Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Do chickens honk?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 28, Views: 165
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elleisn
Denver, CO

June 16, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6697775

My girls, who are almost 3 months old, and have just started to go from peeping, to clucking, still more peeping, but have decided when they want something, like me, they honk. They sound like an adult goose. They can't even sound like an adult chicken yet, but they do this loud honking goose sound.

And of course I come running. Sorry Haystack, I'm not in charge yet. I am getting smarter though, I have learned never to tell them no. He he. Well they think it's funny. But I'm trying to out think them. Wish me luck. Whenever I tell them not to do something, they just become obsessed with doing it. So I have tried reverse psychology. Whenever they go after my tomato, or my pepper, or my sweet potatoes, I just walk towards them, and they follow me in front of me. Once I get them over to my bind weed, I start telling them they can't have that. It's MY bind weed. Well it's worked for about 2 days.
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

June 17, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6698440

I must say I have heard some strange noises from chickens but I don't think I have ever heard one honk. Are they watching too much TV, nature channel maybe, lol
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6698446

smedgekles Ha Ha Ha Ha~ have they been watching to much tv ~Ha Ha Ha Ha
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 17, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6698699

Sorry Elle: Chickens Honking!!! Has the cheese just slide of your cracker? Maybe the reverse psychology is effecting more than just the chickens. You are a hoot. Haystack
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 17, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6699324

When they were young my Jersey Giants made a sort of honking sound. As adults the just have a normal chicken vocabulary.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6700520

Goldie my Roo honks. Scares the crap out of me if I don't' see him come up too me, he likes to sit near my foot & make this loud honking sound. I stood there laughing at him & telling him he wasn't a goose so be quiet... hasn't worked yet.. he just gets louder & startles me more frequently now.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6700623

Oh i have a Roo you know the sound they make when they see something flying kind of a squeaky noise.
Well this roo makes the awfullest sound he sounds like a old creaking door makes the hair stand up on my neck LOL
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 17, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6700627

Years back we had a brewery in Olympia, Wa. It's slogan was " It's the water" due to the many small rivers and creeks in Wa. State.

With all these honking chickens!!! My question is WHAT'S IN YOUR WATER??? LOL Haystack
Elleisn
Denver, CO

June 18, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6703626

See I'm not the only one with honking chickens. Now I feel more or less normal. The girls are so funny. After they start honking in the morning I let them out of their cage. They follow me over to my computer, sit on my lap, and try to refile my papers. I suppose I could call my bill collectors, and tell them my chickens lost my bill. That might work, I'll have to try that next week.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 18, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6703711

Chicken help - the very best kind! I don't actually know how you can get anything done.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6703858

I've heard honk-like sounds from my chickens. I remember thinking "no, I'm sure we don't have any geese".

Actually, when the chickens, guineas, and the rooster all get going at the same time, it sounds like something that would make a great car alarm. They all have their own rhythm and it all blends together in a really unique and annoying way. :)
grownut
Clarkson, KY

June 18, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6704548

Sounds like an odd version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...our fine full feathered friends...
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6704717

Exactly!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

June 18, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #6704751

lol!! The vision that came to me with your description!!
Elleisn
Denver, CO

June 18, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6705490

Because we have foxes living on our block, and my husband is so worried about the girls, he makes me lock them up when I leave the house. When I walked down the street yesterday, I heard them honking all the way down the block. They have been able to handle us, the birds, the cat, and now they are working on the dog, but they won't be able to handle the foxes. My son and my husband have promised me they would finish their outside house Saturday. Well we'll see. I'm just grateful for Walgreens, who have all these buy one get one free sales on baby wipes and Kleenex. I'm really ready to get off "poopy duty".
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 18, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6706128

Hey Elle! I have a lady that lives just up the street from me, and I always thought she was a real Fox also. So you see, we all have our dilemma'. LoL. And you said your girls are funny!!! Hmmmmmmm I'm thinking Elle. P.S Your my quirky little North Star also.LOL Have a great day. Haystack
Elleisn
Denver, CO

June 18, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6707134

By the way does anyone know how to get peanut butter off a chicken. I was having a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and one of my chickens flew up on my lap and grabbed the sandwich out of my hand. Well she got the peanut butter all over her, and I tried to clean her off with baby wipes. I'm still not outsmarting them, but I am trying to keep them clean.
Elleisn
Denver, CO

June 18, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6707220

I rescued my sandwich, but was so mad , I was almost ready to give her a bath. Have I mentioned how much I want their outside house to be finished?
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6707295

Oh I am laughing so hard right now... Not at you Elleisn, at this thread... Although I have never heard a chicken honk, I bet it is a hoot to watch...

You know Haystack, she does live in CO, which brews the best beer around out of the natural water there, maybe it is the good water they drink??
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 19, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6708239

But Mis Jester! Tell me who would want to rescuse a peanut butter sandwich once the chicken has it. Yikes, what ever is in that water, I don't want it. And if it makes clucking hens sound like honking geese. I don't know Ms Jester. Elle is so cute but I really do think she is a brick shy of a full load. LOL Just kidding ELLE!!! Haystack
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6708517

Whats going on here now!!! First honking chickens now peanut butter on chickens ha ha ha ha ha ha {:~D
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6708782

:) ever seen a chicken play in the sprinkler? Mine did today... so it must be the water.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6708955

My Goodness Honking Chickens playing in sprinklers while eating Peanut Butter sandwiches we got to get that on Video and put it on YouTube. ha ha ha ha ha ;o)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6710518

And drinking Colorado water... You know Haystack, when I am roping I tend to drink a lot of the Colorado water and well sometimes it makes me alot stranger than I am already. Been known to rope a cowboy instead of a steer... Just sayin, I think it is in the water...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 19, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6710710

Miss Jester!! I've always been a fan of your, but thats a real stretch blaming the water, that is unless that cowboy was growing horns. Have a great day my quirky little friends.LOL Haystack
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6710868

Dont you know that Cowboys were the Cowboy hats to cover horns?

I too am a big fan of yours Haystack... LOL have a good day
Elleisn
Denver, CO

June 19, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6711963

I''m blaming it on the squirrel. We have this squirrel who keeps breaking into our house, and eating our bread. I had just bought an expensive loaf of whole wheat raisin bread, and I was looking forward to making sandwiches. Well the squirrel came in and ransacked my kitchen, and ate most of the loaf of bread. I was able to get 4 slices, then my chicken stole it. And on top of that she got peanut butter all over her.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6713538

Now this is really something else all together so there is a squirrel involved with the peanut butter sandwich the chicken was eating while playing in a sprinkler {;~)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

June 20, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6714957

Elle! What fun you have brought to all of us! Years ago I had a pet squirrel and I put some peanut butter on a soda cracker, and the doggone crows would always dive bomb the squirrels around here. Anyway that little squirrel put his head down to taste the peanut butter and at the same time one of the crows divebombed him and he ducked his head and the soda cracker with the peanut butter stuck to his head, and off down the street he ran with that cracker stuck to his head. Laughed til i cried. Sounds to me like you and your friends make up a great neighborhood. Thanks for the story. Haystack

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America