Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fodder
Whitman, MA

June 13, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6682123

in the center of this shot, you can see how the branch has almost snapped itself off. the leaves of a few of my plants are turning black, and curling. they are not dry, they're still moist to the touch. from what i've researched, it doesn't look like classic fusarium wilt, or bacterial canker, or other problems...i have not been able to pinpoint what it is. can anyone here help? are these plants doomed?

i'd like to add that we've had a lot of cloudy and rainy days lately. i doubt over-watering is the problem, but i wanted to mention it.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2009 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by fodder
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fodder
Whitman, MA

June 13, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6682196

i pulled this branch from a neighboring plant. maybe the beginnings of the same problem?
i didn't see this stuff 2-3 days ago, when we had a break in the rain, and i went out inspecting. i have found some aphids on the plants, but that doesn't look like aphid damage to me.

Thumbnail by fodder
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kitchenshop
Craig, CO
(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6683236

There is a thread about yellow tomato leaves that has some good links to pictures of tomatoes. Maybe that will help you diagnose your problem.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6683695

My first thought was spider mites. When we had such rainy, cloudy, humid days, I was battling them. Do you see any type of webbing or small almost invisible spider creatures?
fodder
Whitman, MA

June 15, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6690913

I have not seen any webbing, or small spiders, no. Then, i read somewhere, that there's a thin line between an insecticidal soap, and a plant killing herbicide...and i thought...
Weds, when i saw aphids had in fact found my tomato plants...wifey mixed up a solution of warm water and dish soap, which i sprayed on any plants i saw the aphids. Saturday, those plants looked like the ones in the photos. Could i be killing off my plants by using too much soap maybe? in trying to get rid of the aphids, am i doing more harm than good?? OUCH!
here i am trying to diagnose the problem...and maybe I AM the problem??? !!!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6692616

When are you watering? If you're watering in the morning and the water stays on the leaves during the day, that could be causing them to burn. Spray either late at night (around dusk) or very, very, very early in the morning.
IllinoisGarden4
Joliet, IL

June 16, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6692770

Depends on the soap
try useing a white bar soap water mix.
i wouldnt use dish soap

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America