AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #6689076

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/999600/

Everyone is welcome to post your weather and chat a while!

76.6 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 68 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Partly cloudy in the morning...then mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

It has been a scorcher. We are on day 7 of 90+ temps with no breaks in the forecast. WX says 92/93, but it was closer to 95* Saturday and Sunday. Too hot to do anything. Even the sunbathers are complaining that it feels like 300* on the beach!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2009
11:08 AM

Post #6689153

Good morning!

Partly cloudy, bright, light breeze and 55F. Sunshine at the moment. Sunrise at 2:57 this morning and sunset at 10:59 pm.

Gorgeous Hibiscus Sharon. Sorry it's so hot over there ... must be just miserable. Wish I could send over a cool breeze ... the videos are the best I can do ... maybe if you turn the fan to top speed while watching them and think coooool 55F it'll work ;-) lol
Probably not ... I'm planning to do a midnight video one of these nights ...

Ric - looks great! What a difference! You must be so pleased :-) Great job!

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 15, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #6689175

Another beautiful morning.
65 at 6:15 AM
Wind, calm.
Partly cloudy giving way to sun.
Thunder storms this evening.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6690068

Very pretty Hib, Sharon. I know you hate the heat. Hope it cools a little.

Rann, I'm looking forward to the midnight video!

We might get a break in the weather for a couple od days later this week and then it'll be back to "Pacific North Wet", as one of my DBs called it! LOL

59.6 F
Scattered Clouds with 72 for the high. It's sunny right now but it won't last.
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 15, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6691987

Hi, guys! I have a project too regarding the lawn...me and DH are working on pulling the wrong grass which is a lot! So, vacation it's been like sunbathing on the lawn!LOL Not to mention the back and knees ache...ugh! Lucky the sun is up it's warm outside, 90F and just a breeze from time to time...I might think I'm near the sea!LOL
Ric,, the deck looks great, congratulations!
Rann, wow, a midnight video, can't wait to see it!Beautiful colombines color!
Sharon, what a lovely hibiscus! Love th esweet Pea with her paw up, what a cutie! Thanks for the new thread.
Celia, can't wait to see the shadow garden done!
Pepper, that's a lot of hail! I hope your plants haven't suffered too much!
Bernie, that's a lot of work to do! I hope you aren't overdoing! Nice to see your DW and the great veggies!
Kelli, what a beautiful view and color of the mountains! The dragonfly is awesome!
A view from the flower bed allong the alley.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6692220

Whew--it's sure hard to catch up with everything when you have been gone for a week. There is not any way I can comment on everything but the photos are lovely and I did skim through the posts.
It was hard to come back to heat and humidity after being in Canada where it was cool and not humid. Currently it is 91F and very humid at 5:20 p.m. Abundant sunshine yesterday and today but we did have some rain on Sunday. I'm sure the flowers, trees and lawns were glad of it because it dries out so fast in this kind of heat. I'm sorry to hear about the drought in Texas--sure hope you folks get some rain soon!

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to my photos of Niagara Falls--a simply awe-inspiring place!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/NiagaraFalls?authkey=G...

I also came home to daylilies blooming. This one is Pearl Harbor--a gift from another DGer on the Mid-South Forum.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 5:20 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6692901

2 days of lower humidity here - about 50% - sure feels good. Things are taking off. Temps in the low 80's and beautiful sunshine for two days in a row.
Clematis: Climador. - It is the beginning of its third year.

Thumbnail by se_eds

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6693210

Adina your yard and beds are filling in nicely!
LOTS of work but it's really starting to show.

Mau Welcome Back! (to the Sauna)
We used to go fishing about 70 miles north of Toronto every Summer.
Loved the cool escape.

se_eds that's a hard bloomer there. Sweet!

Rann our Columbines are already going to seed.
I miss those little guys. Thanks for the shot!

Cool Car Sharon!
As for the temps... it's FL you KNEW it was coming...lol!
When I lived there in FT L I remember getting up one morning and it was 90 already.
That's when I started getting ready to move back up here.

It's 73 and raining about 30 miles south of us.
We may get a bit of it.
Late tomorrow T-Storms again.
We've been lucky nothing violent so far.
Some close lightning and heavy rains but little wind or drafts.

We worked on the backyard again today.
Robyn smoothed out the rough spots and planted a bunch of stuff.
I caulked the doors and preped them for painting.
Then started putting up the cedar shakes above the deck.
The blue insulation is slowly going away...lol!

They learn quickly! LOL!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6693534

Giving it a WIDE berth! LOL

Had a great day watching TV. Discussed shade plants with my niece (she has an area that is mostl shade, too) and we had a good time. I'm going to Oregon with my brother next week so we made plans to get some plants for both of us when I get home.

Dang! I'm already missing you all!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6693583

LOL Celia!

Is that a Studebaker Commando back there? Oh Man!

Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6693605

Hello,

Here's watch & warning weather in MO...

http://www.wunderground.com/severe.asp?region=mw&setprefs.0.key=SVRMAP&setprefs.0.val=mw#gotoMap

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6693611

Is it? I had trouble reading some of my notes for the pics.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6693721

Didn't see the bumper on it.
It's, I'm pretty sure, a 1950 Studebaker Champion.
Still a sweet ride.
I love Studebakers. If I win the lottery it will be my first car, maybe 2nd and 3rd...lol!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #6693743

Oh cool! My handwriting is getting bad, even for me! LOL It does say Champion on it. Thanks, Ric.

Not the same car but...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #6694289

Rann Turn that fan this way!
Celia LOL! I love car shows and that license plate is too funny!
Adina Your lawn is looking good!
Mau Your daylily is gorgeous! Love the Niagara Falls pics! I remember Joey went a couple of years ago.
Se_eds The clematis is beautiful!
Ric Not this soon for the August temps. Way too hot right now. What are you doing with Sylvester up there?!
Celia That lady will be down here on the golf course soon!
Rusty Where have you been? Watch out for that nasty weather.

77.7 F
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 69 F
Wind: 3.2 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 F
Clouds: Few 6500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 95. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Heat index readings 100 to 104.

No changes in sight for the temps. WX is saying 99* this weekend. This it not normal. Were 2 months ahead of schedule for this type of heat. Ive had to move sun plants into shadier areas.

NOID brug blooming!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6694390

Good morning!

Pretty blustery this morning, cloudy and rain in the forecast. Temp around 50F I think.

Sharon - the brug is gorgeous! :-)

seeds - beautiful clematis

Ric - LOL at the cat :-) The columbines are just starting up here ... that's one of the first to flower.

Marsue - welcome back! Beautiful daylily :-)

Adina - your flowerbed is looking good!

Rann

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6694769

Oh, I just watch the babies hawk just pecked each other on foods...

So, Trying to find the way to get rid of the tree or save it but it's not work for to save tree cause of the roots so bad... So, I just hate to hire some guy know about tree safety...

I get ready for paint in bedroom as I has to clean out all the boxes out of bedroom first... It take my time not to hard work for my hip... I gonna to remove the carpet, too! It bad ugly color like salt (white) & blue...
Color will be Homestead Resort Pumpkin paint from Lowe's...

Raining still soak around here and sure lightning hit pretty bad to scared Rusty! Rusty lying down by me while I type for this...

I will be pretty busy...

Take Care...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6695087

Celia we saw a boat (yacht to me) down in NC named 'Kate's 401K'.

Wu does the same thing during a storm.
Stay Safe!
Tree experts cost some more but...

Sharon Sylvester took a little vacation... somewhere cool(er).
The Brugs we got from Marcy and overwintered at work are doing FAR better than any we've ever grown.
They dropped their leaves in January but were about 50% leafed out by the time we got them home in April.

Rann enjoy them!

72 and a bit hazy. That's actually a bit warm for this early in the morning.
If we get any rain it's supposed to be overnight.
Shouls get to 82 today.

We're currently making Ice Cream.
Bought a new IC maker on Amazon. Prices have come WAY down... technology WAY up so...
The old salt and ice is a memory.
So the testing begins.
One of the ORVG members makes her own Yogurt and we're going to give it a try.
Then it's Frozen Yogurt! W/ real Vanilla Beans.

Here I am working on the patio.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6695108

A VERY rare shot.
Spook almost never comes outside.
Guess she likes the deck.

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6695604

65.8 F with 76 for the high. Going to be nice today so I can get something done outside.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 44 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
Scattered Clouds 16000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6695700

Ric - Spook looks happy 'cause now she can go outside without getting her pretty paws dirty ;-) lol She's a beauty!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 16, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6696312

Ric, Spook is a beauty...they both are! I was going to say the same as Celia!LOL Good job!
Mau, great pics! Welcome back!
I have daylilies blooming too!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6696349

67 and 3/10'' of rain so far. It's been a wonderful cool, if not downright chilly, two weeks of June. After today tho... it's going to get hot and really stormy. I DO hope they're lying about the straight line winds we might have later this week!

I've been outside most of these days trying to catch up on weeding and gardening. The spinich is bolting so I'm blanching and freezing most of it now. The pulled spinich rows will be my next green bean plantings for canning.

We had the grandson's overnight Sunday, so we set up the tent and slept out. (We slept on the air mattress.) It was nice!

I'm so far behind it's hard to get back in the groove. I seem to have 50 things on my mind.

Sharon, a beautiful Hibiscus bloom to start us off!

Rann, I need your early sunrise. I never have enough time in a day to get it all done :o) I love your columbine!! Mine are almost done.

Bernie, your weather is my weather.

Kwanjin, love the ''black and white''

Adina, you have the perfect place for the flowerbed! I'd love to have the same set-up!

Mau, gorgeous daylily! Mine are just putting up stalks.

Seeds, what a lovely color for a clematis! Very calming.

Ric, I see you and Robyn are busy as usual. Love the cactus and the pussy footin!

Kwanjin, Oregon sounds like a nice place to bring back iris from! It's so nice to have someone to talk plants with. Love the lady picture :o) DH likes to go to car shows and I enjoy it too. Too bad he doesn't enjoy plants as much.

Rusty, hope you don't get bad weather. The pumpkin color sounds beautiful! Take your time and yes, go easy on that hip!

Sharon, it's too hot!! Lovely Brug!

Ric, we made ice cream for my Dad's b'day at the end of May, but with ice and salt and it's a fairly new maker LOL! ROTFL over ''you'' working on the patio!! Gorgeous white kitty! Love her name!

Kwanjin, Have a Happy day!!

Just make a game of it and lock em up!

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6696793

bp I know at least 5 people who will pay big bucks for that cage now that school's out...

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6696809

LOLOL!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6696856

LOL, BP, at locking up the grandkids!
Celia: love the classic cars and how about that hairdo! It's a classic, too! LOL Have a great time in Oregon with your brother next week! I'll be interested in hearing more about that shade garden when you get back.
Ric: [quote]When I lived there in FT L I remember getting up one morning and it was 90 already.
That's when I started getting ready to move back up here.[/quote]
You are just too funny! Also, ROFLOL at "you" working on the patio and the kitty taking a wide berth around the cactus. It doesn't take a smart cat long to learn to stay away from those things! By the way, did you by any chance go fishing in the Grand River when you were in Canada?
Rusty: let us know how the painting and remodeling comes along. The color sounds pretty.
Sharon: it's been unseasonably hot here, too. Yesterday it was in the 90's which is unusual for June.
No clouds and plenty of sunshine and currently 90! We usually don't get this kind of heat until mid-July. I postponed mowing the yard yesterday because of the heat. I think I may have to do that again today. The grass doesn't grow as fast when it is this hot. (excuses, excuses! LOL)

The bee balm, both purple and red, are growing like crazy in my flowerbed. They must love this heat! That's the Pearl Harbor daylily to the right.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6696917

Adina, a lovely shade of orange! For June, daylilies are my favorite! They do better than my roses.

