Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Hummingbird Pollinators: thank you!

Communities > Forums > Article: Hummingbird Pollinators
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hummingbird PollinatorsReplies: 14, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
8:57 AM

Post #6694230

you did a great job... I enjoyed reading this!!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #6694442

Wow, you're an early bird! Good morning :) and Thank YOU for sharing your wonderful hummingbird photos with us. I have yet to get a decent hummingbird photograph -- your shots are great.

Our hummers have been nesting, so we haven't had much recent activity. Every now and then I spot a little guy visiting a feeder. I just cleaned and refilled those yesterday.

Happy Hummingbird Watching,
Diana

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6694457

up early due to puppy waking up (watching Michele's baby)...I am a very light sleeper... thank you and you enjoy as well
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 16, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6694462

Wonderful article Diana!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6695201

Wonderful article! Thanks.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6696317

Thanks all for your feedback ^_^

Pelletory, we are practically neighbors! Do you have plantings for hummers? We should compare notes. Maybe we can trade favorites we don't have.

Dahlianut, I love your name. I'm a dahlia nut too. My cousin got me hooked.

Happy Hummingbird Watching,
Diana
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6696325

Wind please come and post pics of your dahlias on the Dahlia Forum when yours bloom. We DG Dahliaholics luv pics ^_^

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6696382

OK, I will, thanks for the invite! Dave's Gardens has so many forums that interest me. I bet they would really love Bob's blooms. I'll try and get some photos of his garden too. He has over 100 kinds planted this year. Dahlias must not produce much nectar -- I've never seen a hummer or many butterflies visit them.

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6696619

No not hummer magnets but the bees like to sleep in them when the nights start getting cool.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6697183

Most of you are probably too far north for this, but since last fall I've had hummingbirds glued to my porterweed. I don't have any feeders up, but I have a lot of butterfly-friendly plants. Nearly every morning when I walk out the front door I scare the hummingbird away from the porterweed (he comes back when I "disappear" into the car). I know I have at least two because I saw them once at the same time. Also, this past weekend I saw a hummingbird at the USF Botanical Gardens and it was eating passion flower which surprised me.

Here's a pic of my hummingbird. I had to sit in the passenger side of my car and stake him out for about twenty minutes to get this picture. Suckers are fast!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 16, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6697668

One time I watched in amazement as a hummingbird flew past the bee balm which we had planted on purpose to the hosta. What do you do when birds don't read the books on how to attract them!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

June 17, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6698430

I have that happen too irisMA!!! Maybe cuz the hosta flowers are more tubular?

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6698590

Great photo Melanie -- it looks like your patience was rewarded! I bet your visit to the Botanical Gardens was nice ^_^

Iris, it sounds like your garden is a success in attracting hummingbirds. Having many selections is a great way to keep them around. I'm always on the look out for new plants to add.

I'll have to look up Porterweed and see if we can grow it in zone 6b.

Be well,
Diana

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6698775

Agastache is a winner in my book

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6700061

I checked DG Plant Files about the Porterweed. Porterweed grows in zones 9a to 11 http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2392/ so we would have to treat it as an annual, which is still a consideration. I usually grow Pineapple sage, Salvia 'Coral Nymph' and a few other annuals in our hummer garden too. I don't think I've ever noticed Porterweed for sale around here, but I've never looked for it before.

Agastache is one of my favorites (hummers too, of course!). For some reason ours is not reseeding like a weed, like it usually does. I'm thinking the goldfinches and all the birds are eating every single seed lol. Luckily I had shared some with our gardening neighbor a few years ago and she was nice enough to dig up several pots full that I hope to get in the ground later today :)

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hummingbird Pollinators Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingflies Potagere 4 Jun 17, 2009 1:38 PM
Another Hummer article wind 0 Jun 17, 2009 2:31 AM
Ruby throated hummer near Ceresco, Ne Ricinne 1 Jun 22, 2009 6:15 PM
Hummingbird Hawkmoth K2ne643D76s 1 Jul 21, 2009 7:43 PM
Phygelius Margie721 1 Sep 1, 2009 12:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America