Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hydrangeas: Dark purple flowers?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 11, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

June 20, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6715775

Can anyone tell me which hydrangea has very dark purple flowers? I have seen some lately and the blossoms look similar to nikko blue, but I have never seen a nikko blue so dark.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Linda
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6716162

Purple is the color between pink and blue. When the soil pH gets close to neutral, it can cause blooms to turn purple in colored mopheads. In neutral, some colored flowers may turn white-ish. Very difficult to duplicate if your soil pH is not identical; it may be easier in a potted setting.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6734557

My mom sent me this picture from Brazil. What are those beautiful dark purples?

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6735172

I planted a dark pink Macrophyllla, "Merritt's Supreme", and the next season it came up dark purple in our acid soil. I absolutely love the color, and the blooms take on that dusky plum color in the fall like your photo, robcorreia. Unfortunately I won't get many blooms this year because something funky happened with it last year and all the middle buds did not leaf out. It seems to be recovering well this year with lots of new growth, but I only see a couple flower buds :(

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6735177

close up

Thumbnail by Noreaster

robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #6735322

How beautiful! No matter how much sulfur I add to my soil, my hydrangeas are so pink...

Thumbnail by robcorreia

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6736020

Well, the pink ones are very lovely, too!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6736766

rob: Changing the pH of your soil doesn't happen quickly by any means. It took me two years to get my (formerly blue, then went pink ) hydrangeas to be blue again.

You have to remember that on this coast, our soil tends to be very alkaline, which will make hydrangeas be pink. Our water is also alkaline...which doesn't help, either.

When I first planted all of mine, I planted them in solid peat moss. Nothing else. My soil is sandy clay so they stayed blue for many many years. In the last two years, they started reverting to pink, so I used that organic sulfur on them and now they're blue as can be.

I did a comparison test on one, and only gave it half as much and it is now that mix of pink, blue, lavender and purple.

I don't even bother with testing the soil because it's a given that it's alkaline.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6736782

JD: is it true that it takes lime longer to turn them pink than sulfur to turn them blue?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6736831

I think that depends on HOW acidic your soil is to start with. Your East Coast soil is very high on the acidic side and mine is just the opposite...so it's all relative.

It most likely takes just as long to get yours to turn pink as it does to get mine to turn blue.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6737903

JD, thanks...makes total sense! Yes, our soil is so alkaline here in CA I don't even bother testing either! How often do you apply the sulfur? What brand do you like?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

June 26, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6740696

I think I am going to see what I can find out. I have very acidic soil. Maybe I just need to tweek it a little.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America