-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6696279

I have a pond, 6 ft round. I used a milk crate, put the pump in it, and covered it with a blue furnace filter pad thingie. It works great. Keeps the pond clean. rinses out nicely.
Now for the problem. It seems after a couple months in the water, whatever is holding the 'fibers' together (glue?) is not working, and the little blue 'strands' are coming apart.
So wondering if anyone has suggestions for a covering to wrap the box in, that will be fish safe, and not come apart?
Not to mention, cheap lol. I don't want to go broke doing this. Someone mentioned barley pads? But I couldn't find those locally.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6696858

I've heard many people suggest quilt batting. You may still need to replace it periodically, but it shouldn't fall apart and make a mess in your pond.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6697282

hmmm I shall look into that. Should be easy to find, and cheap. I think it would be great for the biological part too
zorba
Lake George, MN
(Zone 3a)

June 16, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6697508

Try wrapping the whole crate in plastic screening (available at home improvement and hardware stores). This not only helps with filtering but would also keep your "little strands" in place. I buy the cheapest bulk filter (comes on a roll) at Ace Hardware. They will cut it to size for you. Never had it come apart. Been using the same pieces for years. Just back wash with garden hose at end of season and store for the winter.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6698893

plastic screening? You mean like window screen?
zorba
Lake George, MN
(Zone 3a)

June 17, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6700417

Yes, FrillyLily -the plastic window screen. . It is very pliable and readily molds to the shape of your milk crate (which is exactly what I use for my pumps). I place more than one pump in some crates, for feeding spitters for example. I can go an entire season (short here on the frozen tundra) without having to dig around trying to clear intake valves on the pumps. Anything that speeds up maintenance. I like to spend my time working on new things rather than maintenance on existing things. Happy water gardening!.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6700665

ok I'll look into that. thanks!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6732365

I dont know how big your pump is, but I found milk crate shaped cubes at the dollar store (in black) but theyre only maybe 10x10 inches? I put my smaller pump inside my smaller crate, and then put it inside a normal milk crate, and filled the space between the 2 crates with those body scrubber thingys you get for free in every gift basket. Theyre plastic, so don't fall apart, sift out large debri that gets into your pump, and can be hosed off easily. Walmart has them for a dollar if you can't collect enough for free.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6732376

hmmmm there's an idea to play with .
thanks for the tip!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6732833

I use this foam used for making baby crib bumpers. I add it to the intake filter basket to pick up fine particles. Can be split in half as it is pretty thick and rinsed and reused several times before disposing. It is amazing what it collect! Yuck!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3406&PRODID=xprd636341

This message was edited Jun 24, 2009 11:45 AM
zorba
Lake George, MN
(Zone 3a)

June 24, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6732902

FrillyLily - No matter what you use as filter material, make sure it is not so thick as to restrict the intake. That would over-burden the pump (shorter life) and also lessen your output. Run your pump with and without the proposed filter, the results will guide you.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 361 Jun 7, 2014 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America