Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Pollinators on second shift: moths: Raising/Releasing Moths

Communities > Forums > Article: Pollinators on second shift: moths
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pollinators on second shift: mothsReplies: 3, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zone7_NJ
Collingswood, NJ

June 22, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #6721882

Hi, Thanks for your article on "second shift pollinators." The reviews continue: extremely well done! My attention is now expanded to providing harbor for this member of Insecta... Can you recommend a source for raising (to release) moths?
Thanks,
Zone7_NJ
(Photo shown of Leopard Moth, May 2009)

Thumbnail by Zone7_NJ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6723037

Hi~~Thanks for your nice comments!

Before I looked for a source of eggs or caterpillars commercially (they do exist) I found this superb detailed instruction by Liz Day on the process of raising them.
http://www.kiva.net/~daylight/moth.html#intro

It includes info on capturing wild moths in your area to get eggs. I'd suggest anyone thinking about raising moths should read this first and prepare for the details needed to help ensure success; like all babies they need to be kept clean, safe and properly fed while growing.

I'm having trouble Googling up a source of moth eggs or cocoons you can buy mail-ordered but they exist.

and another good source of info, (sorry, subscribers only) and maybe where to buy eggs/cocoons would be Dave's Garden Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Forum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bbb/all/
There are moth lovers in the bunch there.
Good luck on your moth mothering endeavors!

Zone7_NJ
Collingswood, NJ

June 23, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6728569

Hi,
Thank you for your thoughtfulness and time to answer my question with throughness.
Michael

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6728854

We aim to please!
(oops, moth foster FATHERing :-))

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pollinators on second shift: moths Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A moth trail Hemophobic 3 Jun 21, 2009 8:28 PM
Wonderful article ! Dea 6 Jun 22, 2009 1:57 AM
Thank you! From all the Moths starsplitter7 1 Jun 22, 2009 1:56 AM
Excellent ! Thank you :-) solserenade 1 Jun 23, 2009 1:11 PM
Capturing for photography LadyAshleyR 4 Jun 25, 2009 12:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America