Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hydrangeas: Endless Summer- Do they REALLY bloom on new wood?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 12, Views: 171
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6677503

I have 'Blushing Bride' and it will be going into it's third season this year. So far, the only blooms it's given me were the ones from the previous year's buds that survived the winter. I even went to the trouble of protecting it this past winter, but I don't know if I want to continue that tradition, even though I have lots of flower buds this year. After all, I thought the whole point of Endless Summers was so that those of us in the colder zones could have our flowers without the winter protection ordeal.

So those of you with Endless Summer types..do you ever actually get those blooms on new wood, and are they plentiful?

Also, if you don't winter protect, is it likely the overall size of the plant will stay more compact?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6677814

From some posts I've seen over the last couple years, it seems like it often takes ES a couple years to really get going on the new wood blooms. Most of those posts were about the original ES, but I expect Blushing Bride wouldn't be too different. Since this is their third year, hopefully you'll see a bit more from it this year than you have in the past (it's too early in the season for you to have new wood blooms yet--they would show up later on so I wouldn't get discouraged about this year's performance just yet). As far as size, in your zone if you don't winter protect chances are in many winters most of the above-ground branches will die back, so it should stay more compact. But if you have a mild winter then you may not get as much dieback.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6677841

Thanks, ecrane. I did also mean to ask, when in the summer you would typically expect to see the blooms on new wood. I just moved BB, so I know it will take a few more years yet for it to settle in.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6677929

You will only get blooms on new wood if you remove the first blooms.

I would keep on protecting if you want early blooms.

My Endless summer is loaded this year and I winter protected. I think it is worth the time it takes to protect for the blooms you get. Some of mine are 8 inches across and glorious lavender (didn't add anything to blue them last fall or this spring)

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6678164

Ah, see, I would not have known that you need to remove the old blooms! I usually leave them because I think they are pretty as they fade. I don't really mind adding the leaves in the fall, since we have a couple of huge oaks in the yard...but boy, is taking them off in the Spring a chore I hate. I don't know if I need early blooms if the later ones (that I'm *supposed* to get) are just as nice, you know? I have another macrophylla, Merritt's Supreme, that I do feel is worth protecting for the deep purple blooms I get with that one...I don't have anything else in my shady garden that packs as much punch with color. Just don't know if I have it in me anymore to deal with leaves for two of them.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6678230

I use straw since I don't have oak trees and I have to buy it for my roses anyway.
man1410
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6684724

I have about 10 ES and they will keep blooming till Thanksgiving in GA. They do need heavy feeding to do this here for me.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6686003

I only feed my hydrangeas with Holly-tone once in the early Spring...am I not feeding them enough?
man1410
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6693648

I feed liquid fertilizer once a month to the ES, less frequently when too hot.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6724932

Well, this is interesting. My neighbors directly across the street planted some hydrangea in front of their house last year...landscapers did it for them. When they didn't build cages around them for the winter, it prompted my husband to ask me why I was messing with the leaves. I told him, "well, just watch- they won't have lots of pretty flowers come next summer". Sure enough, I looked over there today and theirs are loaded with blooms!!! I don't know what kind they are, but I'm sure they are some form of Endless Summer. Gah!
man1410
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6725603

Mine have finished the first round of blooms and lots of new growth has started.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6726701

I didnt think hydrangas were heavy feeders,couldnt that discourage blooms??? I have glowing embers,I have a few buds on new wood, this is the 4 th yr for them,not real happy with them ,,or me I should say!!! I didnt protect them,but what Ive seen on mine is they make it through the winter , spring they start to show growth on the old wood,then we have a cold snap and thats the end of the old growth,so I cut them back again.I put in a Lanarth white last yr,looks like its full of blooms on new wood,and it is spose to have either pink or blue centers surrouned by white,cant wait to see this one in bloom,bought it on clearance last yr.And I will pinch old blooms on the es and see if that helps bring more blooms.Iam curious about the feeding though!!!
man1410
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6729827

This year paid a lot of attention to feeding and the results have been excellent. All the paniculatas have more buds than ever before as well. I have been feeding MG liquid once or twice a month since early spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America