Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Hummingbird Pollinators: Ruby throated hummer near Ceresco, Ne

Communities > Forums > Article: Hummingbird Pollinators
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hummingbird PollinatorsReplies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ricinne
Waverly, NE

June 22, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6722665

This spring I had a nice little experience with an all black ruby throated hummingbird. While sitting quietly in a little secluded area of my garden I noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye and slowly looking around I saw an entirely jet black ruby throated hummer feeding on a "Wine and Roses" Weigela shrub. It was only about 3 feet from me and the contrast of the bright ruby red throat and the jet black head and body was fantastic. The hummer stayed for only about 10 seconds, moving around the flowers and then flew off in a cork screw pattern and was gone. The shrub has since lost it's blooms but I watch for the return of the little guy on other flowers around my yard but have had no luck.

Ric

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6723687

Hi Ric, that must have been great. I hope you see that little guy again!

Happy Hummingbird Watching,
~Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hummingbird Pollinators Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
thank you! onewish1 14 Jun 17, 2009 1:24 PM
Hummingflies Potagere 4 Jun 17, 2009 1:38 PM
Another Hummer article wind 0 Jun 17, 2009 2:31 AM
Hummingbird Hawkmoth K2ne643D76s 1 Jul 21, 2009 7:43 PM
Phygelius Margie721 1 Sep 1, 2009 12:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America