Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Pollinators on second shift: moths: A moth trail

Communities > Forums > Article: Pollinators on second shift: moths
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pollinators on second shift: mothsReplies: 3, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

June 21, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6718059

Hi, Sally. What a great article. I never thought about a moth trail before, but now that sounds like a marvelous idea! We have had hummingbird moths in our yard for some years and I always enjoy seeing them. Now I'll be looking for some of those brightly colored moths pictured here and out prowling my yard at night. The neighbors truly will think I've gone over the edge: "Now she's out there at night with that camera!" Ah, well, it's a magnificent madness.

Angie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6719042

Hi Angie~
Thanks for your comments. I hope you get good results on your moth trail. (As they say, results may vary) ! But there are so many moths in BugFiles submitted by DGers, somebody out there is having good luck.
I later read a variation on the moth trail called a wine rope--take a thick cotton rope and soak it in your "juice" and hang it. Yep, they will really think we're nuts with these things hanging around; maybe we need to put a bell on the end or something for decoration...
Anyway, glad to know others have fun finding "new insects"!
Sally
purplegecko4
Debary, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6719508

I love both of these suggestions. They would be a great thing to do as a family, or with the grandkids. Sounds more fun than video games or tv. It could turn into a fun science fair project too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6719772

Science Fair= good idea. Get data and pics in summer and be ahead of the game at Fair time. A nice messy kid thing, set it up then go toast marshmallows while you wait for the moths. Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pollinators on second shift: moths Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful article ! Dea 6 Jun 22, 2009 1:57 AM
Thank you! From all the Moths starsplitter7 1 Jun 22, 2009 1:56 AM
Raising/Releasing Moths Zone7_NJ 3 Jun 23, 2009 10:17 PM
Excellent ! Thank you :-) solserenade 1 Jun 23, 2009 1:11 PM
Capturing for photography LadyAshleyR 4 Jun 25, 2009 12:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America