Ric, LOL! And vacation has only begun!! They wanted back in later that day too!

Marylyn, all my favorite flowers in one bed! My beebalm hasn't started, but it won't be long. I have those colors and the pink.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6696978

That IS really pretty, Marilyn!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6697149

ROTFLOL at those kids!!! Perfect!

Mau, Jean has already picked a few items for her shady spots. Impatiens, coral bells and fuchsias. My bee balm hasn't bloomed yet, either. If I remember correctly, the lady had conflicting colors, which would be perfect for Sharon's golf courses! LOL

Adina, gorgeous daylily.

DebinSC last fall sent me some Louisiana Iris 'Gamecock' and today I found this!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 16, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6697287

2PM~ 58 mostly cloudy but warm, degrees.
Yesterday, it was up to 67*F and we experienced a wonderful thunder storm in the early evening. We were at the gkids soccer practice and watched the sky darken over the mts. Very impressive sight and doesn't happen too often.
Loved catching up w/you all. Can't seem to get back in sync with thread.
11pm last night a faint rainbow lit up a portion of the vertical face of Pioneer Peak.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6697422

Rusty You always busy! I hope the storms have stopped so Rusty can get some peace. Id ask for advise too about the tree.
Ric A word of warningSylvester is a pig in cats skin..uh fur! Im glad your brugs made. I really thought I had lost ours to all the freezes over the winter. Now youve done ityou made me want an ice cream maker sigh LOL at your yard worker! Spook is a beauty and so dainty! Is she solid white?
Adina Pretty daylilys!
Sally How much for the cage?
Mau Your garden is beautiful! It really is way too hot for June. Even my friends who LOVE the heat are complaining!
Celia- Beautiful iris!
Kiska- That is the most beautiful picture! Im having issues keeping up too. Seems there isnt enough time in a day to do everything I want/need.

Now
Through 630 PM...isolated showers and thunderstorms continue to develop over northeast Florida. The showers are moving south at 10 to 15 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Talbot Island...Mayport...Palm vally... Fruit Cove...St Augustine...Hastings...Crescent Beach...Palm Valley...Lake Butler and La Crosse. Expect...heavy downpours...strong gusty winds...small hail and dangerous cloud to ground lightning with thunderstorm activity. Heavy downpours of rain will produce ponding water on roads.

We had a small storm breeze through around 5pm. Just enough to steam everything up... :P

Lady Margaret is alive and kicking!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6697673

Rann, I think the reason why Hildur Eva thought the videos were boring is because she didn't have a part in making them - some sibling rivalry there.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on June 16, 2009
77 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 17 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Steady)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3800 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Here's my archnemisis, baby mockingbird. This thing squeals loudly every three seconds from sunup until dark. It about drives me nuts. I guess it's obvious that I am not from the South. He's kind of cute, but I get tired of listening to him.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6697682

cholla cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6697688

I like peach flowers with grey foliage. This is some kind of kalanchoe.

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6697830

LOL - Kelli - you might be on to something there ... she really didn't see the point in "filming" the route to Reykjavk which we drive all the time ... very mundane to her ;-) lol Although she did make a point quite a few times that the video wasn't very good (and that it was certainly because Selma didn't do a good enough job! lol)

I empathize with you on the loud mockingbird baby ... we don't have mockingbirds over here but we have Starlings and when the babies leave the nest they don't stop their shreeking for a few days ... They were really driving me nuts a while back, there seemed so many of them they must have been from more than one nest. My yard was like a starling nursery! lol Can't tell you how glad I was when they flew off finally! lol

Very pretty flowers!

Mau - wonderful photos from Niagara! Your flowerbed is stunning! Love that combination :-)

Sharon - AHH Lady Margaret - always a pleasure :-)

Kiska - beautiful view :-)

Sally - LOL at the grandkids :-)

Celia - pretty iris. Has anyone heard from Deb lately? Haven't seen her around here for a while.

Have a good night. Tomorrow is a holiday - our Independence Day :-)

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6698553

Mau GREAT Photos!
We were mostly lake fishers up there and in FL and creek fishers around here.
Rice Lake comes to mind in Ont.
Lovely Monarda! They just mildew up here.

Sharon, Alton Brown's Vanilla Ice Cream recipe is perfect!
Add 3/4 cup Dutch Cocoa and so is the Chocolate.
I have Mexican Vanilla Beans coming from Boston Vanilla... YUM!
Spook is pure white and a short hair, Missy pure white med/long hair,
Kat a pure black w/ just a small spot of white short hair and Emmit is almost a tuxedo. All share the same mother...

Rann HAPPY Holiday!
Fireworks film?

Kelli I love the Cholla. We raised them for a while. Never seen the flowers before. Gorgeous!
We have a mockingbird that does Cardinal and Hawk calls... drives the squirrels crazy!

ANOTHER T-Storm is moving thru.
I went out and scrubbed the deck down as it started.
Nature's pressure wash!
The deck is done, final tally.
One 11x6 deck and 3 4x4 steps. So 114 square' of not mud! LOL!
Now we have to find more cedar shingles. Lowe's no longer carries them.

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6698635

HOT and HUMID!!!! Last night we had some major storms roll through. No damage around here but Drexel, MO got up to 90- 110 mph straight line winds and have damage on 45% of the buildings in town. They are hardest hit.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6698874

I forgot to add a shot BEFORE the storm.
Here's where we finished off.

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #6699212

Starlings, for some reason, bother me more than any other bird. I chase them out of the neighborhood! LOL The robins, house finches, sparrows and goldfinches all have babies in the surrounding trees.

I see Deb now and then and here and there. I sent her a d-mail with a pic of the flower.

Ric, I'm liking your skills more and more.

I found a pic of our house when we bought it. Quite a change, now, from all the weeds and that stupid tree in front of the window.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
9:58 AM

Post #6699553

Kelli Cool flowers!
Ric Youre killing me with the ice cream! I just might have to break downConograts on the deck being complete! Must be a nice feeling knowing the hard part is over. Now you can concentrate on the little wants not needs!
Pepper Wow stay safe in those storms. Hurricane force winds
Celia- The lawn looks so much different! Good job!

72.1 F
Overcast
Humidity: 85%
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 71 F
Clouds: Overcast 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Heat index readings 99 to 103. sigh

We had a serious storm blow through late last night and well into the morning. Too dark to see how much rain and if there are any plants down. The lightening started around 10:30. It woke me up, not from the noise, but from the flashes across the windwos. Looked like someone was waving a flashlight in the back yard.

Callie in her perch

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #6699697

Good morning!

It looks like it'll be a lovely day, partly cloudy, fairly calm and around 55F. Forecast said rain - I hope it'll stay dry at least until the outside festivites are over! lol

Ric - no fireworks today ... too bright ;-) lol The fireworks video will have to wait until New Year's Eve ... THEN you'll see fireworks! lol

Celia - wow what a change! You've done a great job! Your flowerbed along the driveway is so pretty now :-)

Pepper - sorry to hear about the storm, how awful.

Well, I'm off shopping for balloons for the girls ... it's best to buy them early ;-)

Have a good day!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6700097

Ah Rann... I forgot you basically don't have dark this time of year.
That would make fireworks pretty blah.

Celia that is a pretty boring shot of how your place used to look.
MUCH better now!
We've had Iris "Black Gamecock" for many years now.
Water, water, water! In fact we grow it in a pond.
I've given away dozens of hands. 4 just this year at the RU.
It's a Winner!

Kiska that's a GREAT shot!

Sharon, Callie looks exactly like Tren our outdoor buddy for 14 years.

Not since I turned the second upstairs bedroom into a closet have we had so much trouble w/ a design.
Usually we basically see the same thing when we look at a space.
The Patio was a breeze. The deck (after we realized it was too short) a given...
But those steps... started w/ a ramp even set up a mock up, just didn't work... were a three day deal.
Next BIG Project the outdoor bathroom... lol!... REALLY!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6700291

Kelli: the mockingbird is the state bird of Arkansas! --but you would think that they could get their own song instead of copying from the other birds! LOL and they will "dive-bomb" you if you get too close to their nests or a baby on the ground. They also dive-bomb cats and other critters.
Celia: gorgeous LA iris! and the difference in your front yard before and now is amazing!
Ric: LOL-- http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-Outhouse.html --come to Arkansas if you want to know what an outdoor bathroom should look like!! Great job on the deck and "NOT mud" is always nice! Love the shots of your kitties
Sharon: Those thunderstorms can be scary! I heard that while I was in Canada we had straight-line winds up to 60 mph one night and the electricity was off for 9 hours. I threw everything out that was in the freezer--didn't want to take any chances. Had to re-stock on Monday. Love that Callie!
Rann: have a great independence day with the girls!

Another hot day on tap with abundant sunshine. Even though we did get a good rain on Sunday, I may have to water soon. Everything dries up really fast in this heat!
I have an appointment today with the opthalmologist--time for the yearly check-up. I will definitely need new lenses for my glasses--these are all scratched up. However, the appt. is another excuse not to mow my yard! LOL Now, if I can just come up with something for tomorrow!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009 9:22 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6700560

48*F
Gray/cloudy
MySharona~the Lady Marg. is so pretty; I feel as if I know her now. Thanks for keeping her updated. Callie is cool.
ric~there's also a book, "Outhouses of Alaska" that would be fun to read. Bet marsue's site will have interesting ideas, too. Will yours be shower/etc?
marsue~find another excuse for tomorrow? Love your thinking. The photo is beautiful, too. Too bad about the power outage and loss of food.
kelli~that is a beautiful color combination; really enjoy your posts.
pepper~wow~what a storm.
rann~~sounds like fun, no matter the weather or daylight.
kwanjin~great before pic.
Soccer on a stormy night; June 15th.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6700775

Rann, you have a great time with the girls and looking forward to seeing a video of the fireworks! LOL

Sharon, I love that shot of Callie. So cute.

Ric, Darrell really likes what you've done with your side area with the hottub. He says to tell you "Great job!"

Kiska, I looked up Outhouses of Alaska. Looks like fun!

62.1 F with 72 for the high. And thunderstorms. Big surprise. 70% chance.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 29.94 in (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thanks, everyone. I have very much enjoyed the journey. Just for fun, here's how the back used to look just after we cleared out most of the weeds and built the little wall.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6700842

Celia tell Darrell we really appreciate the comment.
It's been a chore... but a fun one.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6701187

Your deck looks great, Ric!! You and Robyn did a great job - as usual. What kind of outdoor bathroom are you thinking about making?

Happy Independence Day, Rann!

Celia, your house really has come a long long way! :-)

Marilyn, I would have thrown everything away in my freezer, too. I'm glad you didn't find a lot of damage when you got home.

Mockingbirds are Texas' state birds, too. We've had a nest in our Mountain Laurels before, and the babies ARE really noisy! The parents are really protective, too, and would dive bomb us as we tried to get in or out of our cars. Silly birds. They haven't nested there again, and although the babies were really cute, I'm glad they didn't. I suspect all of the neighborhood cats scared them off. Several of them like coming into our garden to stalk birds at our feeders, or to nap in the monkey grass. And to use the garden as their litter box. Grrrr... That drives me crazy!

