craigslist advice?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

No, not going to meet someone @ motel for a massage but . . :) I am not a good barterer or price-er. $200 listed as a costco purchased free standing air conditioner. 1 yr old but seller lost the remote. Says the list price is $400 but I checked &the list price for that style w/ 10,000 btu's is $350. I will offer a lower price but what is reasonable for this? or a great deal for me?

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

After something is a year old, it should be about half price. With the remote gone, it should be even less. And what about the warranty? Look at CL in other areas to see if you can find other prices for comparable items; in other words, do more homework on the pricing. This price looks high to me, but I like my bargains to be priced rock bottom. If you make an offer, make it at least 50 bucks less than what you're willing to pay. The worst thing they can do is say no. Good luck!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thank you missy___! I have gotten great deals/items on CL but usually from sellers who just want something gone. Are you a CL'er?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Used, with no remote, I'd offer 1/3 of the original price and ask to see the receipt to make sure of the age of it. Maybe it fell off the back of a truck. I deal with CL and believe me I've run into some goofy people but, also good deals. Ya never know. If you offer a lower price, they can always try for more or say no. Nothing to lose.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

The deal that I got 'stung' on was this "sweet" girl that did not want me to get lost in the confusing development that she lived in so met me @ local shopping center parking lot. Actually, she met my dh. A king size bed frame, hollywood style. $15 but the one major piece of metal was missing. The rest of my 5 or 6 have been good honest folk. And great deals, to say the least. I so appreciate feedback.

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

I've done tons of buying and selling on CL, and so far everyone I've dealt with has been really decent. But when it comes to cars, it's something else. I got a car on CL a few years ago, and could not believe all the car scams on that site.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't like CL.
They have too many stupid rules.
I don't like the 'flagging' thing either.
They have their own little 'cliques' of users that control everything.
They don't allow pet sales, well do they think pets are free? Animals cost money to raise, license, vet, ect.... But somehow they think it is evil to make money selling a pet. ?

The discussion boards are full of rude, people using foul language.
It also says to beware of anyone out of your area or using any form of payment but cash. Uh, what about ebay? Almost everything I bought on there was WAY out of my area, and all was money orders just about. I have had very little to no trouble with them, so why should CL be any different?

The other thing is, if you list something out of your area, the 'flaggers' will get you. I live in a rural area, It is nothing for me to drive 2 hours to get something I want. And they the closest area listed for me is an hour away anyway. But if I list something in an area that is two hours from me, it gets flagged. I just can't stand CL. I only use it as a last resort.

Check the free section and make sure he isn't moving and prepared to dump it regardless.

This used to happen all of the time when I lived in a high-rise apartment building. People would post ads demanding 50-60% of what they had paid for some piece of furniture, and come the end of the month the item was out by the dumpster.

I should add that I gave away my A/Cs with comparable specs.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

what is a SWAMP COOLER? I thought I knew what they were but thought it was exclusively for humid areas like the south.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Actually swamp coolers are for dry areas--they don't work in humid areas (contrary to what you would think from the name!) Some people around here have them, although central air seems to be more popular. Here's a description of how they work if you're interested http://www.wonderquest.com/swamp-coolers.htm

Crossville, TN

I LOVE my swamp cooler..and it is so cheap to run....I also have an A/C (that is broken)...I am not going to bother getting it fixed.

There is a few days in monsoon season when a swamp cooler is not as good as an A/C...due to the climb in humidity....but I'll get through without running the AC....I did run my AC one year for a few days and my electric bill was a shocker!!

When I moved to AZ from FL the swamp cooler was new to me.
Jo

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Jo, when it is humid does it work at all or just not cool enough to cut the humidity?

Crossville, TN

It works rather well...but doesn't take the humidity out of the air...but for the $$ I'll go over to my DD's that runs the AC that week!! LOL

I'm not home much in the day time any how...and here in the High Desert nights are usually cool enough to sleep well. jo

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Speaking of the pet ads...they probably shouldn't allow pet ads at all. There are some very sick people out there. In one local case a young guy was getting cats through CL and torturing them before he eventually killed them. Actually, now that I think about it, there were two guys involved in that case. I know there have been other cases also.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Isn't animal abuse how Jeffrey Dahmer got started? And a few others? There are other questionable ads on Craigslist that resulted in assaults and murder, and they haven't cancelled those kinds either.

I believe pet ads (for sale) are forbidden. That's why people all claim "fees." Not unlike actual kids.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2009 10:56 AM

Bryan, TX

I recently listed some daylilies for sale and sold over $500 worth in 3 weeks. However, there were those people that kept writing and asking if I needed help selling stuff. Well, duh, I'm doing just fine.

That's the only experience I have with CL.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

People could mistreat pets they find on the street, get for free out of a newspaper or get for free off of Craigs. Why would it matter if the pet was sold or not?

I guess my point is that Craigs only allows 'free' animals, I don't see anything wrong with making money selling animals, and I think if people had to pay for an animal they would be more apt to take care of it, and really want it before taking one just because it is free.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Frilly, I doubt that craigslist is passing judgment on you, specifically, for selling animals, but instead operating under the assumption that as a business owner you can buy advertising; the average person who has found some stray kittens can't. There is also the issue of not unwittingly participating in the unscrupulous behavior that is exhibited by, say, puppy mills.

I love craigslist & have made many friends from the wonderful people who have answered my ads for free stuff & for my moving sale.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important craigslist transaction of all! I found my fantastic new house, for which I got a screaming deal, on craigslist last October. The sellers have also become dear friends AND I found a really nice Americorps intern to rent a room this winter & help defray my mortgage (yes, via craigslist).

So if there really is "little 'cliques' of users that control everything" -- all I can say is, keep up the good work!

Here is the previous owners' late Rottie, Autumn, saying hi in a pic from that fateful craigslist ad:

Thumbnail by summerkid
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

We bought a stove on CL and the seller delivered it and then stayed for 30-40 min to make sure it fit etc and visited. Just a sweetheart of a guy.

(Zone 6b)

I had never used craig's list before, but recently asked on there if anyone had hay for sale they could deliver. Got a not back that said, "Call Hank" and a phone number.

It was awesome. I'm so grateful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images