Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: I have to movehelp!

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 41, Views: 1,087
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6700137

All my garden is on my balcony, and we're moving after 10 gardening summers here. We're not moving far, just six blocks away, but I have about 40-50 container plants -- window boxes (on the balcony railing) perennials, vines, annuals (no veggies) -- that have to be moved. I'm not as able as I once was, so it's a pretty daunting task for me. DH is disabled, so he won't be any help. I have to rely on my son who has a broken foot, and one friend to get these plants from my current balcony to my new balcony. Any ideas about how best to do it? How to get them ready to move?

Thumbnail by revclaus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6703226

Rev you have packed a heck of a lot of garden into a very small place. It's simply gorgeous!

Thank goodness you're not moving far. You didn't mention your mode of transportation but I assume you have some type of truck or moving van? I wouldn't think they'd have much difficulty making the trip since it's such a short distance. I would just set them in the vehicle as they are and drive slowly to avoid tippage.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6703398

I don't know if you're a churchgoer or not, but this sounds like a case where maybe some of the young people from church would be happy to do a good deed and help you get the plants down and back up again. Or maybe there are some teenagers in the neighborhood who are out of school for the summer who you could pay a small amount to help you out. Carrying the plants down from this balcony and up to the other one won't be hard at all for someone without physical limitations, and as long as you or someone you know & trust can manage the careful driving so things don't fall over in the car part that could work.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #6709571

ecrane's idea is great...kids!! Failing that, check with a garden club, gardeners like to help other gardeners.
peony8
Westford, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6709630

And you probably don't want to water the pots the same day you move them. :-)

Unless that's key (what do I know, I'm new at all this), but that sure would add weight!

*Beautiful* porch, revclaus. It must give you such pleasure sitting out there, especially combined with that gorgeous view.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6724068

What a beautiful view of the city and mountains! I grew up in Denver and sure do miss it. And surrounded by such gorgeous plants on your balcony! Kudos on your container gardening, revclaus!

A small wagon would help get a few plants at a time from the balcony to the elevator and then outside to a truck or trailer. Maybe you could get those kids or garden club members to each bring a wagon. They'd be done in no time! :-)

Good luck on your move!
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6725965

imames, I know what you mean! I was away from Denver for some years in the 80s and 90s and was very happy to move back. It's too bad this building is in a state of decline. I thought I'd live out my days looking at those wonderful mountains.

peony, good idea! I wouldn't have thought not to water the plants before moving. Some of them are extremely heavy after they've been watered.

I'm interviewing a mover Wednesday. They're coming out to do an estimate. I'm hoping they can load them up last and deliver them first. I know movers don't like to move plants, but this is a local company. Fingers crossed! Otherwise, it'll take many days with a dolly and a truck to get them moved. Here's the other end of the balcony. It's 26' long.

The church is a good idea. So is putting an ad in the local community paper to see about teens who may be willing to help. I do have a dolly and I could rent a truck for a day. I'm going to have trouble getting my vines down -- I have three clematises and a long pot full of morning glories. They're all pretty manageable now, but by the end of July they could be pretty difficult to move. I might just have to prune everything a little early!

Thumbnail by revclaus

bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #6726584

revclaus, what a lovely spot you've created there! A nice little haven for you to relax and I hope not a leaf is damaged in your move.
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2009
11:40 AM

Post #6731107

Revclaus,
I moved from North Dakota to Oklahoma in December with some of my plants. The best advice I can give is not to water, protect them from tipping over and try to move them as little as possible until they get used to their new home.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6731748

Tina, how did you keep your plants from tipping over? Did you use boxes??
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6739412

You're only moving 6 blocks away, that's good. I would not trust the movers with any of the more fragile plants, such as the clematis and MG... trim them back as much as you think they can take the day before moving them... I know it is a huge amount of work, but if there is any way you can space it over a few days, if the movers take the ones that are the simplest to move and you yourself the ones that have more fragility...

You can do it! *grin*

I have been inspired by your deck, you may recall my saying so, Revclaus... My own deck is full of things now, would sure hate to have to move it all, but I know I could if I h ad to, after all, I am the one who put it all there!

I trust you will find some willing hands and backs also, good suggestions about that here... And oh my yes, do not water right before moving! and be ready to water as soon as you do move, also.

Good luck and I hope to see pictures of their new home!

