Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the year: bay laurel invasive?

Communities > Forums > Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the yearReplies: 5, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sue_in_Corsica
Ajaccio, Corsica
France
(Zone 10b)

June 15, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6691934

My husband wants me to take out the bay laurel that I have planted here in Corsica, zone 10b, because he says it is invasive in this climate. I have seen bay laurel tree-height (15 to 20 feet) but I don't mind that -- I can prune it. He says that new plants will also soon show up near the original plant (because of its suckers, presumably) and that we will never be able to get rid of it. Have you ever read anything along those lines?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6692236

No, I haven't heard of that. The most detailed cultivation instruction I read was at the American herb society site - referenced in the article. About halfway through, the guy who does the gardening for a big nursery or something (which has lots of bays outside, as I recall) describes cutting off the suckers and pruning. It's a PDF file but it's easy to read; I highly recommend it for your husband's concerns. Apparently bays are difficult to germinate from seed - you are lucky! I think you'll be able to manage it nicely. Thanks for your comment!
Sue_in_Corsica
Ajaccio, Corsica
France
(Zone 10b)

June 22, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6723537

Actually I read the Herb Society of America information right after reading your article and that is when I became nervous about the bay laurel, and its suckers. I may take it out and move it in the fall. Thank you for mentioning the society in your reply and also in your article, as I had never run across it.

My bay laurel was given to me by a friend who made a cutting, it didn't come from seed! They grow very easily here in Corsica.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6724067

They can also be grown in containers; have you considered that as a way to be sure of "containing" yours? In my climate, a smallish container is usually adequate but I would imagine that you might need something larger. But here where it snows and freezes, we will often sink a pot into the ground to grow something small and invasive, like mint, without appearing restrictive, or even sink a fence or wall underground in the case of something severely invasive and large, like bamboo. Then again, I have read of how wonderful it is to stand in a grove of Bay trees.

It's been so cold and rainy here for so long that I'm so jealous I can't think straight! After your last comment I looked up how much it would cost to take a short vacation on Corsica so my kids could practice their French (too much).

Thanks again for your kind and eye-opening comment!
Sue_in_Corsica
Ajaccio, Corsica
France
(Zone 10b)

September 21, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7088378

I don't look back often -- clearly not often enough. I hadn't noticed your further comments. I am trying to get everything into the ground here, and so I don't really want to commit myself to growing bay in a container. And in any event, the plant, which I planted in the ground in the spring of 2008, has dried up and died. I pulled it up yesterday, and it didn't seem to have made new roots in the last 15 months. This is odd, as we had an unusually wet winter. No suckers, and I don't think they appear in the first few years as some of the people I know who have the plant don't have suckers yet. I have never heard of a grove of bay. But the flowers are attractive.

And if you ever decide to come here for a vacation, let me know!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #7088464

Oh, I'm sorry about your bay... Yeah, no roots in 15 months doesn't sound good.

We very well may come to Corsica in late summer/early fall 2010. Decided it's finally time (after 10 years of marriage) for a real honeymoon!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bay Laurel - the 2009 herb of the year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bay leaves in soup Kathleen 6 May 12, 2009 8:37 PM
Oh My, Where do I Start? beebonnet 5 Jun 16, 2009 1:03 PM
Bay in a pot huckleberry6 1 May 19, 2009 11:37 AM
Bay Laurel dillansnana 1 May 19, 2009 11:47 AM
bay Laurel barbjo 1 Jul 4, 2009 1:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America