Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Penstemon: An introduction to species and cultivars: Penstemon at MidAtlantic beach area?

Communities > Forums > Article: Penstemon: An introduction to species and cultivars
bookmark
Forum: Article: Penstemon: An introduction to species and cultivarsReplies: 3, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindabres
Burke, VA

June 18, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6706265

We have a zone 7 beach home in Delaware & many xeric plants do well here because of sandy, well drained soil & hot days (sometimes humid) with moderate rain. Can anyone recommend some penstemon varieties to try that may do well in my area? I love them & hope I can grow some here. Linda
aasalas
Lewes, DE
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7819094

I've seen Penstemon Husker Red growing very successfully here in Lewes, DE. This summer I'm growing a couple from the "Phoenix" series, which is listed as an annual that blooms all summer and takes the heat. It's late May and it looks like they will start blooming soon -- buds are showing color.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7820541

I wonder if the Gulf Penstemon might work? I am not very familiar with your climate/conditions...but I know it does great in the hot, hot, hot dry-though-sometimes-very-wet south.
aasalas
Lewes, DE
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7878602

The annual "Phoenix" Penstemons are doing great. Spectacular blooms. It'll be interesting to see how well they rebloom. I'll report back.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Penstemon: An introduction to species and cultivars Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The "Move" from Tx. to Co.! HORSEWOMAN3D 1 Aug 4, 2008 3:39 PM
New penstemon fan grampapa 3 Aug 5, 2008 12:43 PM
My 08 Penstemon jadajoy 4 Feb 14, 2009 5:46 PM
What a Variety! PrimroseSue 2 Aug 5, 2008 4:24 AM
Great informative article beebonnet 4 Aug 4, 2008 10:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America