Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Come join the parade!: Day Lilies + Summer = Wow!

Communities > Forums > Article: Come join the parade!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Come join the parade!Replies: 1, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
oldkate
Hillsboro, OH

June 19, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6709776

Sharran, you mention in your article that your Aunt Bett's "ditch lily" is the first to bloom. Then you don't have the old-fashioned, blooms around Memorial Day (in southern Ohio), sweet-smelling "lemon lily"? How can I send you a "chunk"? You really need it. I have around 200 different DLs; have started several from the prolifs they sometimes grow and also from seed. Now if you only lived closer, I could dump a small truckload of starts on your porch...please note I said a SMALL truckload.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6710452

Kate, Hello again!

No, I don't have the lemon lily, even though mine do start their blooms in mid May. We might just have to do something about that. Hmmmmmm, just where is Hillsboro located?

Lemon lilies grew and bloomed in the mountains of SE KY where I grew up, and my grandmother had a brother, Uncle Henry who lived in Columbus Ohio, and came home for Memorial Day every year. He always brought her a clump of either lemon lilies or ditch lilies, and honestly I had forgotten them. How did that happen?

I'd love to see pictures of yours. I haven't counted recently to see how many different ones I have, it seems overwhelming everytime I try. But I would always make room for another one. We just might have to work something out!

Thank you for writing, and for giving me a memory jolt. Maybe in the fall we can figure out a swap, if you can think of a color you want. We are in the middle of a heat wave right now, with temps in the upper 90's, my ground is so hard I couldn't attempt to dig up even a thimbleful, but I will remember your offer, and we'll keep in touch.

Thank you. Have a really good day.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Come join the parade! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Loved it! pbtxlady 9 Jun 19, 2009 6:55 PM
Day Lilies! NEILMUIR1 1 Jun 19, 2009 3:09 PM
Me too ! KimmyCoCoPop 1 Jun 19, 2009 3:16 PM
A lovely piece gloriag 8 Jul 8, 2009 4:40 AM
Smiling for sure! Seedtosser1 3 Jun 19, 2009 4:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America