Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Foxglove: foxgloves

Communities > Forums > Article: Foxglove
bookmark
Forum: Article: FoxgloveReplies: 4, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pattiplant2
Akron, OH

June 15, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6690600

foxglove seeds are much smaller than dandruff so be careful. This year I have some pure white ones. Not sure how this happened as most in the past have been shades of pink/purple. They self seed and come up in early spring. I have loved them as they came from my Aunt Alice now 90.
Pattiplant2
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6690633

Nice to hear from you Pattiplant, and nice that you have the surprise of the whites.
Thanks for commenting on the article, maybe sometime you can share photos of your blooming foxglove.

Happy Gardening to you.
Bsued
Coe Hill
Canada

June 15, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6691069

Hi,Sharran and all of you foxglove lovers. I'm writing from Coe Hill, ON, Canada, which is in Zone 4. The article was of great interest to me as these are one of my fave flowers. Although I did know that they are medicinal plants I was not aware that I should be very careful in handling them. I appreciate the sound advice.
I live about 100 miles north of the Can./U.S. border and foxgloves bloom a bit later here. I have several new ones which I started from seed indoors in early April /08. The seeds were mixed with a little dry sand to aid in sowing thinly. My notes also mention a damping off problem but I ended up with 30 plants to share or enjoy myself. Believe me...I can hardly wait!!!
Here's a question...Would you consider foxgloves a biennial or a short-lived perennial? Suel

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 3:06 PM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6691370

Hi Sue,
Biennial or perennial, how about both? Actually, the mother plant is more of a biennial, but it reseeds itself, so continues to appear and bloom. Some of the cultivated varieties are specifically bred to be one or the other, but the wild ones are not, they just reseed themselves much like Monarda, and some others of the old fashioned wild flowers.

In other words, mine almost always appear next year, though sometimes not in their original spot. I have some Spiderwort that has been here for about 18 years, and it often travels out of its bed, but I can most often get it back to the right spot. Same with a lot of the others.

Your place sounds beautiful. I am looking forward to some photos from you during fall.
Thanks for writing,
Sharon
Bsued
Coe Hill
Canada

June 15, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6691442

Thanks, Sharran. Yes, in the past, mine have reseeded but I guess I get in a hurry to work up my beds, so the baby plants are up-rooted. I forgot to mention that I purchased a foxglove called "Pam's Choice". It is white with a deep burgundy throat and spectacular in the picture!I Have you seen it? will try to send pics but so far I have the equipment but not the know-how! Must get busy ...and do more planting. It has been a really cold,wet spring here so I had to postpone some planting, etc.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Foxglove Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick question KimmyCoCoPop 11 Jun 15, 2009 8:26 PM
valuable information, again LouC 19 Jun 20, 2009 9:37 AM
Digitalis? jadajoy 14 Jun 16, 2009 1:40 PM
Fabulous as always duchessdreams 5 Jun 12, 2009 6:06 PM
Informative Grandmaggie 1 Jun 12, 2009 5:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America