I've had a cold for about a week now. It started out as a pretty mild head cold, but it is rapidly turning into a nasty sinus and ear infection. Ugh.. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist this afternoon to check my thyroid levels. I don't know if she will want to peek in my head and prescribe an antibiotic or not. If not, maybe I'll also visit the doc-in-a-box at our neighborhood Walgreen's. I don't like taking antibiotics, but this is getting worse, not better, and I'm pretty tired of it. I bought the ingredients for chicken soup yesterday. I'm going to get it started as soon as we get home from the appointment.

The weather forecast for this week could be summed up with one word: "ditto".

Detailed text forecast
Today...Partly cloudy until late afternoon then clearing. Highs in the upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight...Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thursday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thursday Night...Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Friday...Partly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Friday Night...Mostly clear in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s.

Saturday Through Tuesday...Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 90s. Lows in the upper 70s.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6701435

I was about to water the garden Monday, then it started raining, and has not stopped for more than a few moments since.

I did harvest one yellow squash and one cucumber yesterday - a little small, but hey they are tender that way.

Care to all.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6701844

We've had a very pleasant day :-) Thanks everyone for the well wishes! It did cloud up while we were attending the festivites and got conciderably cooler as a result. A few drops of rain but nothing worth mentioning. Went home when we were nicely chilled to the bone ;-) lol Will be putting a steak on the grill shortly :-)

Hey to everyone - I'll comment later :-)

Taken back in 2003 ... it's the same every year ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6701914

It is so hot and humid it's not even funny. Low 90s with super high humidity. Tomorrow will be the same except it should hit 95. UGH!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6702233

Rann, regarding your videos, I told DH that I started an international phenomenon.

If all mockingbirds were like the ones around here, I'd say that they are overrated. The only bird they copy is the scrub jay, which just squawks like other jays. If a cat comes into their area, all they do is let out a harsh call over and over, which has no effect on the cats. The ones around here do not attack people, either. I have picked up baby mockingbirds and all the parents do is squawk from at least ten feet away.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on June 17, 2009
79 F
Clear
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 57 F
Wind: 8 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today we went to a place called Paramount Ranch. It used to Paramount's movie ranch. It is a park now but it is still sometimes used to film things. For some reason, they don't provide information on what was filmed in these parks, but I do know that "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" was filmed here.

Notice how the building on the right is of two totally different appearances on the front vs on the side, so they can use it for two different kinds of scenes.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6702242

Thumbnail by Kelli

rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6702296

97degrees everyday for a week and a half
no rain in sight grass crumbles under your feet
it does cool off to 80 at night
at least the humidity has given us a slight break 70%
I have been off work for a couple of weeks and have watered the grass and our little trees everyday
but so is life in Houston if you don't like the weather stick around it'll change.
I wouldn't want it any other way!
luckily I have my Garden on a water timer 15 mins in the morning and 15 in the evening and for some reason in all this heat my veggies are doing great. I consider myself very lucky we are picking tomatoes and cukes and okra everyday and bell peppers. Looks like our blackberries have played out the birds get the few that are still ripening.I don't mind sharing.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6702367

Welcome, Rucky! The weather is like that here, too. Gotta share with the birdies. They give so much back in beauty and amusement.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6702381

That must be extra rough when it doesn't cool down at night.

Thumbnail by Kelli

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6702474

We must be out of that mid western loop here in Pa. Days have been downright chilly. Highs of 60 degrees, raining today. Wow, what an interesting Outhouse page - loved it!
More Clematis blooming Here: "Voluceau" sort of a red grapy color.

Thumbnail by se_eds

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6702544

You have really wimpy mockingbirds, Kelli! Must be that California attitude. I wouldn't try picking up a baby mockingbird here unless I was wearing body armour. LOL

Welcome, rucky! :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6702633

Those clematis are really pretty. I am of the opinion that they wouldn't do well here, but I could be wrong.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6702707

Welcome, rucky! This heat is really getting to all of us here in the south!
Rann: nice photo of the Independence Day parade--even if it was a few years ago. glad you and the girls had fun.
Marylyn: our forecast is practically identical to yours! Heat, heat and more heat!
Kiska: that looks like some downpour in the background of your soccer photo. Did it head your way?
Celia: Your house and lawns probably gave a big sigh of relief when they realized a gardener had come to live there! :o))
Love the photos, Kelli! I used to watch "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" all the time so the buildings look very familiar to me.
Se_eds: love the clematis--I have never grown any but I think they are beautiful!

Still hot, still humid--highs in the mid-90's, heat indexes in the 100's.

Well, I have put it off long enough--got to get outside in about an hour and get the mowing done. It's going to be even hotter tomorrow so waiting for a "cooler" day won't help! LOL Everyone have a good evening!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6702757

Rann- Happy Independence Day!
Mau I was behind a man yesterday at the grocery store. He bought $539 worth of groceries, 3 baskets full. I cant imagine buying that much food in one trip. Thats a lot of food Your coneflowers are so pretty!
Kiska- Callie refused to look at me when I was taking her picture. I kept tapping on the window, finally just took the picture LOL! You had one of our storms!
Dyson I was getting ready to send out a SAR party for you.
Pepper How is it you are having our weather?
Kelli Cool pics!
Rucky Welcome to the forum! Where is Huffman? Im originally from Bellaire. Hot hot hot, I know how you feel
Se_eds I love your clematis! Beautiful!
Mau Were doing the same thingthe back yard needs mowing and I just cant do it right now. Whineits tooooooo HOT!

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 74. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the southwest after midnight.

There is a severe thunderstorm warning in Camden County, GA (just above us). Sounds like we're in for another nasty round tonight unless it moves east.

NOID brug

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6702869

Here's another video. This one is less than 3 minutes. It freezes up near the end, but just bear with it. It will start again. http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/travel_and_culture/watch/v18635951cGkrrFdg#
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6703253

Welcome Rucky!

That's a neat place Kelli.
One we were going to get too but...
Thanks for the shots!

Sharon that's a pretty pink!
Send me a leaf shot and I may know someone who can ID it.

Kelli the night heat is the only reason we have an AC unit.
Well that and as a dehumidifier.
We sleep upstairs in the old attic and it can get a bit close.
Especially since we lost the west side tree.
I'm a cold sleeper... a meat locker would work well w/ me.
Downstairs we hardly use it at all.

It's still 81 (Heat Index 83) Humidity: 60% here at 9:30.
Only supposed to drop to 68 by morning.

We have basically a chimney for a house.
Plus it's 10" of solid brick.
The cooler air from the side yard (big garden) to the east enters the new Sewing room.
Then runs thru Kitchen, Hall and LR and up the stairs on the west side.
Upstairs we run fans in our east side window, over the bed and out the west window.
Tonight we're pushing the air in thru the back a bit.
During the day it flows thru on it's own ...

Here's Kat hunting Lizards

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6703285

Here you go Mau!
Tomorrow they go to their 'Big Plant' Pots.
I did have 1 'Illustris' make it back.
It's 3/4" tall right now...LOL! Thanks!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6703311

It's looking a bit more tropical in the Brickroom.
The banana in the middle is perennial.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2009
10:01 AM

Post #6704372

Rann - Love the videos! You live in such a beautiful country.
Ric Ill get a leaf pic today. We are meat locker sleepers too LOL! The big Kat hunting! I like those chairs. Did you them them red?

76.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 72 F
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 92. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent. Heat index readings 99 to 103.

The storms stayed just to the North and blew East last night. They are still hanging out GA. They are getting hammered.

Ric- I already had a pic of the leaves! This one has a light sweet scent. I have another brug, but it's not blooming yet.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2009
10:10 AM

Post #6704381

My Sharona Huffman is just northeast of Houston on Lake Houston

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 18, 2009
10:57 AM

Post #6704467

.4" rain yesterday in only a few minutes.
Tornadoes last night in southern MN.
One near Austin did lots of damage. 3 others reported, unk damage.
Strong storms predicted today also.
Sun is out.
Dew point 60
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6704651

Rucky - So you know where Bellaire is!
Bernie - I heard about the tornadoes in Nebraska, but not MN.

The "storm" has made it here. Rain and thunder - it's not severe anymore.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #6704669

Good morning!

The sun is out, but it's quite breezy ... I haven't been outside yet, but I'll bet you a large sum of money that it's a chilly breeze! lol Temp around 54F according to the weather service, my thermometer is still out.

Sharon - thanks! Glad you liked them :-) Your Brugs are so pretty!

Kelli - I enjoyed the video ... again it reminded me of Spain :-) Neat photos from the Paramount Ranch ... I watched Dr. Quinn, but can't say I remember the buildings.

Ric - it's starting to look like a jungle out there! lol Kat is cute :-)

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6704975

Sharon I'll check w/ some friends on the Brug.
Light fragrance, does it go thru color changes or stay one color?
The chairs were a curb find.
We snatched 4 of them and originally they were black.
Glad the mega storm missed you.
We took off once from Miami and just missed one.
The plane hit a down draft and I thought we were goners for a brief time.
NOT FUN!

Bernie glad you are OK!
I was going to DMail you when I heard about the Storm.
Good Luck on today's weather!

The Brickroom is getting there.
Usually we are no where near this far along in mid June.

Off to work on the yard.
Mid 80's and Humid is the forecast.
Low mid 90's for tomorrow...

This little Lady popped in yesterday.
I went in for the long lens and probably shouldn't have bothered.
At one point she landed on me! LOL!

Common Whitetail Dragonfly-Female- Libellula lydia

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6704987

Ric: the pups are looking good! The ones you sent me are doing good, too! We made a good trade! Does Kat ever actually catch any lizards? LOL
Sharon: It certainly didn't cost me that much to stock up on freezer foods again! Buying for one person, you know. I would have had a stroke if it had cost me over $500.00 to stock up!!
CG: tornadoes are bad no matter where they wreak their havoc! Hope there weren't any deaths up there in MN.

Kelli: I enjoyed the video. The background music sounds like the music "they" play on the courthouse square in Mountain view, AR on a Saturday night.

Today Sunny (that's an understatement!)
High 97F
Precip 0%
Wind: SW 11 mph
Max. Humidity: 57% (Aw, they've got to be kidding--must be at least 75%!)
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 5:54 AM CT
Avg. High: 88F
Record High: 97F (1990)
Tonight Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 74F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSW 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 73%
Sunset: 8:24 PM CT
Avg. Low: 66F
Record Low: 56F (1995)

Ric, here are the pups you sent me. The leaves which you said had been damaged by the hail have fallen off but new ones are growing.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6705007

nice shot of that dragonfly, Ric! I saw a pretty one yesterday when I was mowing but I was too busy to run inside for my camera. Speaking of mowing, I got the lawn mowed! Hooray! Except for a couple of spots where I couldn't get the riding mower. tonight I will get those places with the push mower (gasoline-powered).

Here's one of those spots I didn't get mowed. The hydrangea makes it difficult to get up next to the house between the plant and the patio.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6705014

and these are hydrangeas which I have in a pot. I'm taking them to my daughter's house next week when I go up there for a few days. These are pink, as you can tell, and the one planted in the ground is blue(as you could also tell--LOL)

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6705016

They are looking good Mau!
The heat there is really good for them.

