Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Books, Movies, and TV: Is the book always better than the movie?

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 19, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6688024

Did anyone else see the movie "The Soloist" - Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr.? I just saw it this afternoon and immediately went out and picked up the book, which is exactly what I had planned to do; knowing that the book would probably give a lot more (and better) insight, but wanting to enjoy both. It's also nice, sometimes, to have a face, city, buildings, etc. already to put to it without visualizing (often wrongly) unfamiliar territory.

I've gotten about 20 pages into the book and am finding the movie pretty true to it so far, which is really nice.

Anyone else have a book vs. movie experience?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6688135

Is the book always better than the movie? That depends on which medium you prefer and can identify with. I prefer the book on some days but, then the next, I prefer the movie. Being a mostly visual person, more impact is gained for me by sight. BUT, I like a good read because my mind can conjure images not possible in the movie medium. A good story can only be enjoyed by the person viewing/reading if they can subconsciously convey meaning...

Boy, I'm starting to sound like a professor! LOL My apologies. I get carried away, sometimes.

Lord of the Rings. I much preferred the movie but only because, in my mind, it was a different story than the book. I separated them as different mediums (apple and oranges) and, therefore, different things. Music has a big impact on the movie going experience, too. I love a great soundtrack and LotR has one of the best!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2009 8:22 PM
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6692519

Oh geez - Lord of the Rings I could have watched without sound. That was an incredibly shot movie. I plowed my way through 'The Hobbit' when I was younger, but my imagination (even at Sir Tolkein's prompting) just couldn't match that scenery. Hope some day to see New Zealand for myself.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6692635

I would love to visit there, too! Such a beautiful place. I don't know how many times I've read the books. There is a line that hit me hard when I was younger...

Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6697944

Great quote.

Finished "The Soloist" ... a little put out at the movie makers for a number of slights. First off, Nathaniel was definitely capable of anger and did direct it at Steve in a rather frightening way during one situation, but he never actually hit him as the movie showed. I feel like that just feeds off of the misconceptions of mentally ill; violent and dangerous.

The other kind of misstep was portraying one of the cellists that gave Nathaniel lessons as an evangelical Christian who didn't know when to stop. Not fair for the cellist(s) (there were a few of them) and not fair to the Evangelicals, frankly.

But the book was definitely worthwhile.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #6699151

Well, if the movie were exactly like the book, what would be the point?

I haven't read the book but I know that some people would get something different than you or I. I guess I mean to say, it's all perspective. Is one of the characters autistic or mentally challenged in another way?
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6699165

one book i can remember is the notebook...i liked the movie a lot better than the book. usually this is not the case with me as i like words. but the book plodded along for me while the movie did not.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6701703

Yes, Nathaniel (the musician) is a paranoid schizophrenic (and street person) and Steve is the newspaper columnist who befriended him. Sorry, didn't give you much to go on, did I?

Mammajack, did you just see the movie? I just saw the preview for it, I didn't realize it was already out.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6702332

PG, it's enough to peak my intererst. ^_^
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6703447

Well, and it's a true story, so... at least, the book is!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #6703942

i don't know pagancat. wasn't the notebook his first book? i think that was the one but the one i'm talking about was out a good while ago.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6704902

Comparing Kite Runner book to movie. - I thought the movie did justice but could never go to the depth of the book therefore loses something. The time it takes to READ may allow us to become more involved with the characters--No?
But a movie may allow the creation of some awesome visuals which a writer may not have the skill to convey.
The book is the value for dollars per hour of entertainment!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #6709604

When I was recovering from surgery I read The Horse Whisperer. Shortly after that I saw the movie. I was disappointed with the movie because they left out scenes and changed the ending. I think if a lead character dies in the book the movie should follow suit. Maybe Robert Redford didn't want to be in a movie where he dies. I thought they should have stuck to the book.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6711477

See, I *am* living in the boonies. I didn't know they made The Kite Runner into a movie.

Mammajack, was The Notebook the one where the one sister was "made" to save the other one?

My mom just finished The Horse Whisperer - she didn't say anything about it.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6711629

pagan...wasn't the notebook the one where the husband was reading a diary of sorts. it was all about him and his wife who was now elderly with alzheimer's? lol. am i remembering wrong?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6712984

Probably not, I'm taking all my information from a movie preview. I recognized Ms. Picoult's name during the preview, I'm looking at her site now and am thinking maybe they just said "And the author of 'The Notebook' = 'cause the movie is called 'My Sister's Keeper'.

Ooops. Sorry, Mamajack, I got that one all sorts of confused!!!!
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6713203

that's alright pagan. i don't remember so good myself. lol
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6714431

Pagancat, did your mom see the movie too? In the book he (Redford) dies and she goes back to New York with hubby and has his (Redford's) baby. Ask your mom, because I red the book in 1999 while on post-surgery pain meds.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6714586

i read fried green tomatoes. laughed and cried all the way. then i saw the movie. i liked them both as separate entities. some stuff you just can't mess up.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6714628

No, I don't think she did, Pastime... ... that's a big difference in story lines, pain meds or none! >grin<

I agree with you on Fried Green Tomatoes - both were a separate (and wonderful) experience.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America