-
AuthorContent
blackThumbz
Santa Rosa, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6715281

My first time with a Fuschia, I have several. I think they're gorgeous.
I am concerned about the largest one. I think it either needs a new/larger pot or do I trim it back?
I'd also like to propagate some - can I just trim off some pieces and put them in rooting compound and let them grow roots? Then put in soil?
I broke some pieces off accidentally when I first got the plant a few months ago and was successful in rooting them and planting in soil.. Just not sure if I can do that now without hurting the plant. I want to trim it back a bit or move to larger pot.

What should i do?

Thumbnail by blackThumbz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 20, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6715304

I don't know the answer but that's a beauty! I have one but it only has leggy growth and 3 blooms.
Beautiful.
Someone here will be able to help you.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6715332

Fuchsias are pretty forgiving, so if you want to prune it back. go ahead and do so. Maybe trim it back by about 1/3 then feed it. I personally wouldn't cut it back much more than that.

When I used to have numerous fuchsias in hanging pots, I only changed the soil every other year and kept them in the same containers. As long as you keep feeding them and watering them on a regular basis you can keep them in the same container.

Just make sure when you do cuttings that there's no buds or blooms on the cuttings.

The one you have more than likely has 3 or 5 plants in the pot it came in. When you buy them like that, that's usually the case. They plant several in one container and they fill out much faster that way.
blackThumbz
Santa Rosa, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6715343

Its definitely a happy plant! thanks! I take no credit really.. I just admire it. The DH waters it everyday. And it must like were we have it hanging becuase we are getting a ton of blooms. I'd hate to kill it. But I think it's getting to big for it's pot.
blackThumbz
Santa Rosa, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6715352

"Just make sure when you do cuttings that there's no buds or blooms on the cuttings."

Can I cut the pieces that have the little 'grape' on them?

Just as long as it doesn't have a blossom?

thanks for the help
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 20, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6715377

What should I do with my leggy one?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6715421

The "grape" you see is the seed pod that remains after the flower falls off. Clip them off, as well. You don't want the cuttings "wasting effort" on producing the seed...you want them to develop roots.

Leave at least two sets of leaves on the cuttings...any more than that will be too much for the cutting to try and keep alive.

ONE way to get really full and lush hanging fuchsias is to keep pinching off the tips of the stem every time it develops two or three sets of leaves. They'll sprout new foliage very quickly at this time of year.Then when you get them the fullness you want, STOP pinching them and they'll bloom. AT THAT POINT IN TIME, start feeding them with a plant food with a higher middle number...like a 5-10-5 plant food. They'll send out a ton of blooms that way.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6715430

Louise: Can you post a photo of yours? It would help to see it first before giving you wrong info !
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 20, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6715589

Ok, will do Mike, got a wedding to go to today but will post tomorrow.
Thanks again. (I'm really surprised my fuschia made it, it had been forgotten and neglected til dh found it and moved it to a better spot on the arbor. It's the red and purple one. My fav, along with the red and white one,)
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 21, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6719640

Ok, Mike, here's my leggy fuschia. Tell me what I need to do and when I need to do it.
Thanks for your help buddy.

Thumbnail by weegy12

weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 21, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6719648

And another photo.

Thumbnail by weegy12

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6720523

I think (emphasis on "think") you have an upright fuchsia in a hanging pot instead of a hanging type. Yours looks like "Voodoo" (an upright ) and it will take more sun exposure than most of the others.

If that's the case, plant it either in the ground or in a bigger pot and put it where it will get a little more sun...but not all day sun where you are.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

June 22, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #6721528

Thanks Mike, we will first try a bigger pot and moving it to where it will get more sun.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #7023891

Hi weegy12, I agree with Mike. Did you do that? How is it looking now? It isn't Vooddo, but it is definately an upright. And from the photos, it looked like it also wasn't getting enough water.
olivehaley
Edinburg, TX

September 4, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #7023935

where can i get one, they are beautiful, i have never seen them before.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7025322

Well, first we have to figure out what it is. Because it isn't Voodoo. This is Voodoo.
So hopefully weegly12 will repost of more recent photo of it in the thread I started about us helping each other identify our unknowns. And we can work in finding out what it really is ;-)

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Can we grow cold hardy Fuchsia in our area? hummer_girl 23 Sep 4, 2009 4:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America