Kat we haven't seen w/ a lizard but Emitt catches them all the time.
Plus there are a lot of them w/o tails running around from near misses.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6705028

LOL good thing their tails will grow back!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6705838

Well a pop-up shower is hitting us.
A big rain band about the size of the State of Ohio is moving thru.
So much for slight chance, mostly sunny.
No real volume so we're just working in the rain.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6705920

Before I read anything, I need to post this.

http://videos.komando.com/2009/06/18/african-thunderstorm/

My brother sent it to me. The song is wonderful but it's the beginning that wows you!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6705976

Oh! I hope no one was hurt in the big storms!

Mau, your plants are looking good there.

Ric, cute kities you have. Mine don't catch anything except zzzzzzzz!

62.6 F with 71 for the high. And it's trying to rain again. I kind of like this. Go out and work a little, watch the rain, go out again...it's nice.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: 2.0 mph Variable
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3800 ft
Scattered Clouds 5500 ft
Scattered Clouds 8500 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I don't know these kids but they were sure having fun with the flag.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6706041

Ric Those are the buds for the blooms I posted. They start yellow and turn that pale salmony pink color. I appreciate you doing that. I havent had any luck getting them idd. Great dragonfly pic!
Mau Yeah, I had a mini heart attack when I heard that mans total. Made cringe. Your hydrangeas are looking good (as are the pups)!
Ric Thats a pretty big rain band!
Celia Cool video!

Today
Partly cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms likely early in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe early in the morning. Highs in the mid 90s inland...around 90 coast. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the southwest in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Heat index readings 99 to 103.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 18, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6706196

Only one person hurt.
They weren't close to us. About 85 miles east of here. We were watching them develop here before they headed out.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6706249

Celia WOW! Thanks!

Rain has run thru we're off to the yard!
(I made Alton Brown's Serious Choclate Ice Cream while we were waiting... lol!)

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6706267

Celia - GREAT video - thanks! That was really cool :-)

Ric - sounds really yummy!

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6706322

Oh and I was right, a very chilly breeze blowing. It's almost 6 pm and I just came inside to put on a SECOND fleece layer ;-) lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6706323

You're welcome, everyone. I wasn't sure, at 1st, how they were going to do the thunder.

We watched a show about ice cream on the History Channel last night. Then we HAD to get some! LOL Darrell had cherry something and I had Arcadia Avalanche. It had peanut butter and caramel swirls with cookie dough. Mmm...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6706967

56*F overcast
No darkeness and no wind nor rain.
Wow~there's been some wild weather down there; glad you're all ok.
Spirit Houses built over the gravesites at the Eklutna Village cemetary. They are not part of the Russian Orthodox beliefs, but remain a part of the Native Alaskan belief.

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6707320

First good sunny day all week - had to pull telephone wire out in the heat, could have been worse could have been electrical wire instead.

MS hang on to the SAR and just send the Party!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6707371

I saw your other pic, Kiska and Googled Spirit houses but I couldn't find any good explanations. Where can I find some?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6707404

Celia - I googled spirit houses alaska. Took me straight to the link. Love all the blooms! I used to watch a show called "Death by Chocolate". It was a cooking show for chocolate anything. I would get a craving so bad I'd run to the store. I finally quit watching it because I gained 5 pounds in a month!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 5:39 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6707436

Weird...I get Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union, Spirit of Orhtodoxy Choir, Spirit Mt Art gallery...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6707510

Celia, have you seen that goofy commercial on search engine overload? Sounds like what happened to you.

I'm glad the peeps found some entertainment value in the video.

Getting more seasonal.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 18, 2009
87 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.75 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 86 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 10 out of 16

more pictures from yesterday

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6707516

foothill penstemon

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6707522

I don't know what this is but there were a lot of them.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6707532

These are just regular ol' perennial sweet peas like some of you might have in your yards, but I was surprised to see them surviving in the wild.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6707543

black sage - Notice the yellow spots in the background. Those are leaves turning yellow before they fall off. It is a property called drought deciduous. The plants lose some leaves in the summer in order to conserve water.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6707550

The red is poison oak doing the drought deciduous thing.

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6707588

here you go!

http://www.travelalaska.com/Regions/CommunityDetail.aspx?LocationID=194

and this

http://knol.google.com/k/fran-gangloff/eklutna/35d4f9dma4dbf/35#

these aren't the same site I found while at work. hmmmm

This is similar

http://www.myalaskan.com/alaska-towns/eklutna.html

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 6:30 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6707985

These are all great but I was hoping for a site about the spirit (or 'Spitit' as the old mediums used to say) houses themselves.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6708347

Kelli if you were here I'd say that's a Sunchoke wearing the yellow petals.

Celia the rituals and burial practices of many Native American Peoples are very private and very personal in nature.
Not a lot is out there on many Pacific Coast groups.
Search Dena'ina Athabaskans or Tanaina Athabaskans who are the group buried at Eklutna Village cemetary.

Well after the rain we did get a bit done.
The doors (gates) to the potting area are back up.
We raised the doors to the Flamingo Garden (patio area) for privacy and so Wu can get under them...lol!
Started straightening the fence there back up...wind damage. Pruned the rose hard back.
And rearranged the lights.
Added Chocolate chips to the Ice Cream...it's YUMMY!

77 Dewpoint: 72 Wind: S 3 MPH Humidity: 85% at 9 PM... YUCK!
Looking at 94 tomorrow...

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6708364

Just back from market. Very lively today. One party had strawberries. 180 qts. It took them all of 20 minutes to sell out.
Party from near the tornado last night said they got 4" of rain. Their next door neighbor lost his entire corn crop to hail. It was a foot deep when it finished!
25,000 homes & businesses out of power in Austin, MN. That was the hardest hit area. Lots of buildings damaged.
82.4 yet tonight. Humidity is near 100%.
No wind.
Partly cloudy.
No storms, we hope. They seem to pop up in a hurry!
Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6708623

Storms last night north of the Missouri River. Major damage in a small town called Norborne. Supposedly straight line winds but the damage is pretty bad.

Nothing around me, just high heat, humidity, and today we also had a brisk wind. Last night I went and saw the Royals play and they just plain sucked. Very disapointing game. But had fun watching this crazy guy trying to get everyone to do the wave. If I had had my camera I would have gotten a pic of him. He was crazy!! LOL. Way more entertaining than the game. No home runs during the game either. Not a good game at all.

Have more pics of my garden and will get them taken and downloaded when I get time.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6708725

A foot of hail is amazing (and dreadful).

Pepper, did Greinke pitch? He's become part of our "folklore" here at this house. Since Geinke almost rhymes with cranky, whenever I get tired and cranky, I say that I am getting Greinke. Weird, I know. Most of our "folklore" is.

I think this looks like another country. Which one I don't know, just not this one.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6708772

Yeah, he did. They finally replaced him with a relief then they relieved the relief.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6708783

Oh, boy. Pitching meltdown. I know the feeling.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2009
9:52 AM

Post #6709520

Celia - I hope you found the info you were looking for!
Bernie - A foot of hail - that's terrible. I feel so badly for those who were affected.

73.9 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 67 F
Wind: 3.2 mph from the SW
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 95. North winds 5 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

Heat index readings 101 to 105.

Ric - Here you can see the yellow and salmony pink

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
10:19 AM

Post #6709547

Good morning!

Sunny this morning, not quite a breeze as yesterday but quite cool ... again about 54F ... I really woldn't say no to a few days in the 60's ! lol

Kiska - beautiful photo and interesting to learn about the spirit houses ...

Sharon - thanks for the links! Very interesting ... I just love learning something new :-)

Kelli - great photos ... that last photo is Spain or Portugal ;-) lol

Bernie - a shame about the storms ... there seems to be no shortage of them over there this year.

My older daughter Selma has come to the conclusion (not with my help!) that the US is not a good place to live ... She said to me the other day, "Poor you, that you had to live over there" I asked her why on earth she thought so ... "Because there are so many crazy people there ... if you walk down the street somebody could shoot you. They have so many guns. And all these bad storms too. And lots of bugs!" lol I told her that there were a lot of nice people living there ... I know some of them :-) But where there are so many people you inevitably have more of the crazies as well, there are crazy people here too, just not as many. Ofcourse if you'd judge the American nation from what you see in movies and TV shows ... you could come to the conclusion that at least half of the population is certifiable ... ;-) lol

Well, last night the weather was just perfect so I went outside just after 1 am and shot a short video out in the garden. A black bird (black thrush) was singing it's little heart out. My garden isn't very spacious so it doesn't offer very wide views... camcorders generally don't have wide angle lenses ... I'll shoot another one soon outside the neighborhood with some wider views ;-) http://www.dropshots.com/ranny#date/2009-06-19/01:17:00

Rann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6709649

Nice video, Rann.

Farmers here have their crops insured, but mostly covers their costs, not the profit. There is still time to plant soybeans in those fields to get some income from it. Yield will be smaller than normal.

Tell your daughter this is a big country & storms only hit a very small area at any one time.
The biggest tornado here was only one mile & less wide. Pretty small when the whole state of Minnesota is 400 miles long.

We have another full day. First we are going to finish the porch. We ran short of time & energy on Wed. Shouldn't take us long.
Then it's back home to pick veggies for market tomorrow.
Yesterday was very good. Sold out fast. We could have had more things along.

Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6709686

Thanks Bernie :-) A foot of hail is hard to believe.

She's the type that doesn't like uncertainty so even the slightest chance of a tornado would be a cause of worry for her ... she likes the security here ... nothing really to worry about (well except the economy) ... and yet she worries ;-) lol I'm hoping one day we can afford to take the girls to Florida to show them where I spent my teenage years ... I'm sure she'll change her mind then if we manage to get there someday. She's not very keen on going now ... there are alligators in Florida you see ;-) And too many bugs to mention. lol

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6710289

...heat indices approaching 100 today...

a humid airmass will remain across the region today. temperatures
are forecast to rise into the lower 90s. the combination of heat
and humidity will cause the heat index to rise into the mid to
upper 90s for several hours this afternoon.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6710672

Rann, I agree with you about watching the TV. If our only source of info was "The Box" then we would all think that Iceland was constantly covered in ice, Hawaii is all active lava floes and surfers, CA is going to fall into the ocean, NY is made up of gangs and police only, Russia is covered in those cool onion shaped buildings, and penguins and polar bears live together in harmony and drink Coke. Oh, and most of us ARE certifiable!!! LOL

A foot of hail!!! I can't even imagine!

67.8 F with 81 for the high and NO RAIN!!! At least, not today.
Partly Cloudy (hardly any)
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 16.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Wildflowers.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6710696

The whole thing.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6711090

ROFLOL, Celia, at your description of our countrymen!!!! Nice wildflowers--and gaillardia, too. by the way you had mentioned a gaillardia called "lemons & something" It's "Oranges and Lemons". I have one. Also, I couldn't open the video to the song. :o(( Got to the webpage--just couldn't open the video.
Rann: please don't let Selma watch anything on American TV--she will really not ever want to visit us!
Wow, CG! A foot of hail is amazing!! Thank goodness for crop insurance!
Kiska: interesting custom about the spirit houses.
Ric: Uh, I thought you moved back to Ohio because it is cooler up there than in Florida? Must have been in another century--LOL
Rann: Your small garden is certainly packed "chock full" with flowers! It's lovely. Poor Selma--so many things to worry about. We do have alligators in Arkansas, too, but only in the southern part of the state where there are a few swampy areas. My late DH, Buddy, was talking with a friend from Canada last summer and telling him about going swimming in one of the local creeks when he was a boy. He told the friend that they had to be careful of the alligators, though! The friend mentioned that to me recently. I asked him: "Did you really believe that about the alligators?" When I started laughing, the friend realized that Buddy had been teasing him. LOL
Kelli: more nice flower pics but you can keep the poison oak out there, thank you very much! LOL

T oday: Abundant sunshine. High around 95F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 74F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Sunshine and clouds mixed. Hot. Heat index near 105F. High 98F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow night: Partly cloudy. Low 74F. Winds light and variable.
Sunday: Plenty of sun. Highs in the upper 90s and lows in the mid 70s.

