Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: sausage making

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 25, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TexasLizzy
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6701973

Does anyone here ever tried making their own sausage? Good websites?

Lizzy

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6702388

We make our own sausage using deer meat, Lizzy. I have some books that I use, but I also have a formula for Italian sausage that's worked well for me if you're interested.

We have a grinder/sausage stuffer that does the job well, which I got from sillypugs.com, and we buy sausage casing either from the supermarket or from a butcher store. It's not a difficult thing to do at all and I like the fact that you can control the ingredients.
TexasLizzy
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6704968

when using venison, do you add any extra fat?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6705370

Absolutely. I add about 1/3 to 1/2 fatty pork to the mix. Even so it's rather dry but it tastes great.
TexasLizzy
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6705532

thanks, we made our first batch last week. Really fun, and amazingly easy, I was curious if there were any DG'ers that also had tried it. We don't have access to venison as we are not hunters. My DH would love to get his hands on that and some of hte Russian Hogs that run wild here in TX.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6706942

There was a long thread a while back... Dann_L makes lots of sausage.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803086/

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6707003

Thanks for the link, Darius! Interesting idea, to let the flavors marry for 24 to 72 hours before stuffing the casing. We have never done that. But ours is pretty good; it's just a little dry.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6707047

I've been following a blog of a man who makes lots of game recipes, including many sausages... http://www.honest-food.net/blog1/
You might have to hunt around for his recipes. I have serious envy of his skill... all I make so far is venison sausage, and it tends to be dry too. Makes great sausage gravy where you can't tell it's dry. :)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6707395

Yes, I cook mine with red gravy, or with broccoli raab, over pasta. You can still tell the difference in the texture, though!

Leslie
TexasLizzy
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6707751

thanks so much. I will share with my DH. Our first attempt took us more time to agree and tweak recipes than it actually did making the darn things! They did turn out good. Out next batch we will attempt the wait and stuff approach. We have read on bogs, both ups and downs on each way.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6760784

I make a hungarian recipe,pork sausage. Get my 25 lbs meat preground by the butcher through a coarser disc than chop meat and then mix according to recipe and stuff the casing and freeze them in 10" pairs.Helene.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6778497

Hi...I just found this thread.

Darius...How are you? How grows your garlic? I had forgotten about that thread until I saw your post referring to it!

TexasLizzy...I usually wait about 24 hours before stuffing the sausages. I fry up a small patty to check the seasonings one more time and make adjustments if needed. If not, then I stuff them right away, let them air dry in the fridge for a couple of hours and then freeze them. I never let sausage go beyond 72 hours with out freezing or cooking.

Sausage making can be a little intimidating at first but the truth is that it's really easy! Just make small 1/2 lb. batches until you get it like you like it. Don't worry about stuffing it into casings if you don't have the equipment. Use it as bulk sausage. Example...Instead of grilled sausage links on a roll just make sausage burgers and serve on a bun! There are endless ways to use sausage with out it being in links.

Most importantly, have fun and be creative!
TexasLizzy
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6780655

thanks - we didnt wait to stuff, Read online pros and cons. We did do the try it before you case it. And sure enough I forgot to add the thyme and we found the breakfast needed the nutmeg even though we had nixed it at first.

All great ideas. we have eaten both recipes of our first batch an d are ready to start batch #2.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6780808

I forgot to mention that everything, (meat, bowls, grinder attachments), must be kept very cold. I use a large stainless steel bowl and I put that and the grinder attachments in the freezer for about 30 to 45 minutes before using. The meat is very near, but not quite, frozen too.

You mentioned breakfast sausage, what was the other kind you made?
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6780848

liz--dann and all other sausage makers--did you ever make potato sausage? i remember liking that the few times i had it--but i never see it anywhere--i think it might be dutch influence ---and not sure it would be vegetarian since the fat might be meat based
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6780876

I have not made any potato sausage yet, but I have a recipe for one that I thought I would like to try some day. If you would like to make some I'll post the recipe.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6780909

no-i am not a sausage maker--yet :)
just like anything related to cooking! but thanks for the offer and when you make it let us know how it was--does it use animal fat in it?
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6780994

I was just reading the recipe again wondering why I haven't made any. Two of the ingredients are pork skin and back fat. Back fat is commonly used in sausage recipes but the pork skin doesn't show up very often. The recipe doesn't call for much pork skin, but it's there to give the sausage texture and flavor.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6781200

oh --where do you get pork skin--not that i'm in the market?
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6781237

Save a little from a fresh ham or pork shoulder. Or just ask the butcher for some. It takes 1/3 lb pork skin for a 5 lb recipe. You can also use the rind from a slab of bacon.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6781246

i was thinking -ew -yuck-pork skin and now i am thinking mmmmmmmmm pork skin! forgot about ham rind--we used to fight over it when my mother cooked a ham and that rind got crisp --
TexasLizzy
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6784373

DH has heard of it - tells me it has Spanish base.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6786712

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple dozen different recipes floating around for a potato sausage with different ethnic origins because the potato is so widely dispersed. I think I'll do a quick search and see what comes up. The recipe that I have says it has a heavy Swedish influence.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 7, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6787229

yes - swedish is what i think too--even tho i said dutch--close tho!
i do remember liking it--
yes the potato is used so much in different cultures--my lithuanian mother made potato pancakes and kugula which is from potatoes--my husbands irish family had potatoes all the time too--
TexasLizzy
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6788338

Dann_L - you asked what other sausages beside b reakfast did we make. Well, we also did a sweet italian. Used hog casings of the the SI and used lamb casings for the breakfast.

It was a good thing we tasted it (as you suggested) as I had forgotten the thyme. BTW, a question back at you. i grow a lot of our own herbs,. Do you use dried or fresh herbs when making sausage. We had read that garlic dissapates ery quickly from the flavor of the sausage, but was curious if the fresh herbs would stand up.
Qtswede
Coloma, MI

October 23, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7200881

Hi, noob here. We make several different venison & bear sausages, but several times a year we make potato sausage. It is a swedish recipe, years ago it was Christmas tradition, though it isn't popular in Sweden anymore. Still a Christmas favorite with American Swedes though. ;) I should mention it is no where near vegetarian, at least not any version I've ever heard of. It's made of potatoes, beef or venison, pork, onion and sometimes rutabega. Norwegians like to add a little milk, cream or half and half to it, as well as some spices. Our family only uses salt and pepper, and my mom occasionally uses Natures' Seasoning.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2009 1:59 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America