Photo by Melody

Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips: Watermelon

Communities > Forums > Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips
bookmark
Forum: Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing TipsReplies: 5, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 21, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6718823

Diana: Very good topic, and much needed. I can't believe how much watermelons are costing in the groceries today, can you believe up to $6 a piece where I am? I'm growing some of my own this year.
joy

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6720141

Hi Joy, thanks and good luck growing your watermelon. Do you know what cultivar you are trying?
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 22, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6721224

Bonnie Bell from Kmart and I have the sugar baby, ambrosia melon and cantaloupe and green melon.
joy

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6723715

It sounds like you have a nice selection. We have a melon or squash of unknown identity growing out of a pot and the critters -- namely chipmunks -- have been eating off the buds! It looks like someone came by with scissors and snipped them right off. There are a lot of other buds though, so I'm sure we'll get something eventually ^_^

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~Diana
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 22, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6723746

wind: Roast chipmunk for sure. LOL

Just got off the phone with Boca Bob, if you live in an area like south FL or here right now, you can water your melons every day if they are in coconut coir, the coir will absorb any extra water and release it also if the melons get thirsty. The coconut coir bags are great for growing the melons in as the melons are right close to the ground and the vines has room to sprawl that way. The coconut coir does keep them moist too, summertime is always the hottest and driest part of the year, Spring is rainy up here, but Summer is dry and hot, so the coir is a plus in the summer for that reason. I'm transplanting the 6 watermelon plants tonight and putting 3 per bag.
joy

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6723880

Roast chipmunk! -- never -- lol (I know you're only kidding) we love those little guys even after they dig up my plants, nibble off buds, leaves and gosh knows what else in the garden. Our yard is a certified wildlife habitat and our latest visitor has been a wild turkey. He is out there gobbling away now. I'm sure some of the neighbors have had thoughts of roasting him!

And thanks for the info about the coconut coir bags. I never realized they were so popular. I noticed some for sale on Dave's Garden marketplace too http://davesgarden.com/products/market/search.php?q=coconut+coir&=Search+Marketplace

Be well,
DW

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank You! nanny_56 9 Aug 21, 2008 11:39 AM
Nice Article phicks 3 Aug 21, 2008 2:53 AM
Great Job! Aunt_A 3 Aug 22, 2008 4:25 AM
Watermelon Shrimp Salad critterologist 0 Aug 21, 2008 4:06 AM
Our family's 4th of July Feast Marigold42 1 Aug 27, 2008 12:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America