Looks like no relief in sight anytime soon from these hot, hot temps!

Here is a pic of some yarrow which was given to me by Kathy Ann,a DGer who lives aobut 40 miles from me. A good percentage of the plants in my flower beds have come from Kathy Ann. She's such a sweetie!
I started with just a couple "sprigs" of the yarrow and just look how it has spread. It is off-white when it first starts blooming but then it turns a rosy red .

edited to add: I spent about an hour and a half weeding this bed early this morning. It looks better now--no weeds! :o))

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6711330

90 (Heat Index 98) shade.

But some VERY dangerous conditions are building up.

From Norman, OK

ahead of the disturbance...a very warm...moist...and unstable air
mass will be situated across the mississippi/ohio valleys and
central appalachians. as daytime heating further destabilizes the
atmosphere...numerous strong to severe thunderstorms will form
within the axis of instability. conditions will be favorable for a
few supercells with large hail and even a few tornadoes. however
...the greater threat is for these storms to organize into
long-lived...bow-shaped complexes...with widespread wind
damage...some significant...expected late this afternoon and
overnight. the highest threat for more concentrated and intense
severe weather will stretch from southeastern iowa/northeastern
missouri eastward into southwestern pennsylvania/western west
virginia.

the areas most likely to experience this activity include

southeastern iowa
northern and central illinois
northern and central indiana
northeastern missouri
much of ohio
extreme southwestern pennsylvania
western west virginia

So be on the watch!

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6711369

85 , HOT and MUGGY! I am so glad I mowed last night when it was 80 , hot and muggy!

Sharon, I believe I'll keep the cage LOL! Callie is beautiful in the window. Please don't say chocolate! All I have are chocolate chips in the house! An extra 5 # is why I don't buy the Dove candy anymore.

Kelli, laughing over your Mocking bird and agree with everyone else about the starlings. Plus, the starlings like to drop the baby bird doo in the birdbaths when they are ''dooing'' in the nest. I love to hear our mockingbirds sing and think I'd take squawky over the starlings. Our mocks have beautiful songs, I don't recognize hardly any of the birds in them. ROTFL over your wimpy mocks. That is sad tho. I shouldn't laugh. Love the Paramount ranch pictures! Nice flowers!

Ric, we're looking for the perfect ice cream recipe and I love Alton. I'll have to copy it for DH. I love the deck shot! The brickwork and grate make me think outdoor kitchen. The blue stools are really cool! You know, I think you and Robyn work in your sleep! Boy, I don't think I'd ever get on a plane again. Scarey!! The dragonfly is neat! I love being able to see things up close with a camera.

Pepper, I'm so glad you and I didn't have the straight line winds earlier this week. They talked about them today and I put all my ornaments and chairs in the garages till this stormy weather is OVER! We are so humid I'm sweating in the air conditioning and I have a small fan turned on me. Sheesh!

Celia, it's a lot of hard work to bring your personality to a place, but with what I know now, I'd love to start from scratch! Yep, that was a needy backyard! I love the wall!! ROTFL! Any food show makes me want, and most of the time the food featured isn't even sold in Iowa. You are exactly right about how we would view the world thru TV.

Mau, the grass grows unless it quits raining :o) My glasses are scratched too. I think it's the antiglare we had added. I'm not having it again. Perfect coneflowers! Gorgeous hydrangeas! I love the rosy yarrow. It really puts on a show!

Kiska, neat cloudburst at the soccer game! Either you're up high or those are little gamers, LOL! The spirit houses are so neat!

Marylyn, I hope you've been to the Dr. by now. You have what I had for 3 weeks before I went to the Dr.! I don't like to take antibiotics either, but I got over that idea fast! These days you don't take chances.

Dyson, washing windows is my rain dance. I guess washing the screens too brought these severe T-Storms. Not a good ''bonus.'' It's good to have you back!

Rann, the festivities sound like they were a success! Sadly, Selma is right about some places in the states. Tell her Iowa is fairly safe even if we are buggy :o) She makes me smile tho. She's can be so serious. I think we all have our worries as adults. I wouldn't get close to a gator, but others do and don't get eaten :o) I wouldn't ride in a safari car either unless I was in a cage!

Howdy Do Rucky! Welcome! I hate to have crumbly grass. I feel I'm killing it by walking on it.

Seeds, I officially hung up my long sleeved soft shirt today. I was using it last week. Beautiful grape color on the clematis!

Bernie, glad you had no tornadoes and got a little rain. I've never heard of a foot of hail. What a shame about his corn. That hits you hard. I'll bet people are hungrier than ever for home grown food. I know how good the strawberries taste!

Kelli, this is the rose someone told my Mom, was a 7 sisters. It has more than 7 blooms on a stalk, so I think it's a rambler, but I don't know for sure.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6711386

Ric, that is exactly what went over a couple of counties north of us this morn, and have a chance of developing over my area this afternoon.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6711403

We just felt an earthquake a few minutes ago ... around 4.2, origin in the same area as the quakes in May ... close to the Blue Lagoon ... I'm guessing some tourists got shook up again ;-) lol

Marsue - LOL ... well, there's a slim chance of that since most of the TV programs on TV here are American ;-) lol The girls don't watch much of it yet though, but they do get to watch American Idol, So you think you can dance and America's got talent ... plenty of weirdos in the auditions there ;-) LOL And ofcourse they've seen plenty of movies ... she thinks american high schools are really "weird" ... especially the graduation outfits! lol (We recently watched High School Musical 3) And yes ... my garden is pretty packed! lol

Ric - that's pretty scary stuff.

Sally - I've told her that I lived in Florida for 6 years without ever running into a gator on the street ... she still wants to play it safe and stay away ;-) lol Oh and the beaches are dangerous too because there could be sharks ... not that I ever saw one. You're right she does worry too much.

A weather update ... it's been pretty breezy all day ... very chilly. I'll take it rather than 90F+ and tornado threats anyday though ;-)

Stay safe!

Rann

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6711432

Rann, laughing! I don't care to wade in the ocean because of the sharks too! Maybe I should get a thicker skin and move to your town! I'm glad your quakes don't cause any damage.

By the time I caught up with everyone, the temp went up to 89 . I just ran out and got the mail and it seems less humid. I'll go out and play later.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6711468

I'd rather have a little storm than the ground shaking under me!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6711494

Here's the porch all done.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6711502

The porch on the other end of the deck we did 2 years ago.
This is from the other porch to the new one.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6711509

This is the view off the deck. Their veggie garden is at the bottom.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6711569

Well, Bernie, I guess it all comes down to what your used too ;-) "There's no place like home" to quote a famous movie. I can tell you that I and the girls were all sitting in the living room ... there was absolutely no reaction from them ... I waited a while and then asked them: "Did you feel the earthquake". "Yeah", they answered without looking up from the TV. lol

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6711917

Mau, Oranges and Lemons, that was the one. I'm not sure what I have. It just showed up on it's own last year and only had one bloom. This year, it's expanding its horizons.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6711964

Good afternoon! I did go to the doctor, Sally. Thanks for asking! They gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin. I'm already feeling a bit better, although going on a short errand run with the girls wiped me out WAY more than it should have. Of course, it doesn't help that it is 100 out there.

Our grass is brown and crunchy, too, rucky. There is only a little strip of grass out front, and I don't water it. I save the water for the flower beds. The backyard has more grass (mixed with a ton of weeds.) It really needs mown back there. I was going to do it this week while Charles was out of town, but I really haven't felt up to it. I hate to have him come back to that mess, though. Maybe I'll at least get it started tomorrow morning. He'll be home tomorrow night - yayy!

Your porch looks wonderful, Bernie!! And I love the view. ^_^ A foot of hail is just mind boggling...

Rann, Selma wouldn't like Houston any more than Florida, I guess. There are plenty of alligators on the south sides of the city, and although we don't get as many hurricanes as Florida, we do get a few.

Yikes, Ric!!! You guys be very careful! And try to talk some of that rain into turning around and visiting us.

I'm going to go rest on the couch for a bit and watch the bunnies run around the house trailing pieces of yarn, with kitties chasing after them. It's very entertaining! LOL The kitties are going to need a LONG nap pretty soon; they're getting a lot of exercise!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CDT (36 min ago)
Temperature 95 F 35 C Our thermometer says 100, and I believe it! They must have more clouds at the airport or something.
Dew Point 70 F 21 C
Humidity 44%
Pressure 29.88 in 1011.8 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH
G 23 14 kts
G 20
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 102 F 39 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
Remarks Lightning detector not working. (We won't be needing it for a while anyway!)
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009

Post #6712126

Kelli - when I was a teenager I was allowed to go to downtown Reykjavk with my friends until around midnight and it was considered safe. No way I'd let the girls anywhere near there until they're 20! lol Compared to most other countries it's still pretty safe I guess, but there has been an increase in violence. Mostly just drunk people getting into fights, but there is the occational stabbing although that's very rare. Still I wouldn't feel safe there alone at night. During the day it's completely safe. The girls can play outside here in the neighborhood until 10 pm in the summers ... that's more freedom than most kids have in other countries I'd think. Great photos :-) I like both creeks, but the one with water is nicer ;-) lol

Marylyn - I'd be wiped out too!

There was another tremor around 8:30 pm, about 4.1. We just felt a slight rumbling that time.

Rann

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 10:17 PM
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6712830

Rann, I'm not used to earthquakes. I think a lot of us here in the states have had experiences where tornadoes and hurricanes and bad weather and wind and freezes have wiped out everything to ground level. The thought of earthquakes is scary to me because I live in an area that may have a tremor reported every three years or so, and never in my area. I think of earthquakes as deep crevices, broken freeway bridges, etc.

The rain stopped today, temps in the high 70's. Supposed to rain like H-the dickens all night tonight and tomorrow. I swear my tomato plants grew six inches since I tied them all up on Tuesday night. We have had super growing weather and next week temps are supposed to be in the mid eighties all week. We will go from wet and cool to wet and hot. Yippee! Lots of weeds to pull.

Daylily - one of Curt Hanson's beauties "Performance Anxiety". This is one of the select plants that can be referred to as 'lusty'. LOL

Thumbnail by se_eds

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6713026

Hot, humid and very windy today. At least at work it was. Made my head and neck hurt some from holding it up against the brutal wind. Got a few showers today too in the early afternoon.

My first daylily of the season. I just bought it last year but the tag wore off so I have no idea on name.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6713462

BP you have mail.

Sharon both TropicMan and Marcy seem to think it's Brugmansia 'Frosty Pink'.
Don sent Marcy one and I have it now. I agree.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2902/
I'll know more tomorrow.

Bernie that looks great!