Kyla
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6748736

As it turns out, the movers are experienced plant movers and are bringing a separate truck just to move the plants, and they're not charging me extra. The owner of the company explained to me that not watering has another benefit than the obvious one of weight is that drier soil allows the delicate root hairs to move freely through the soil, whereas wet soil will damage the fine root hairs. Guy knows what he's talking about! He decided on the extra truck when he saw my garden. He also suggests taking all the plants myself that I can. A local garden center is selling plastic crates they use to move plants. They're the right size to carry about three of my smaller plants and keep them upright while moving. I figures about 5 of those would help me move the ones I can move. So it's all beginning to come together! Yay! I'll keep you all posted on how it went. And thanks, everybody, for your great suggestions and your sympathy :-)
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6749387

What a serendipity! Glad everything is coming together for you. Good luck with your move, revclaus! I hope you'll post some pictures of your beautiful plants in their new place when you get settled.
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6751571

Oh how great, that your moving helpers are experienced and knowledgeable and caring! I like stories like that. ;-)

Yes, do tell about how it goes...

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6757958

Best wishes on your new place. Your balcony is stunning :>)
Christine
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6759257

sorry about not answering sooner. I'm glad that you found a company that is willing to move your plants for you. I put some of the plants in plastic bins and then just packed the rest of them around the bins. I also packed towels and blankets around them for more stability.
gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6773599

Hey, Judith!
MOVING?!?!
I don't envy you. I was bugging out when I moved from Mom's into my own place. - and that was just next door! LOL! 18 paces from her door to mine. I decided my next move would be in a body bag.
:oP
That was before I had the plants I have now. I don't know what I'd do if I had to move these days.
Over 150 pots?!?! Uh-uh.. it ain't happenin'!!!!

What's your new balcony like? Sixe... exposure... view??
I hope it's not smaller. Bigger would be best! Then we could all jump on the enable wagon! Wheeeeeee!!!

Good Luck!

Nancy
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6775257

Hi Nancy! I know what you mean. When we moved in here that's what I said too, never again. Never say never!

The new balcony faces east southeast. The one I have now faces north northeast. But the current one is on the northwest corner of the building, so I have early morning sun from the east and late afternoon sun from the west, and no trees in the way. The new one is on the northeast corner of the building, so no western sun. And there are trees in the front of the balcony. The big difference is that though the square footage is a little smaller, the new balcony is 9 x 14, whereas the old one is 5 x 26, a much friendlier shape, more like yours. This is it, sans the carpeting which I asked that they remove. I'll have to live there awhile before I know what the sun exposure is.

I'm afraid there won't be any opportunity for enabling :-( I can't figure out how to put all my plants out there now. I have floor planning software, and with DH now using a walker, I'll have less available space for plants. He wants a table, so I bought a 28" square wire mesh one at the supermarket. And he wants a grill, so I'm getting one of those that's 22" in diameter. Everything is "balcony-size." A much better arrangement for outdoor living, but less favorable for more gardening.

If I had 150 pots I wouldn't move, I don't care if the building fell down around me! But I've only got about 40 or so. It'll be manageable (she says hopefully).

Thumbnail by revclaus

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6775261

Here's another view looking east southeast.

Thumbnail by revclaus

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6775266

And finally, the balcony wall which has an electrical outlet which we don't have now. It has two doors, one off the kitchen and one off the living room. The living room door is 8', and the kitchen door is about 4'. Lots of light inside.

Thumbnail by revclaus

bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2009
11:13 AM

Post #6775871

revclaus, what a wonderful, blank slate for your garden, can't wait to see how you set it up.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6967106

The day we moved my husband fell and broke his hip. He's been in the hospital ever since, so I haven't done anything with the new balcony garden except to try to keep up with watering. He's very sick and I'm at the hospital every day for many hours. When I water it helps just to be in the garden no matter what it looks like. The moving crew did a wonderful job. Nothing at all was lost or even greatly disturbed. Here's a corner.

Thumbnail by revclaus

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 20, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6967195

revclaus
I'm so sorry to hear about your husbands hip and illness that is tough on top of moving.
I hope he is able to recover quickly and join you at home soon.
I am sending positive thought and prayers your way.
Ann
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6967459

Oh wow, so sorry to hear of this.

I love how gardens sustain us, sometimes, even when we can only water them.

gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2009
6:57 AM

Post #6967539

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, Judith!
I hope all goes well.
I'm glad your "babies" made the move intact.

Nancy
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6974859

So sorry to hear about your husband. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Glad to hear your plants all survived the move. I wondered how that went. That corner looks beautiful.

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #7125850

My husband died on 9/15, but not before he saw the garden. He wanted to come home to die, so we brought a hospital bed in and had hospice care. The first thing he wanted to see was the garden. It meant so much to him to see it before he died, and he did. Three days later he was gone. I'm glad for the freeze warning tonight. It will take the garden to its winter home and I won't have to be reminded of what it looked like when he was alive.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #7126435

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.God Bless you
Christine
gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7127055

OH!
Judith! I'm so sorry!
Special hugs & prayers go out to you & your family.

