Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Terrarium Gardening: Fantastic Idea for Christmas:

Communities > Forums > Terrarium Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Terrarium GardeningReplies: 33, Views: 407
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6691835

I think these would make fantastic gifts for Christmas. Idea courtesy of GardenologyKC:

http://estore.websitepros.com/1438707/StoreFront.bok

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Click the image for an enlarged view.

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6691839

another view

Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 16, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6693457

SUPER precious!!! Great idea! Thank you for showing those pictures!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6694474

Sally-
isn't that a cool idea?...and there is plenty of time between now and Christmas to round up some clear ornaments and to let the plants get settled.

I definitely plan on making some!

Hobby Lobby had already set out their Christmas stuff...guess I need to go take a look!

~~my weekly hobby lobby visit, lol...
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 16, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6695777

If you could find a table top tree type stand or holder, you can hang them also. Not just at Christmas!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6695992

goog idea! On that note I might just hang some in my north window where I root my violets

Can't wait to go to hobby lobby this afternoon with tiny terrariums on the brain ;0)
-T
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 16, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6696056

Oh, AND I bet you could put them on a little round stand, like the marble eggs, etc! Then they can stand up if we use them out of the widow area for a while. Would be darling in a group. I am having a fairy garden weekend to plant near my "new" fairy house. Old stump, new door/windows.

My husband has to help with this easy job since I have to be careful in this HEAT! I get dizzy. We will buy plants and put them in when it cools off in the eve.

So, while we are out this Sat, we can to go Hobby Lobby again.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6696184

I can't quite picture what a marble egg stand is, but I'll bet it is cute.

I hardly ever need an excuse to visit hobby lobby, but even more reason, when you have an actual item in mind :0)
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 16, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6696974

You know the marble and other eggs people used to collect? They were so pretty. The stand doesn't have to be fancy, just a circle to fit a round object in so it doesn't roll. Think DONUT! UM... I'm hungry!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6697874

well, went to hobby lobby...

I went to the ornament aisle, and nothing...

I had looked it over twice, so I was leaving...while checking out with a 50% off garden item, I asked when they'd be putting more ornaments out, because I was looking for the clear ones...

Well, turns out she tells me the clear ones are NOT with Christmas stuff. They are with the CRAFT stuff.

So I got out of line, and went to crafts. Yep. There they were. They had two sizes. Regular and a sorta large, so got two boxes of the larger ones. They were 3.99 Actually they were both 3.99, so it was the same price no matter which size you wanted.

This will be fun!
:0)

Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 17, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6698009

Seems like the whole is so small. Wouldn't it be neat if it were bigger? Glad you found them, now I know where to look.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6698185

Yes!! The hole IS small!,...I guess it is a good thing I'm starting so early, lol...

At least now I can plant tiny things in there, that will fit through that hole, and they'll hopefully have enough time to GROW bigger :0)

I need to find some of those long thin medical tweezers on ebay or something, so I can even manage this... :0)
-T
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 18, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6707276

I have been looking online for wider tops on a glass terrarium. Nothin'. Would be so neat to have it screw on, wider.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6708030

I made one today, but failed to take a picture. Now it is at my friends, but I just squeezed some of that decorative sheet moss in there and dropped an air plant in.

It looked great, and took two seconds to put together!

I also bought some polka dot plant, and tomorrow I'm gonna try some with actual soil

I have one more air plant left(leftover from an arrangement), so I'll try to repeat the one I gave to my friend so I can post it..
-T
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 19, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6708753

I bet it was nice. I bet a little epescia and spagnum would work too. I just want a big hole to work with. ha.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6710247

you mean like this one? :0)

http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=585&f=2447&q=globe&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 10:54 AM
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6710881

Ok, did a tillandsia one for you :0)

It better like it in there, because there is NO way I'm ever getting it back out, lol
-T

Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 19, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6711746

Your tillandsia planting is adorable! Ha, no, you are not getting it out! That is what makes it interesting though. Great job. I will be going to H. Lobby tomorrow. Fred took the day off and we did errands and I have a migraine. Tomorrow will be a fun day. I am sitting here with a bird on my head, ha. Gonna nap soon and hopefully my head will be better.

LOVE that candle holder in the link. I bookmarked it.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6712087

I thought you might like that glass one, since it has the larger holes :0)

I just love shopping at thrift stores. You never know what you'll find. I went to one today on the way home from some errands, and found all this for under $5

I think these stands will work great for growing and then displaying the terrarium globes.