The weather outside is for the lizards.
11:30 PM and it's 81 (Heat Index 85) Wind: S 8 MPH Humidity: 74%
This is the FL weather I left.

Nothing yet on the storms, at least here.
Indianapolis is going to get hit by some severe stuff in about an hour or less.
It's banding up for a huge hit somewhere.
We were just put under a Tornado Watch til 3 AM as I've been typing.
A small band of storms is hitting Marcy way to the north of us and we may get some rains in a bit.
But those first storms are popping up and disappearing all over the place.
This much heat this late is not a good sign but we are in the far south and east end of the warning.
My guess Central Ohio is going to get the brunt IF anything happens.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 20, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #6713880

a little past midnight~light out; 52*F, very pleasant.
Had a wonderful visit today w/DG'ers from the lower 48. They are here on vacation and Palmer was on their list of places to see.
Bloomswithaview and her daughter, Crystalspin, were a joy to meet and spend time with. Crystalspin's DH was a pleasure to meet, as well. Love this site and all it offers.
Such bad weather down there; take care, all.
rann-earthquakes waking up some volcanos?

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6714014

Kiska, nice to see Blooms and her DD! Her garden is awesome! Your "saucer" is amazing, great shot!
Bernie, great job! I also love the view!
Sally, your roses are gorgeous!
Sharon, I have some Pink datura seeds and I'll try again with them, maybe I'll have more luck this time. They never popped out. The flower is gorgeous!
Kelli, that yellow flower looks like a small sunflower ! I can recognize some of those buildings, so cool for you to be there!
Celia, that could be a Black Eyed Susan Coneflower.
Ric, how many cats do you have? I can see one white and one black, both so cute!
Mau, are you using yarrow for making tea? Beautiful flower bed!
Rann, loved the video with your garden, it's so beautiful! Another earthquake? Have you had any until last year?
Marylyn, get well soon! Good you went to the doctor's! I'm also feeling a bit like having a bug or something, but I think it's because of the ice-cream and maybe from some sunburn I have from staying too long in the sun...grrrr!
Finally my lawn is cleaned of unwanted grass...for now! Both me and DH are aching , but we are happy for finishing the job. Yesterday I also mowed the lawn. Will post some pics later.
Now I have a few with my blooms.
My favorite pansy.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
10:56 AM

Post #6714016

Petunias blooming like crazy...I planted a few more, but I don't know what color they are. They just popped up in one of my window boxes!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
10:57 AM

Post #6714021

I found out this is a "Peace" rose.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #6714025

Gaillardia , aster on both sides and mums on the left. I just divided the aster bush and it hasn't recovered yet.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6714031

Oxalis.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6714032

Daylily.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #6714040

My veggie garden with tomatos, spaghetti squash which are getting over the garden, a cucumber in the back and a sweet pepper in front. I still have to plant the broccolli and hot peppers, but I guess I have to find another place!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6714150

Good morning!

Adina your garden and plants look great :-) So pretty :-) And thanks for your nice comment on my garden ... it's a mess ... I haven't had the time or energy to keep up this year but it is really packed! lol

Kiska - great photo of you, Blooms and her daughter - how fun to be able to meet in person :-) Everytime there is activity in the area where the quakes have been this year on the Reykjanes peninsula we think, " sure hope nothing's waking up!" ... There has not been a volcanic eruption in this area for ages and I hope all the extinct volcanos stay that way! Keep in mind we're living in the middle of a lavafield from one of those extinct craters. It's probably just growing pains along the fault.

Seeds - we wouldn't be calm if the earthquakes were big ... they're all small like a sleeping giant clearing it's throat ;-) In my lifetime I've only felt about 5 or maybe 6 earthquakes ... 3 this year and one last year ... there have been more but somehow I've always missed them. It's not like living in California where the ground shakes on a regular basis, well there are hundreds of tremors each week but they're just too small to be noticed. The people who live in the area of last year's quakes are still getting over the trauma ... and there are a lot of damaged houses there... That is a beautiful Daylily.

Ric - hope the FL heat goes home and no bad storms develop!

Pepper - another beautiful daylily :-)

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6714419

Well the storm rolled thru here just about when I thought it would.
At 3 AM (temp still 79) the winds kicked up and we got a lot of lightning and thunder.
Very little rain though.
Temps dropped about 15 degrees and cooled the house off quickly.
Now we're looking at temps near 90 but a bit lower humidity and a touch of wind.
Still some way higher than normal night time highs.
By tomorrow the winds are supposed to switch around and come from the north.
That will drop the temps AND humidity.

Adina we have 4 cats at present.
Love that Oxalis esoecially!
Beautiful yard shots!

Kiska how cool that you got to meet 'Blooms'.
Great shot of you guys.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6714528

Rann, thanks! It'll be years before my garden gets like yours!
We also have earthquakes everyday in Vrancea - a shaky zone in Romania- but they are also so small no one notices them. We had a few big ones, like the one we had last month of 6.2. The biggest I have been experienced was in 1977, on March 4th at 9:22 p.m. which had 7.2, lasted 47 minutes and was disastrous! Many have died and lots of tall buildings and houses have collapsed in Bucharest and the town Zimnicea was all erased . I was only 15 and I still haven't gotten over that trauma! I was living at the 8th floor of a block in Bucharest...same I have been living before I moved into the new house. It was such a strong balance the chandelier was hitting the ceiling and broke into pieces. I hid under the table, with the hands over my head and stood there while all arround me was shaking, breaking and making a big noise. We had all the jam pots from the shelves in the closet broken...imagine the mess! When the shaking and noise stopped I got out of there and I saw the TV was face down , broken too , about a feet from me. I ran out in my PJs, just took the boots and the coat...it was March 4th, still cold outside, but on that night was almost warm or just appeared to me from being so frightened. It took months before I stopped looking at the chandelier to see if it moves! When I ran outside that night I stepped on a broken piece of glass from the chandelier and cut my foot, but I didn't feel a thing until outside when I felt something wet in my boot which was blood. We're still waiting for a big one ...hopefully it won't come anymore...they said it's good we have more little ones to release the energy.
I hope nothing bad cooks in there for you too!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 20, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6714536

Ric, sorry we cross posted! That lily is so beautiful! What colors are the other 2 kitties?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6714554

I just got out of the shower last night when the weather alarm went off. In about 20 minutes straight line winds were to be coming our way. We warned a few people outside, on our way down to Dad's, but we could have stayed here. It blew, but not that bad. We had a small limb down and mostly small dead branches. The house is wallpapered in leaves, but even that wasn't bad. We cleaned most of it up last night and the rest this morn.

Now it's 80 sunny and muggy. We got 9/10'' rain. It's pretty wet.

Bernie, I don't know when you sleep either! I love your porch! Is it a 3 season? My neighbor has one that's heated a bit in the winter and I covet! Your's makes nice shade for the windows underneath too. Oh, I do covet! I love the open center! What a wonderful garden and view! You have a beautiful place!

Rann, there IS no place like home! LOL over the girls :o)

Celia, beautiful Rudbeckia, but not lemon and oranges. They are a prettier version of the Blanket Flowers.

Marylyn, I'm so glad you went. That's what I was on and I did feel better the first day. Yeah, don't over do it, and drink orange juice. It tastes pretty good. DON"T mow! You aren't ready!

Seeds, I watch too many history programs on earthquakes and volcanos. I think like you do :o) I think my garden is going to shoot up too. I did get in and weed the green beans and peppers before the storm last night. It's daylily season. You have a very pretty one!

Pepper, my first daylily bloomed today. A red one. Your's is pretty too!

Ric, thanks for the recipe! I can almost taste it. I remembered my Mom used to cook the eggs, but I don't seem to have her recipe. That's back to the hand crank days :o)

Kiska, what a wonderful treat! I haven't been on any threads with Blooms for a long time, but she's always interesting. Rann doesn't need volcanos too, does she!

Adina, love the flowers! My DD is under the weather too. Has been since last Sunday. She threw up most of last Saturday. It seems like a mild flu. Take care and get some rest.

Rann, the last history show I watched talked about the sleeping volcanoes in Iceland. I was glad to know someone from there!

Ric, another pretty daylily. They and the oriental lily's are my favorite summer flowers.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6714569

Oh Adina, what a frightful experience for a youngster!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6714655

Hot and humid and cloudy.

Here's one of my asiatic lilies. Got it last year at Wal*Mart. I'm gonna be planting a whole row of them behind these when it quits raining long enough that we can get the tiller out and till.

Thumbnail by pepper23

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6714713

I just realized that I forgot to post the weather lol

It's cloudy, breezy and about 56F, could get some rain today.

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6714814

Adina - that is a scary experience. I think the strongest earthquakes here have been just over 6 (the big one last year was around 6.3) ... I don't think there's ever been one over 7. At least not in my lifetime.

Sally - you're right - that's the last thing we need right now! lol

Ric and Pepper - beautiful lilies!

Here's a brief update ... a settlement has been reached in the ICESAVE mess ... it's not favorable for Iceland ... but probably the best we could do in an impossible situation. We really were cornered up against a wall. At least we're off the terrorist list. No one's happy about it though, it seems to us the cost is too high. All we can do is hope it won't crush us. We'll see in about 7-10 years ...

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6715217

Wow! I was only away for a moment! You all got pretty chatty. LOL

Not Rudbeckia or Echinacea. It's Gaillardia for sure. It has the same stucture as the others. It just doesn't have a name, except 'Pretty'.

'Sally Holmes' rose.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6715297

Pepper, my first asiatic was yellow too and it just opened today. I love your idea for a whole row!

Rann, a settlement is good just because it's a turning point. Improvements, if they are to be made, can come later.

Celia, I misread, thinking you were asking if Oranges and Lemons. It's pretty. I love the center and lipstick stains on the collar :o)

It's 82 and not bad out. I'll go out and walk the flower beds in a while. Kind of nice to be forced into a day off, LOL!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6715607

Rann What I would give for your temps! LOL at Selma Run! I think every country has a stigma attached to it. Unfortunately the actions of a few reflect on all. Keep the videos coming!
Bernie The porch looks great!
Rann- My MIL thinks alligators or snakes walk/slither the streets of Florida.
Celia- Pretty wildflowers!
Mau The yarrow is so pretty!
Sally Your roses are gorgeous!
Marylyn So glad you are starting to feel better!
Rann- Im so glad there isnt any damage with the earthquakes (except trauma to the tourists!).
Se_eds Beautiful daylily! Like you I think of earthquakes as deep crevices swallowing highways, vehicles, houses and people.
Ric- Thanks for the ID! It is Frosty Pink!
Kiska Its wonderful you got to spend some time with blooms and her daughter. I miss Blooms posting here.
Adina Thanks! I love when Frosty Pink blooms. It has a beautiful light scent in the mornings and evenings. Pretty blooms and I love the peace rose! Your veggie garden is looking good!
Ric You can keep the FL heat LOL!
Adina How scary! I know you are glad you havent been through that again.
Pepper Another of my moms favorite lilies is the Asiatic. I didnt know the name until I saw your picture.
Rann I hope ICESAVE works. At least it opens the door for more change.
Celia- Sally Holmes is pretty too!

93.4 F
Overcast
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 65 F
Wind: 4.3 mphfrom the SW
Pressure: 29.89 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 96 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Overcast 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Heat advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT Sunday...

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy. High 97 coast. West winds around 5 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon. Heat index readings 106 to 110.