Nancy
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

October 2, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7128075

I am so sorry you lost your husband. I cry for you. I too am glad he got to see the garden in place. My Husband is on hospice for a very bad heart and I bring him flowers from the garden everyday so he can see up close what is in bloom. He enjoys it so much. I never knew until lately how much he loves roses. He always seemed to just tolerate the flower talk. Now he is in on the deck plant plannings. Take care of yourself. shirleyt
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7128121

So sorry for your loss. How wonderful that he got to see the garden before he passed. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God bless.
Maria
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 2, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7128287

Judith
My heart goes out to you!
I am very sorry to hear this sad news. Take some time for your self and get back your garden mojo.
Ann
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7128807

Thank you all so much for your very supportive thoughts and prayers. Don't know what I'd do without DGers like you all. Our freeze didn't happen last night, even though it got down to 26 F. I think I must have a warmer microclimate on the balcony. I'm hoping it happens tonight.

I am thinking about next year's garden. This balcony gets much more sun than our other balcony. I can grow tomatoes, herbs and sun-loving flowers. I just want this year's garden to be over.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #7157269

OH>>Rev..My God..
I'd been watching your move getting set up... we'd posted together on different high wind / cold issues in the past... so I was watchful of your moving plight.. and pleased to see the new spot had an outlet and such... it looked like it was going to be great... and today checked in to see how it went... I was floored...first the fall...and it went on from there...
I'm terribly sorry for your loss...just when it seemed like so much fun behind the work to move.. and then to be there and have him laid up so in the hospital... ya'll did share such a love from the garden..you'll remember those times together I'm sure...
May your faith and strength from your love keep you through this... May spring come again to your garden... to buoy you up for a new season..
Gordon
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #7160977

Thanks, Gordon. Your thoughts and prayer are just what I needed this morning. I was looking at how the frost took the garden, just as a fall took my husband. It was depressing. You're right about the spring garden. I have an order of bulbs coming this week which should give me something to look forward to in the spring. All I have to do is get motivated to plant them. Fortunately when my son and son-in-law were here for Chuck's death and funeral my son-in-law took all the bulbs out of the pots I had planted last fall (I always treat them as annuals) to plant them in their garden in the ground in Minneapolis. All I have to do now is replace the soil and pot up the bulbs. My only problem is a local squirrel who wants to dig them up. He climbs up the tree in front of the balcony and gets into the pots. Brent & Becky's suggested putting window screen on top of the dirt. They said the squirrels won't bother them once they start coming up. Hope she's right.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 12, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7161911

Hi Rev
You can also put bone meal on the top after you plant as the squirrels don't like that stuff either.
Remember too that you won't have them coming up till the spring so you can always put another pot on top or use the saucers you have to protect them. I read somewhere that the squirrels like freshly disturbed soil as they think another squirrel has hidden food there. In this case it would be one big squirrel, namely you, who has hidden the food!
Good to see you posting!
Ann
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7161924

Oh Lordie Judith I just saw this thread. I am so sorry. I don't know what to say. Please let me know if you need to talk or anything. I can dmail you my number. Take care of yourself. I will be thinking of you.

Juanita
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

October 14, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7166419

I'm so sorry th hear that you lost your husband. I lost my dad earlier this year and I have seen how hard it has been on my mom. They were married almost 60 years. She has done some grief counseling and I am currently going to a grief workshop through Hospice. It has helped us so much. There is no charge for it and anyone can go. Just something that you might want to consider. You will be in my prayers.

Shirley
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7171874

Thanks, Shirley. I am going to a bereavement group at the hospice who took care of DH. I haven't been able to go the last two weeks because of other commitments, but I intend to go when I can. It's a "drop in" group that varies from time to time. I've only been once, but it helped to know others are going through some of the same things I'm going through. I'm so sorry that you've lost your father. Life is never the same once you lose a parent. Take care.

Judith
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7392163

Just came across your posting and want to express my deepest sympathy in the loss of your husband. Please take advantage of the grief support group; my neighbor lost her husband in August and she said this group and its leader has been her salvation plus her church and rughooker's group. If I'm not mistaken, you will have hospice to help you for a year.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #7393514

Pippi, thanks for your encouragement. I've gone to the group and will probably use it throughout the next 9 months. It helps. But the biggest help has been my friends, both in town and online. They've been just wonderful. And now I live in a senior community where I knew two people before I moved in. One of them lives just above me. And they both go to my church. My church has been terrific too. And DGers are helping me figure out how to garden here given the limitations I have. Please join the thread over at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060779/.

Judith
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 23, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #7393599

Oh my! I just saw this and I am so sorry for your loss. I think it is wonderful that he was at home where he wanted to be. I know how hard it is to help someone pass, but it is also an incredibly loving thing to do. We were able to help my granny die at home. My heart goes out to you... and hugs...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America