My mom has a little booth at a mini-mall, and I figured she could set these out on the counter, and sell them around Christmas

I think I will have fun making these. I got some terrarium plants, and crushed charcoal the other day, and I'm ready to plant.
-T

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6712095

The silver one is good for hanging the larger ones, but I especially like the brown one, and it holds a full dozen

Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 19, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6712506

Yes, those stands will work just great for you I bet!
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 21, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6719956

ok--found you now--thanks taylor for directing me here
i like the idea but wonder if a seed would work--not sure what kind of seed but seems easier than trying to get a plant in there
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6719981

hm...trying to think of a plant that can be grown from seed, but still remain tiny...
hm...you've got me thinking

planolinda
Plano, TX

June 21, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6719991

grass seed might be cute--but i guess it would get too long--
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6720520

ok, decided to play a little...

I just made two more. The supplies were easy. The jiffy-mix and sheet moss were from Home Depot, and the charcoal bits and tiny decorative rocks were from Wal-mart.

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6720528

Here is the first one...

It is episcia pink smoke, with a little mini ivy, and moss fern.

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6720533

then the second one I did I used a little mini fern

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6720582

this one shows the layers...

two tablespoons of gravel, two of the charcoal, and several of the jiffy-mix.

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6720605

Oopsie!!

well, when experimenting, you should share the bad with the good...apparently the soil in the fern one(I did use more of everything in this one because it had lots of roots to cover), was too heavy for the wire piece to hold...

It crashed to the ground. Cleaning it up was dangerous. Tiny chards of super-thin glass...

Guess this is an adult gift and not some project for sunday school kids!! Be careful when making these!

I don't want anyone to cut their finger. This gone wrong could easily cause someone to need stitches.

I guess the tillandsia and moss was the best idea so far, because it was both easy, and cheap, and also because it is so lightweight...
-T

Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 22, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6721068

Uh oh! For kids, I wonder if there are plastic ones available?

This company sells lots of tiny terrariums with seeds. Good for kids.

http://www.dunecraft.com/products/microterrariums.htm
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 22, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6721074

The newest ones are so cute!!! If they are heavy, you can get a glass candle holder to hold it up. There are so many. Small and round, diff. colors. I bought darling ones. You can tie raffia, ribbon or something on top, leave a hole for a heavy one.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6722033

Good point about setting it on something if it were heavy, but I was really hoping people could hang it on their Christmas tree, or hang it somewhere.

If I limit myself on weight, it should be ok. I guess i really should just skip the rocks and charcoal. They are the heaviest part. I was just trying to do it the "right" way.

My husband suggested hot gluing the tops on, but then you could never water it...then he said drill or poke a hole through the top, but I don't know...

In the end only a fellow gardener would appreciate the quality of the plants. Most "other" people wouldn't care if you put a prized plant or just a tillandsia, so maybe I'll just stick with the tillandsias for general gifts, and keep a few "special" ones set back for people who would really appreciate the contents more
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 22, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6722830

I think for a gift, a tillandsia would be just fine and a sure thing for the tree. Maybe a "mushroom" cardinal in there or on top. Simplicity is just fine and the uniqueness and thought you put into it will be wonderful.
RainGazer
Southeast, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6722855

Back around Christmas, Walmart had Cokes in small round plastic bottles. They were just slightly bigger than the glass balls you're using, I think, and had a plastic Santa label shrinkwrapped around them. They were expensive, $1 each for maybe 12 oz of Coke, but I bought 4 for this exact purpose. If I can find them (After the Coke was drank out of them, I put them up til I was ready to plant something in them and now don't know where I put them! LOL), I'll take a picture. They'd be great to use because they're plastic, have a larger hole, and the plastic screw-on lid could be drilled to attach a heavy wire that would hold any weight. Surely something similar would be available year-round, and hopefully at a cheaper price!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Terrarium Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to start? LittleHippyGirl 3 Apr 9, 2007 7:08 AM
Terrarium Links begoniacrazii 42 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 PM
My new terrarium Plantcrazii 13 May 7, 2007 1:55 PM
Here is my terrarium Plantcrazii 37 May 6, 2007 6:00 PM
My new dart frogs/vivarium! clarkranch 14 Oct 31, 2007 8:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America