I was supposed to go on the First Annual Amelia Island Beach Walk this morning, but I was saved by remembering I had to take Callie to the vet. The walk was set up by one of my bosses. I'll post a link when I can find one. It's began at 8am. It's a 15 mile walk from Ft. Clinch to Amelia Island Plantation. They are still walking... in this heat I would pass out. Hugh, my boss, started this on FaceBook. I don't know if everyone will be able to open if you aren't on FB, but here is the link.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=112496638331

This is a blog link I found.
http://ameliaislandnet.blogspot.com/2009/06/first-annual-amelia-island-beach-walk.html

Do you remember when we first moved in, a Carolina Wren pair started building a nest at our front door? Well, mama CW has 3 babies. Here is a picture. I had to stand on a chair to get the picture.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2009 3:54 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6715620

Here is one of the parents feeding the babies.

Also, it's so hot it's hazy. I'm staying in today and tomorrow. We're supposed to hit the century mark tomorrow, which will be a record if we do.

The good news is temps are supposed to get back to normal on Monday. I'm thinking the upper 80's will be a treat after this heat wave.

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6715790

I need to clarify a couple things. The house with the porch belongs to a friend. The garden below the porch is being tended by one of his employees. They own an orchard & an apple stand. They have a bakery there, too. His son is starting a hard cider business. It's basically an apple wine, looks & tastes like champagne.

On meeting other Dave's members. It has to rate right at the top. After meeting everyone at the KY RU last fall, we went on to visit with Misty Meadows & then Badseed. Both were wonderful. Also stayed with Equilibrium in Chicago area on the way to KY.
Only regret, we drove right through Cincinnati without looking up Ric!

Market was great today. Lots of customers & eager to buy our goods. Nearly sold out of everything.

Local town has yearly celebration going on this weekend. I may go to the parade this evening.

Bernie
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6716192

Adina, I had an earthquake "adventure" something like yours. This was the 6.7 Northridge Earthquake in 1994. The power was knocked out and it was in the middle of the night. There was a flashlight in a drawer in the kitchen so I felt my way over there and stepped in a mess caused by a broken jar of syrup. After I got the flashlight, I went to the phone to call my mom so she could tell me what happened. Later I saw a little blood spot on the carpet from where I had cut my foot on the broken glass from the jar. However, I didn't see anything traumatic. I was living on the ground floor and probably was 15 miles or more from the epicenter.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on June 20, 2009
69 F
Overcast
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 58 F
Wind: 5 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2000 ft
Overcast 2500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

It was very foggy and dewy in the mountains. It was so dewy that the ground was muddy.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6716199

cliff aster - This is one of those plants that I usually ignore. The picture is more interesting than the plant is in real life.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6716206

California thistle - I told DH that I like thistles. He said that I am probably the only one.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6716210

golden stars

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6716354

Here is the link to Hugh's interview with our local newspaper.

http://www.searchamelia.com/2009/06/17/1st-annual-amelia-island-beach-walk/

Wow Kelli - the pics are great. The golden stars look like starfish.

Pink Flame Jacobina is popping!

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6716381

Wow, you folks sure do make it hard to catch up but i'll try though not necessarily in the same order as the posts above! LOL
Rann: I'm planning on sending you via dmail 2 or 3 links for Selma to look at, if you think she would enjoy seeing some photos of American children at play--namely my grandkids. Maybe it will change her mind about the U.S. being a bad place to live. Sure hope so! She'll see that we enjoy doing the same things with family that Icelanders do.
CG: it's a nice porch no matter who owns it--LOL! How could you pass up meeting Ric!
Marylyn: hope you are feeling better and I hope you didn't mow the lawn--way too hot especially if one has a sinus infection and you know that some antibiotics can make you more sensitive to the sun.
Sharon: aren't Carolina Wrens just the sweetest little birds. I haven't seen any where I live now but they used to come to my feeder at my previous home.
Kelli: you had a scary earthquake experience, too! Love the pics of the wildflowers. I like the thistle bloom, too.
Adina: Lovely flower pics but scary story about the earthquake!! Arkansas sits on a major faultline in the eastern part of the state--the New Madrid Fault. However, we haven't had a major earthquake here since the early 1800's although the experts say we are due for a really big one. If that happens, the experts say that the city of Memphis, TN will be majorly affected as well as all areas in eastern Arkansas.
Ric and Pepper and se_eds: love your yellow daylilies. so pretty! I have one yellow one, too, but I have no idea what its name is.
Kiska: it's always great to meet fellow DGers in person! Sounds like you had a nice visit with them!
BP: glad the storm wasn't too bad.
Ric: glad you didn't have any damage, either. I wish the wind would change directions here and send us some cooler weather--and some rain. Just a few weeks ago I was whining about too much rain and now I am whining about not enough rain! That's human nature for you! LOL

I had my grandson overnight and he brought along a friend. They beat the heat last evening by playing in the sprinkler in the back yard. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6716398

Sharon: we cross-posted. I'll check out that link a little later. Right now I have to go to the grocery store. My grandson and his friend ate me out of house and home--LOL--and they are just nine years old! I hate to think of how much they will be eating when they are teens!

Thumbnail by marsue

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6716803

Hello folks, sorry i haven't been on awhile & it took me awhile today to catch up!! HAHA. As you've been reading from Marilyn_TX Texas has been getting a LOT of hot weather. Well on June 10 my area, in fact my town, had a tornado & 70 mile/hr winds. We didn't get any damage but there were lots fo limbs & fences down in the area that actually was hit with the tornado.
My garden won Yard of the Month in May & I have been busy since keeping it weeded & now watered! Our temps are due to go to the 100's by next weekend. In 1980 the record was set for 60+ days with temps over 100!! The 26th of June was the highest in 1980 at 113 & the same for the 27th!! That was all before the heat index!!!!!!

I don't like the heat so I try to stay indoors a lot!!! Early morning for gardening!! Will post a pic or two when I get them downloaded, I don't have a digital camera. :0)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6717577

Well it was a bit better today.
I think we hit 88 but w/ lower humidity and a nice breeze.
But once again it's near midnight and 81 (Heat Index 83) Dewpoint: 64 Wind: W 5 MPH
However w/ the Humidity @ 56% that's almost 20% lower than last night.
After tonight we'll still see the upper 80's, which is 5 degrees hotter than average,
but the night temps will be in the mid 60's.

Kelli we love thistles too!
We're raising a blue one and collect the natives for dried flower arrangements.
I may just have to give that Bloomeria crocea a try. It should do well in our Rock Garden.

Mau I remeber beating the heat that way a few times.
We were pretty lucky.
My parents got a pool membership for a song and we usually hung out there.

Cindy THAT's some Heat!
NO THANKS!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6718175

Mau Yes- CWs are very sweet! Cute pics of your GSs! I hope you didnt spend $500 on groceries LOL!
Cindy Congrats on yard of the Month! Its good to hear from you. Im so glad you didnt have any damage from the tornado. Weve been extremely hot here too. I havent felt heat like yours since we lived in the Middle East YIKES!

80.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 72 F
Wind: 3.2 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in(Rising)
Heat Index: 85 F
Visibility: 4.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Heat advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Mostly sunny. High 100. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 107 to 111.

3 words...I'm staying in. Well, except for watering the lawn this morning.

Luna Hib is blooming!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6718564

Good morning!

It's cloudy, slight rain drizzles occationally, breezy and 48F if you believe that ... at 12 noon (is that pm ?) I don't think the temp has reached 60F at all so far this June, it's hardly got up to 55F either. Which confirms my prediction that a warm May brings a cold June ... happened the last time we had a "heatwave" in May as well. The forecast for next week is more of the same ... highs in the low 50's. It's like May and June got switched ... lol Not much chance of seeing the sunset tonight. Sunrise this morning was at 2:55 am, sunset will be at 12:03 am. Less than 3 hours between sunset and sunrise.

Sharon - the Luna hibiscus is stunning!

Mau - thank you :-) I'll show her the photos tonight ... Looks like the boys were having a great time :-) The girls would LOVE to be able to do that more often ... it's hardly ever warm enough and if it is, they still have to have the water temp around 100F ;-) lol They tried that one day in May when it was in the 60's ... had a great time but didn't last very long. lol

Kelli - loved the photos from the hike :-) That is a stunning photo of the cliff aster!

Midnight sunset two years ago.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6718620

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6718661

Clear & Sunny w/ a nice breeze.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6718708

Mau try Achillea 'Pretty Belinda' for your Yarrow.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78449/

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6719566

It rained and now it's hot and humid. It will rain again later.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6720937

82 (Heat Index 84) at 9:30 PM.
ENOUGH of this late August stuff already!

Quiet here today!
We putzed around for a few hours this morning then headed for Dayton.
Stopped in to see Dad and drop off his gift.
We got there just as my Little Sis, BIL and Kids did so we all had a good visit.
Dad even knew we were his kids! Not our names but... lol!
He's doing well for 90 years young.

Then did a pickup of some of the tools and stuff we left during the remodel.
Slid home about 5 and just vegged in front of the tube.
I went next door to check the veggies and set w/ the neighbors for a bit.
So my Father's Day was to just chill! lol

Sharon here's why I didn't have much trouble doing an ID on the Brug.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6720951

Mau here's our Yarrow.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6720999

We did have a little excitement,
A baby seal washed up on the beach...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6721031

LOL Ric!!

Hot and very humid. No breeze tonight that we can tell. Planted the last of a bunch of plants to go in the ground and stayed inside in the air conditioning. Normally that don't come on til around the 4th of July but it has been too hot not to have it on.

Whiskers decided to destroy one of my catmints one day. Every time I got my hand near him he attacked. He was not leaving the mint and he wasn't allowing me near it either!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 22, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6721176

What fun to live in the north! It is 9:47 PM & still not entirely dark.
Another round of storms tonight. Almost in the same area as Wed. storms. Reports of 4" & more of rain. Reports of tornado, but not official yet or no damage reports.

I went to a neighbors to get some straw today. The guy likes to talk, so ended up taking 2 hours. Should have been an hour, tops. Oh well, it's Sunday!
When I got home I worked on a flower bed. Weeded the whole thing & got the boundries back where they belong. Lawn sure likes to creep in.
Then I planted a couple Hostas & some plants from the Round Up. Also threw in some annuals to fill in large open areas.
I mulched the whole thing with cypress mulch. I love the stuff! I did some other beds 2 years ago & they are still not bad for weeds. It should be renewed every summer. I will be doing that from now on. Lots easier than pulling weeds.
I'll get a picture tomorrow.
Bernie
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6721356

Good evening! I did not mow the lawn Saturday morning. I decided Sally was right, and I wasn't ready. Thanks, Sally! :-) Charles got home just fine last night. Yayyy! He was exhausted, understandably enough. He was up for about 32 straight hours - and it was all Saturday! LOL He woke up at 6:30 Saturday morning there (which was 4:30 pm on Friday here) and went to bed at around midnight here. The girls and I got up and tiptoed out to church this morning so we wouldn't wake him up. Sleeping in was the best Father's Day present we could have given him. :-) Tomorrow morning we start vacation Bible school at church. That's always fun - and exhausting. :-)

The weather forecast hasn't changed a bit - highs in the upper 90s, lows in the mid 70s. Heat indexes of 100+. The humidity is starting to creep back up to normal, which makes the heat even more overbearing, but also gives me hope that maybe the weather pattern is starting to break up and we might get some rain again soon.

