Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: Where is the discussion (s) re: diy irrigation flower/vegs?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 9, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6702385

I know I have read over time several discussions here @ DG's re: diy above ground watering using pvc pipe and your garden hose. Where are they? I will keep looking but I don't remember them using a prepared kit purchased from store. Thank you.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6712753

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6715526

anastatia: You have d-mail.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6716018

I would like to know more about how to set up an above ground irrigation system too. Any links to instructions??
50glee
Huntersville, NC

July 15, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6820496

well ive clicked back and forth several times looking for an Irrigation forum . . .

possibly that is why the question has been raised.
- I did not see any irrigation forum.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6822138

I haven't heard of one either, but it would be a great idea!
50glee
Huntersville, NC

July 15, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6823736

the given link opens up to the general forum page where there are a multitude of forums to select form
- thus far none are Irrigation . . .

lets see what can be done . ..
Port Severn, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 25, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6984651

Hi Anastatia. I too was looking for the same thing. New member here searching around...

I did find one area by "searching DG" from my Home Page and that brought me to a couple of articles.

I have also found a great website (just today actually) that finally simplified the terminology and fittings and installation for me to understand. It is in Canada but I saw from the site they ship to the U.S. as well.

I just went through the tutorials and the wizard and found it very helpful.

Good luck. (Please let me know if you find something better!) http://www.dripirrigation.ca/

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6985379

I'm the one who at one point described the system I put in parts of my garden.

It's essentially the same way you do an underground system, using pvc pipe and fittings. The difference being, that you don't hook into your main water line for the house. You can bury the pipes if you want, but just enough to hide them from sight. You use a "hose to pipe" fitting for each section you want to irrigate. Any HD, or Lowes, etc. will carry these in the pvc aisle. Then, just hook your garden hose up to it. This way there is no major trenching to do, no blasting under cement or paved areas etc.

HOWEVER: You DO need decent water pressure at your hose bib. If you're unsure what pressure you have, you can have a plumber ck. it for you or you can buy a pressure gauge and hook it up to your hose bib. Thread it on the bib and turn the water on full force. This will tell you how much pressure you have. There are no "valves" involved in this at all.

In addition:

1.) Once you've determined how much pressure you have, you have several choices as far as what types of heads to use. Some heads need more pressure, other's don't. All of which depends on how lg. of an area you need to water and what it is you're growing.

2.) You DO need to glue the pipes. It's very easy. A pvc pipe cutter is essential and they're pretty cheap.

3.) I did my entire garden like this. My main water line is too far away to access and I had way too many obstacles in my way to do it otherwise. I also have numerous paths and "garden rooms" and didn't want to be digging endless trenches to run pipe and valves, etc., or going under cement, patios, etc.

4.) You can get as intricate or as simple as you want with this. Mine is as simple as can be and works like a charm. All I do is move the hose from section to section and hook it up to the system...turn the water on and let it run. When everything has been watered, coil up the hose and that's it.

5.) I'm in So. Calif. and we don't get snow here, so the pipes don't freeze. I don't know about areas with snow...you'd have to ask at the store you go to.

6.) Very impt: At each connection point, I put in one of those wire screen washers in the hose to pipe fitting. This way, bugs and snails/slugs can't crawl in the opening of the pipe and clog up the heads. It's like that conical shaped screen/washer combination that is at the ends of your hoses on your washing machine...about a buck each.

If you don't have huge areas to water, this is ideal.
I have (on average) about 10 heads per section.

Laying it out is all geometry. If you have a rectangular area, Put the heads in the corners and and some in between. Sprinkler heads basically come in spray patterns of 1/2 1/3 1/4 and full circle spray patterns. You use the appropriate heads depending on the size of your beds... as well as the the direction you want the water to go.

I only use heads that spray the water out PARALLEL to the soil...NOT up and out. This prevents flower heads from getting water-logged and keeps foliage dry.

Without a video, that's really all I can tell you about it...but it works.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6991626

Thanks, Jasper, for all the details and instructions. Very very helpful!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America