Dark purple flowers?

Pawleys Island, SC

Can anyone tell me which hydrangea has very dark purple flowers? I have seen some lately and the blossoms look similar to nikko blue, but I have never seen a nikko blue so dark.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Linda

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Purple is the color between pink and blue. When the soil pH gets close to neutral, it can cause blooms to turn purple in colored mopheads. In neutral, some colored flowers may turn white-ish. Very difficult to duplicate if your soil pH is not identical; it may be easier in a potted setting.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

My mom sent me this picture from Brazil. What are those beautiful dark purples?

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I planted a dark pink Macrophyllla, "Merritt's Supreme", and the next season it came up dark purple in our acid soil. I absolutely love the color, and the blooms take on that dusky plum color in the fall like your photo, robcorreia. Unfortunately I won't get many blooms this year because something funky happened with it last year and all the middle buds did not leaf out. It seems to be recovering well this year with lots of new growth, but I only see a couple flower buds :(

Thumbnail by Noreaster

close up

Thumbnail by Noreaster
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

How beautiful! No matter how much sulfur I add to my soil, my hydrangeas are so pink...

Thumbnail by robcorreia

Well, the pink ones are very lovely, too!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

rob: Changing the pH of your soil doesn't happen quickly by any means. It took me two years to get my (formerly blue, then went pink ) hydrangeas to be blue again.

You have to remember that on this coast, our soil tends to be very alkaline, which will make hydrangeas be pink. Our water is also alkaline...which doesn't help, either.

When I first planted all of mine, I planted them in solid peat moss. Nothing else. My soil is sandy clay so they stayed blue for many many years. In the last two years, they started reverting to pink, so I used that organic sulfur on them and now they're blue as can be.

I did a comparison test on one, and only gave it half as much and it is now that mix of pink, blue, lavender and purple.

I don't even bother with testing the soil because it's a given that it's alkaline.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

JD: is it true that it takes lime longer to turn them pink than sulfur to turn them blue?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I think that depends on HOW acidic your soil is to start with. Your East Coast soil is very high on the acidic side and mine is just the opposite...so it's all relative.

It most likely takes just as long to get yours to turn pink as it does to get mine to turn blue.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

JD, thanks....makes total sense! Yes, our soil is so alkaline here in CA I don't even bother testing either! How often do you apply the sulfur? What brand do you like?

Pawleys Island, SC

I think I am going to see what I can find out. I have very acidic soil. Maybe I just need to tweek it a little.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.