Charles took a lot of photos, including some at a national park that they visited. I'll post a few of them. There will probably be more later. I haven't seen the second half of them yet.

The national park was a kind of heritage park for buddhist temples from different times. They trucked a bunch of temples from various parts of South Korea there and restored them. Here is a tall one...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6721367

This one was pretty.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6721368

The details were amazing!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009

Post #6721375

To the side of the path leading to the temples was a pretty stream.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009

Post #6721376

Another view of the stream.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #6721379

This rock has a tree growing out of it!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6721384

Pretty tree shot...

In the cities, even the small-ish ones, the people are packed in SOOO tightly, that most people live in high rise apartments. It's a very mountainous country with not a lot of arable land, but they make the most of what they have. Tucked between buildings are lots of little gardens or rice patties. He had some photos of them... I'll try to find them tomorrow. Right now I need to get the bunnies to bed. They're still really excited about Daddy being home. :-) But we have to get up early tomorrow to get to church. Good night!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #6721794

Celia Cute bee pic!
Ric _ A nice way to spend the day chillin! That brug looks a tad familiar LOL! The yarrow is pretty and what a cute beached furry whale!
Pepper Stay away from the catmint!
Bernie Im looking forward to the day I can enjoy staying outside and getting something done.
Marylyn Im so glad Charles made it home. Jet lag is no fun. The pictures turned out great. Im looking forward to seeing more.

81.3 F {{{whimper}}}
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Wind: 4.8 mphfrom the SW
Pressure: 29.74 in(Steady)
Heat Index: 84 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 94. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

WX liars got it wrong. We are not back to normal, still in the 90's.

We had a "brown out" yesterday. The electricity went out at 3pm for almost 2 hours. It was 96*. The house got up to 85*. It finally came back on and I was able to start F-Day dinner. It was still 82* at 10pm in the house.

My new begonia that I haven't been able to plant because it's so dang hot...

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 22, 2009
10:52 AM

Post #6721880

High of 92 predicted today. But with a breeze. That will save us.
Humidity is supposed to be high.
We will work outside this morning, then inside the rest of the day.
My workers will be here early & go home at noon.

Off to trim tomatoes!
Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6722406

Good morning!

It's cloudy and breezy, had a rainshower earlier this morning. Rained las night as well. Current temperature is around 48-50F. Looks like more of the same for the rest of the week. Sunrise this morning was at 2:56 am, sunset at 12:04 am.

There was no break in the clouds around midnight last night so there was no sunset to photo ... hopefully someday soon the sun will come out ;-)

Marylyn - I know you were all happy to get your DH back home ... great photos from his trip! :-)

Sorry most of you are so hot ... I wouldn't want to switch places with you ...

Hope you all have a wonderful day and mangage to stay cool!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6722446

Yep Bernie there's no sense killing anyone.

When I worked fence as a 20's we had three weeks over 100.
And we worked mostly on Parking Lots for GM at that time.
We started work at 4 AM worked till Noon.
The Roofers started at Midnight.
We were still sinking into the asphalt ...

73 Dewpoint: 66 Wind: NE 3 MPH
Humidity: 79% at 9:45 AM.
Going for 86
but the night time temps are supposed to drop into the low/mid 60's ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Our new 12" planters.
A TGIF Sale item. Only $5.99.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6722667

Ric, sounds like you had a great father's Day. I love the new additions to the family! LOL And that cat...sorry...baby seal...looks familiar to ME!

Sharon, the begonia is very pretty. What's it's name?

Marylyn, I love those temples!!! So much history there. Thanks for sharing them.

Bernie, we have a neighbor who's a talker, too. Takes us a half an hour just to get out of our driveway sometimes. ^_^ I hope no one was hurt in your "tornado".

Pepper, Whiskers is defending his territory!

Rann, yes, you're lucky you don't get our hot temps. I don't know if I could handle as much daylight as you get.

55.4 F with 76 for the high. I think we might be done with the rain for awhile. Yippee!
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Beebalm.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 22, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6724600

Earthquakes today~ the distance is from Palmer.
The one, at 11:28, happened while I was grocery shopping. Canned food was dropping off shelves to the floor and was a bit unnerving.
Been quite a swarm of them:
Skwentna, AK 55 miles 4.0 11:56 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 52 miles 3.1 11:46 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 62 miles 2.8 11:40 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 54 miles 3.2 11:35 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 54 miles 5.4 11:28 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
A very nice 55* with storms moving across the mountaintops.
No darkess~but, a loss of a few seconds daylight now.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6724666

That does sound unnerving. Once in a while I think of things like that when I'm in the store. Glad you're o.k.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6724723

Rann: You said it was like your May and June had switched places. For us, it is like June and August have switched places. I hope that means that we'll have cooler temps in July and August--one can always hope!! Nice midnight sunset photo!
Ric: that's a pretty yarrow but I don't think it is the same as mine. Mine is not quite that pink. Kathy Ann knows the name of it--she is the DGer who gave it to me. I'll have to ask her what it is for sure. When I saw the words "a baby seal washed up on the beach", I thought: There are no beaches in Ohio!" LOLOL Nice bargain pots--I'm assuming they came with the plants in them?
Marylyn: Okay--I missed something--must have been while I was in Canada. Last I knew, Charles was in Maine working on the cabin and now you are sending us photos of Buddhist temples!? Where did he go? Love the pics, by the way. Your weather forecast sounds just like ours! :o((
Pepper: LOL! I guess that is why they call it "cat"mint! I have some Walker's Low Catmint but no outside cats around here--at least that I know of.
Bernie: sounds like you got a lot done yesterday. 92F is cooler? I thought that was HOT for MN. Our sunsets are later, too, but it is usually fairly dark by 9 p.m. here.
Celia: nice bee photo. Pretty bee balm, too. The bumblebees and other flying critters just love my beebalm blooms. There were at least half a dozen bees buzzing around them the other morning. Friday tries to catch them, silly pup! It will probably only take one sting on the nose or inside his mouth and that will be the last of his bee chasing efforts!
Sharon: love the Luna hib and the begonia How's the ajuga doing in the salt air?

Whew, it's HOT, HOT, HOT!! Currently 99F on my back porch (in the shade)--I have no idea what the heat index is but it feels like an oven out there! I had to water the flower beds this morning--they were beginning to suffer from the extremely hot temps and no rain in over a week. Actually, I didn't stand outside and hold the water hose--just moved the sprinkler around every so often. I managed to get some mowing done with the push mower while the shade was still in the backyard (before the sun got very high)--just did the areas I can't get to with the riding mower. Tomorrow night I need to mow again with the riding mower.

Here's a pic of my front yard's heart-shaped flower bed. Ric: see how big the Illustris EE's are now? They were mostly the size of the pups I sent you not too long ago.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6724741

Kiska: we crossed--that is unnerving, to say the least!

Here is a bee on the beebalm--Imagine that--LOL!!!

Thumbnail by marsue

petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2009

Post #6724833

Marsue that bee balm is certainly pretty.

Do you need to dig up those elephant ears or are they hardy where you live?

Greta
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6724847

Thanks, petra! The Illustris and the other EE (noid) made it through our winter this past season, but they had about 6 inches of mulch on top of them. Some folks say their EE's didn't make it. I do have a lime zinger which was in a pot and I brought it inside this past winter.

I thought it had died but here is what it looks like now.

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6724887

Rann I felt better just reading your temps!
Celia No tag on the begonia. I have to get it IDd.
Kiska Wow you guys got whammyed today. Glad you didnt get hurt. Your temps sound wonderful too!
Mau Im with you. I hope our temps chill, but I have a feeling the temps are going to get worse. I hate to tell you, but neither of the ajugas made it. It was worth a try though. Im going to get the lantana sent this weekend. I was going to mail last weekend, but figured it wouldnt make it in the heat wave. Pretty flowerbed!
Celia and Mau Love that beebalm!

86.0 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 61 F
Pressure: 29.71 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 86 F
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be strong through the evening. Low 74. East winds 5 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6725122

Yayyy!! It's raining! What a wonderful sound! ^_^

Marilyn, Charles did go to Maine, the first week of June. He was there for a week, came home for 4 days, and then took off again for a business trip in South Korea. Hopefully that was his last trip for a while! He had a great time while he was there, though. He took some training classes on a new device that the company he is working for is going to be carrying and servicing. When they weren't taking the classes, they were shuttled around the country to several different plants to see the products, and got to do quite a bit of sightseeing, too. And they ate some great food! He says that kim chi is pretty good - he doesn't like cabbage and isn't particularly fond of pickles, so he found it quite a surprise that he would like pickled (well, fermented) cabbage. LOL He tried quite a few other new things, and liked most of it. He didn't know what these fruits were... Does anyone here know? He said they taste a lot like melon, but with a different texture.

Awww... the rain stopped. I hope we get more! A week or so ago we had one of those survey companies call us on the phone. I don't mind doing most of them, so I let the guy ask his questions. The point of the call was obviously to gauge/raise public disfavor with the way the city government was handling flooding and drainage issues. The questions were VERY leading. One of the things he asked was "Why do you think Houston has so many flooding problems?" Well, let's see... Downtown Houston is only about 50 feet above sea level. (We're a little higher here on the northwest side.) It was built on a huge swamp that used to filter our 50+ inches of annual rainfall into the Gulf. Now that the swamps are covered with 600+ square miles of pavement, there is nowhere for the water to go. It doesn't matter what the political opinions of any of the current members of city government are - there' only so much they can do about all of that water!

In the end, I don't think my participation helped his numbers at all. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6725741

Sunshine and 83 degrees with a gentle breeze - Now you can't beat that! It was a little odd to have no rain today. Daylilies are starting t bloom all over the place. A lot have white speckles on them ( thrip damage) and I have not been able to spray in the past month because of rain.

Mornings here are breaking cool and calm - heavenly!! We are bothin good health and are richly blessed.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6725797

HOT and HUMID!! We hit 93 with a heat index of 110. We had a small breeze at work but it really wasn't enough to keep me cool on my last day outside.

Squirrel eating our cat food. They just love Meow Mix!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 23, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #6726205

Just in. Decided it was better to work outside after dark. A little cooler.
I am putting a wood floor over the dirt in the veggie washing room. I got enough done to use it tomorrow. Veggies are coming fast in this heat.
92 today, although one bank showed 98.
Cooling off fast, down to 80 right now. Humidity is high.
I took a couple hours off for supper & then watched "Bachelorette."
Son went & helped his sister & hubby lay blocks for their house addition. Another project for us, like we need more.
Bernie
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #6726514

we've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1006249/

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2009
10:47 AM

Post #6726573

72 and humid right now. I have to find a decent time to mow.

Yesterday was oppressive, but I was out most of the day puttering.

Sunday night, two tornados were spotted west and south of us in other counties. They didn't continue on, so we were lucky again. We got 2 1/10'' rain out of the storm, and the power was off a few hours. We had standing water all over town, but most was soaking in by mid morning. I live on the ''high'' end and only had ditch water.

I'll catch up when I can. DH just woke up and will want to read the newspaper on the computer.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6726754

Hello,

I still kick and alive well, it darn hotter for last now 3 days I stay home last 2 days to keep me cool... This is what I was living in California but not humid just very dry...

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MO/088.html#HEA
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6729439

New thread: www.davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1006249/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America