Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy Companions: I've Never Met a Grass I Didn't Like

Communities > Forums > Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy Companions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy CompanionsReplies: 5, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6721937

Well, except for crabgrass, that is! And I've noticed more and more professional landscapers seem to be using them, too.

Could you identify the grass in the fourth picture down? There is a tag but it is too small to make out. Thanks.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6722768

That is Golden hakonechloa, Hakonechloa macro 'Aureola'. It's a very nice grass for the shade.

Doug
GEENP
Ridgeley, WV

June 1, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7849620

We live in the Allegany mountains in West Virginia. Our ground is a little dirt and a lot of shale. Is there a grass that would grow on the hillsides that would not take a lot of water and tolerate a lot of sun and others that will take some shade. Next year is garden year and we are going to plant. I am also going to put a fence around my cutting/main garden to keep the dogs out. I thought about grasses instead but afraid the dogs would tromp it down in search of the rabbits etc that might nest in it. We have 2 acres and grasses would look good on the hillsides. Thanks..LG
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7856719

GEENP, all my tall ornamental grasses are planted in clay/rock beds and they do just fine. As for dogs trampling them, once they are established, they will be tougher than the dogs!

Grasses seem to adjust to the light situation, with full sun being the most favorable, but some shade doesn't seem to faze them--those will just not grow as tall as the full sun location.
Zy
Hamilton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8231767

Here's one of mine that I'm not delighted with: blue switch grass Panicum virgatum ‘Heavy Metal’. Its very-fine 3'-4' tall blades flop over, looking sloppy while smothering out adjacent plants. This can occur even in relatively infertile soils.

Conversely my red switch grass P. virgatum 'Rostrahlbusch' is also very-fine bladed, but has blades only 2' high and they stay tidy. So I advise staying from any very-fine bladed grass that is capable of blades growing taller than 2'.

My maiden grass is fine-bladed, but not as fine as P. virgatum. Its blades can often stand up nicely to 6' tall if I don't fertilize it.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8232457

GeenP:
I have some zebra grass doing very well in poor soil and full sun. It grows 6 to 8 ft tall and makes a large clump so plant specimens 8 to 10 feet apart. A row of these might be good for your hill. Sorry I didn't notice your post earlier.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy Companions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fountain grass nogottarancho 1 Jun 22, 2009 6:50 PM
I've always hesitated to use grasses Bookerc1 9 May 31, 2010 10:51 PM
grasses madchemische 0 Jun 23, 2009 3:00 AM
Grasses gamekeeper 0 Jun 26, 2009 9:11 PM
dividing edgeoftheworld 1 Jun 3, 2010 6:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America