Something to repell Possum's URGENTLY!!

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

SOLVED.....SOLVED.....SOLVED.....SOLVED

Hi All,

I am having heaps of trouble from possums eating my succulents.

Anyone have any idea's.

Plants completely sytipped over night....................................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Debi

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009 1:50 PM

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

A night out waiting patiently with a small firearm might work..

Worked at my house famously... =)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Degarotty ~ are you still amongst the living? LOL
There are no firearms allowed in Australia I suspect.

How about a live trap? We had something plundering and I was banking on catching a feral cat but it was a possum. Baited the trap with a cheap smelly canned cat food. What you do with it after you catch it is entirely up to you...

sorry for the damage. pod

Hey Pod,

In Australia, if we harm Possums we can get a $75,000AUD fine on the spot fine!

If I catch one I will take it for a very long drive and release it into the wild.

Along way away from my home.

But I was told if you remove one possum, another will take it's place, would you know if this is true?????

A Mate from Australia

Debi

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Mate ~ I chuckled because we took the one I trapped for a ride too. On our way to work, we took a side road and then a logging road to turn him out. DH says 'look at him, you fed him so well he is making a beeline back to our house, probably will beat us home'.

Quoting:
I was told if you remove one possum, another will take it's place, would you know if this is true?????
and that probably IS true as they reproduce prolifically. If it is a good habitat for one, it will attact more possums I am sure!

Is he still creating havoc?

Thumbnail by podster
Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm pretty sure we have a continental gap here. The Possums in Australia are not the 'possums we have in the states. I'm not sure what the legaglities would be, but I know they have protected status in Oz, just not how much.

Degarotty, do you have any local agricultural resources that are there to help people solve problems? Or maybe something like Fish and Wildlife here, which is there to help manage interaction between humans and other types of creatures? Maybe one of those would have advice.

Wish I had better ideas, I'll go see if I can find out more....

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I don't know if it works for possums or not (I despise the things) but I've had success with 'Liquid Fence' for deer and it is also for raccoons. Buy it in a concentrate form and mix with water in a sprayer. You spray once a week for a month and then are supposed to spray once a month, but I spray more often. It really stinks pretty bad (made with coyote urine). I don't want to know how they collect the stuff to make it.
Good luck!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

My hubby says he fell in love with me bacause of a possum. Thats a story you guys would have a howl over.

I put moth balls around the plants out side to keep them away.

Lavina

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My son & DIL have a blk. Lab/Rott cross who kills them frequently and deposits the dead bodies at the bottom of the front porch steps so they will be certain to see them. Lately he has been getting mommies with pouches full of babies which the DIL & our DD who lives with us have been hand raising. I am really concerned these little ones are going to grow up unafraid of humans and get killed by some hunter who is approached by them and thinks they must have rabies or something like that. Or raid someone elses chicken house and get shot for it. We have poultry and if they bother mine I will shoot them.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

If there's a good place to release them that is not less than three miles from chickens it should be safe. Possums will only travel about three miles if attempting to return to former digs, unlike raccoons, which have been proved to cover 80 miles. The Possies are a species unlikely to carry rabies because af their low body temp, but most people probably don't know that, or care.

Richmond, TX

Interesting information,Catmad.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Catmad. A vet told us years ago that oppossums can travel 5 miles in one night and you'll never know they left the porch. I am glad to hear about the lack of rabies in most of them. That is a comfort and hopefully will be accepted by the people we tell about their release. However Sheila thinks she may have located a petting zoo who might be willing to take them when the time is right.

Hi Guys,

Yes I am still alive, lol.

I had my mum live here for 6 mths after my S/Dad passed away and her poodlex lived on the back balcony with her kennel.

Now, "touch wood", she seems to have scared the pesky little critter's away.
Shuuuuuuuush, they might hear she has gone.

So, some of my plants are getting little leaves growing again, so I am wrapped.
Some died but I will just have to replace them.

You are all great to go to such great lengths to help, I appreciate all of it.

Your friend from Oz,

Debi

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

If the poodle seemed to help... you might try getting dog hair from a groomers and scattering it about the yard. Sort of virtual doggie... LOL Or if you have a friend with a big possum eating Alsatian, have them save the hair for you. It's gotta send off "I eat possum" vibes... =0)

Jayryunen,

I had to giggle to myself when reading your post.

