Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Spring is Here, Don't Touch That Spade!!!: Gravel Garden!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring is Here, Don't Touch That Spade!!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring is Here, Don't Touch That Spade!!!Replies: 1, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

June 16, 2009
9:45 AM

Post #6694274

I have a small Gravel garden in London, England, and I adopt a similar policy, as plants from a garden center are very expensive.
A lot of the perennials seed in drifts along the gravel borders, so I thin them out if they get to much, apart from foxgloves as they grow everywhere, so I have to be quite ruthless with them.
The annuals are much the same, you can also see drifts of seedlings growing in the gravel depending on which way the wind was blowing!
I thin them out (easy in gravel) and put them in gaps; but as there are always so many, I do my wife's Hanging baskets with them and two large planters, as my wife like summer colour, until her beloved Acer's start in the Autumn.
Great article and especially for the environmentalists amongst us, no use of Gas guzzling cars to get to the garden center, heated greenhouses etc.
I enclose a picture of some Cosmos that has seeded itself amongst a herbaceous border.
Regards from a wet England

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 16, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #6694294

Beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to show me. I love my Cosmos, they'll appear in the most unexpected places and their lacy foliage always fits in well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring is Here, Don't Touch That Spade!!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The Return of the Annuals? MistyPetals 54 Jun 17, 2009 8:10 PM
My kind of gal LouC 8 Mar 28, 2011 5:45 AM
Experimenting with no spading margieseyfer 2 Jun 15, 2009 6:50 PM
What a noval (old fashioned) idea! gretagreenthumb 1 Jun 11, 2009 12:40 PM
Don't touch that spade! Oops! Too Late? caffrey 0 Apr 23, 2009 7:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America