Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Fewer honey bees?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6708471

Am noticing fewer honeybees, so far this year, than usual.

Had read that though honeybees are smaller, the ratio of honeybees to bumblebees is typically something close to 20 to 1. So far this year, have noticed just about as many bumblebees as honeybees and the honeybees seem rather smaller than last year. A friend in a large local garden centre says that normally they have lots of bees around the hanging plants when they are put outside. She too says that there are fewer honey bees than usual. She also said that she's seeing a lot of unusually large bumblebees, which is also my impression from my own garden. Perhaps there just seems to be a lot of large bumblebees because there are so few honeybees.

The time when I really notice large numbers of bees is in summer, when I'm deadheading tall nectar perennials like culver's root, purple loosestrife cultivars and globe thistle. It's going to be interesting to see if there are more honeybees around by then.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6709173

Did a bit of reading and have an answer to own question: Colony Collapse Disorder. Knew was a problem with bees, but didn't realize it was just with honeybees.
Don't know if it's too early in the growing season to say here yet, but the reduction in number of honeybees since just last year would seem to be dramatic. The ones I've seen so far seem to me, as a gardener, rather small. Are bumblebees actually larger than last year, or is it that we're just seeing so few (and small) honey bees? Just last summer, I was gardening in the middle of bees and the majority of them were certainly normal sized honeybees.

tolo
Missouri City, TX

July 15, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6820451

Numbers of bees has been dropping since about mid-1995 for various reasons especially a number of diseases. I've seen this all over the country. Wild bees are rare and most bees that we see belong to established bee keepers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America