You are funny, I rent my house so most of my "good" plants are in pots (in case I ever have to move).
They live on my back patio, my good plants, and I have a dog but she lives in the yard and is too big to be on the back porch.

Would it hurt do you think if I put her hair on top of the soil, maybe???????

Great post, pleasure to read, thanks my new friend,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Hair is supposed to be a good mulch... it breaks down slowly into nitrogen for the plants.

LOL... do you realize that when you click on the picture of your dog, the first thing that comes up is a blank page with the words... Photo of Something to Repel Possums URGENTLY!!! LMAO

Are those rascally possums strolling through this girl's (?) yard? If so, you really need to show her some film of wolves and hunting dogs and what not. She needs to get in touch with her roots! And off the chaise lounge... heavens, don't let the possum see that pic! LOL

She looks like a lovely dog, by the way. =o)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Some specimens of even the most aggressive breeds have no aggressiveness at all in them. I've know of Dobies, Rotts, etc. who were the biggest lap babies I've ever seen. Then again, I've had Toy Fox Terriers who thought they were the biggest, meanest, most fearless dogs in the country and were more than willing and ready to prove it to anyone at any time.

Your dog is so pretty. There is the possibility that some of her hair might help repel the opposums.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

LOL... tell me about it, I've got Pit Bulls. Luv sponges.
Although one of them is H on gophers...

Jayryunen,

I just clicked on Elli-May's picture to see what you meant and I also had to PMSL.

Yeah, she is the scariest dog..........................NOT! But a good deterent as I live alone.

I will start to collect her hair and put in the pots and dig it in.

I had breed Rotties since 1984 but lost my best boy due to a vet making a mistake while desexing him. Shattered my world as he was the last of my original line from 1984.

I thought they were going to desex him by nicking the ball bags and taking them out, a couple of stiches and he would be ok.
But (for a reason no-one will tell me) they cut him along the pizzel, pushed his balls up through there and took them. Two days later he was dead and my neighbours were trying to console me, I am so lucky with my neighbour's. They are fantastic!!

The vet would not speak to me about it and I never took a photo of the wound (I didn't think he was going to die) so I have no evidence that they did it that way. And just like Dr's, Vets stick together in a small place.

Anyway, had my say and he is here with me, he was cremated and I have a shrine for him. He was a cancer dog, we used to visit the kids in the cancer ward, they loved him.

Your Friend,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Put a little amonia in a bottle, and dig in the soil to keep it upright, and keep the amonia in the bottle.Small game think its a larger animals territory.Even keeps the cats out of the garden. Mike

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Ah, what a sweet boy... I'm sorry you lost him. Was he a talker? I knew one that looked a lot like your boy and he was such a talker... scared people to death when he'd visit the clinic where I worked, 'cause he'd chew/growl and grumble at everyone but we on the staff knew he was just conversin'. LOL

That is an odd way to neuter... anything. I was a vet tech for 10 years and I can't think of any animal we neutered that way. It was always done the way you expected... cat, dog, horse, goat. Well, water under the bridge now. =o(

I just love the bully breeds... they're such goomy hams.

Here's my current girl... she's a pit/lab. And she'd probably do a job on your possum.

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

And here's River putting up with me...

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Jayryunen here is my pit/lab cross. We took him in after he was tossed out on the road. Can you tell how ferocious he is?

Thumbnail by Calalily
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Oooo, I'm terrified... for the safety of my donuts. LOL

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

He loves donuts, you would not be safe!
He is good at keeping the opossums out of my bananas and papayas though. He barks at them, the australian shepherd/border collie cross I have will kill them if she catches them.
Here is Brandy, she keeps the critters out of the garden. Even though we have a fence, we had to install an invisible fence along side it because she jumps fences.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Pretty girl!...

Yeah Jayryunen,

He was indeed a talker.

And I am sure he used to try to muuuuum! lol

He was a one in a million, thats for sure............................

Debi

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Rowr...ow..owr..mmpf
[[grin]]
=0)

Hey Guys,

Just found out something that may help...................

To make a garlic or chilli spray that stops possums eating your plants.
Place two tablespoons of freshly crushed garlicor finely chopped hot chilli into one litre of hot water. Allow to stand overnight.

Next day spray plants.

Let me know how it goes.......or I will let you guys know.

Debi

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Was it the garlic or the chili that worked?

Gidday Again Jayryunen,

I have tried both and both work!

So it is just what you have on hand as to which one you use.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Your Aussie Mate,

Debi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images