Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Self-contained Box Gardens: Question on Boca Bob's lay flat bags for watermelons

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 7, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 22, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6723032

Ok, I went to Walmart today and picked up 3 Jubilee watermelon plants and 3 Sweet Crimson watermelon plants. I have my other melons in lay flat bags of coconut coir and one in what was supposed to be a hanging bag with Jungle Grow in it, the coconut coir one is doing the best thus far. So; I decided to plant the new 6 watermelon plants in the lay flat bags. Now, the coconut coir has been removed from the bags as I had tomatoes in them at one time. Here is what I was planning to do, add lime and fertilizer (10-10-10) to the coconut coir and then add it back to the lay flat bags and then plant my melons. Now, today I was reading on melons and they didn't mention fertilizer and they also said to water every 3 days? I've been watering every day with this heat.

Questions: Should I continue to water every day, and should I do as I mentioned and how many melons per lay flat bag?

Joy
DesertJake
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6723283

I'd be interested in knowing this too. I've been watering my melons every day... quite a bit too in our dry heat. The melons look great, but I'll be really disappointed if they're watery and flavorless when I pick them. :-(
Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6723573

Watermelons are actually an arid plant. They like it dry for the best resulting fruit.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 22, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6723602

Qinx: So; how often do we water them? And if we only water them every 3 days won't the leaves burn up and die? Of course, with them planted in the coconut coir lay flat bags they should retain moisture pretty well I would think. So; where oh where is Boca Bob????
joy
Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6723903

Amount of water = depends on the location!

Of course you don't want them to dry up, but you should cut back on watering at least a few days or a week+ before harvesting. It's probably a fine line of when to reduce watering.

Excerpt: "Watermelons should be kept free from weeds by shallow hoeing and cultivation. The plants have moderately deep roots and watering is seldom necessary unless the weather turns dry for a prolonged period. In cooler areas, experienced gardeners may find floating row covers, drip irrigation and black plastic mulch advantageous in producing a good crop in a short season." from http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/watermelon1.html
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6725030

I've grown my melons in EBs for years and they get as much water as they want! The resevoir is always full except for the last week or more when the melons get large and the vines start to wither that is when I cut back to watering every other day but only for a few minutes. I never let them go dry and I've grown some fine melons as per Farmerdills advice.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6725040

This is a Mickeylee. Delicious.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joy112854
Crestview, FL

June 23, 2009
6:38 AM

Post #6726419

TPlant: I'm growing mine in Boca Bob's layflat bags in coir, I planted them tonight, I added dolomite lime and epsom salts to the coir, and then put 3 per bag. I then watered them in real good, it's been hot and dry here lately, so watering twice daily on most plants and water the melons every evening. The bags have good drainage and the coconut coir will absorb any excess water I believe.
joy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America