Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Montanar1
Guatay, CA

June 18, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6703646

This is my first year starting my vegetgable garden and I planted brocolli. I live in So Ca and I used
a whiskey barrel to plant 4 of them. I planted them on Mothers Day and I now have 3 tall brocolli stalks
that my husband said are the male stalks and I have 1 brocolli flowerette, which he says is the female..

What I would like to know is if I cut the flowerette brocolli, will the stalk produce more, should I leave
the male stalks, not quite sure what to do.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009 7:18 PM
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6709781

I wasn't aware that broccoli was sexist, but if you cut off the main head, little side shoots develop which can be harvested a week or two later. (That reminds me, I have to get my second cutting in before they start to flower!) Perhaps your other stalks wlll eventually produce the edible parts.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6718795

The leaves are edible, and very rich in vitamins. Use like kale or collards, or even nibble young leaves as you garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 18 May 10, 2013 2:47 AM
My EB garden (and more) BocaBob 121 Dec 11, 2008 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America