-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6724416

Happy 2nd day of summer everyone. With this great weather, and before it gets too hot, it's a wonderful time to be out in the yard. And with the start of a new season, I am looking forward to seeing what is growing in all of your summer gardens, how you are fitting it into your landscaping, and creative ideas in arranging them for indoor enjoyment. Here's one of my favorites to start the series. Lion's tail.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6724431

I cheated a little and posted a vase shot first, but here is the plant in the ground. It took me a couple of years to find a right spot for it, but once I did, it really took off. This was about a foot tall last year, about 4 feet tall now. It doesn't need much water and can take neglect and a fair amount of sun.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6724447

And here is the full vase shot. The common name is Lion's Tail, it is a Leonotus, but I am not sure which variety, maybe leonurus.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6727174

Happy Summer Dianne, Thanks for the new thread. Love your Lions tail plant! Is it a perennial?
Unusual flower for a pretty arrangement. Great start to the summer series.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6727744

Thanks, Terri. Yes, it is a perennial (most of my plants are - lazy gardener that I am). If you want any seeds, I'll try to remember to save some.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

June 23, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6727761

Oh yes please Dianne! Perennials for the garden are a must have!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 24, 2009
6:47 AM

Post #6730810

that is really nice.
I love what I could see of the kitchen in your earlier pic.
I need a new kitchen mine is old & beat up...
but the bathroom is worse!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6757264

Thanks, Dalfyre. The thing about houses - there is always something that needs to be done. For me, it is to get the outside trim painted (along with having some of the rotting wood replaced). But, gardening is so much more fun and relaxing.

Terri - remind me in about 3 months to save you some seeds...and anyone else who would like some, let me know.

I have a couple of border dahlias - this one is a nice in between height - taller than the bedding plants and shorter than the dinner plants that needs to be staked. I took this photo at the end of May. It is growing in my tomato patch.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #6757278

I normally let the plants stay out in the yard where they provide landscaping color and wait until they are slightly past their prime, but still presentable and then cut them. This is about a month after the yard photo is taken. I cut off most of the stalks, and hopefully there will be a second flush of bloom where they were cut. This photo was taken in the house with a flash and does not do justice to the color. The previous photo is more true-to-life - a peachy color. The flash makes the flowers look too yellow.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6757759

Very nice. I had some of that peachy color, I don't ever mark them when I dig them so don't know if it is one that survived in the bag over winter or not. So far I am not having much success with my dahlias or zinnias this year. The dahlia just bloomed but only one and the others are barely outta the ground?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6765364

Thanks, Candee. Your dahlias sounds like they are just delayed with all the cool wet weather that you have had.

I liked last year's arrangement better with them being mixed up with other stuff so I am repeating it here.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6765625

Marvelous mixed up mass there Dianne, had forgotten that one!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 2, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6770027

. In last years arrangement, you took most of the Dahlia leaves off, thought about what you were making and had a much better result. OOOOOps LoL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 5, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6778856

Lovely peachy colour!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2009
7:17 AM

Post #6779415

Hi Terri - you caught me on that one. This year's was a rush arrangement. My flowers in general are not as robust as last years. I got some zinnia seeds on special and though it is late, I may try sowing them nonetheless. I like how your lottie is a mix of flowers and vegetables!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6785984

Hi Dianne, Hope you get flowers with your Zinnias, they are so pretty, I'm just growing them for the first time this year.
I'll cut some and make some arrangements, I've been really bad lately and haven't made anything for ages. lol.
Keep meaning to take a container or two with me to the lottie so I can do a yard to vase there! Thought about using my boots the other day!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6785999

Terri - that would have been a boot-ti- ful sight LoL.

some good news and bad news - the sprinkler system is now fixed. Bad news - to fix it, a long swath was cut through my garden, to a depth of 2 feet, and my stokesia got mangled in the process. They would have been next on the summer series. So, I am going back and do a rerun on last year's plants. A yard shot.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6786005

the vase shot -

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 6, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6786061

Oh what a shame! Were they flowering yet? Anyway, it's lovely to see your flower bed and arrangement from last year, I loved that bucket! I could leave a bucket at the lottie, if I remember lol.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6786172

Terri - they were on their last leg. But, I normally wait until then to pick my flowers to leave them in the garden as long as possible. Buckets are one of my favorite vases too. I got a really neat ceramic vase from another lab cleanup - can't wait to use it!! it is even numbered - 363/2000.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #6787636

Yellows and oranges tend to dominant my garden during this time of the year. But, here are some pinkish flowers. I had a beautiful patch of glads for about three years, then the thrips got to it the last two years, thought about pulling them out, decided to leave them in, and this year, I got a few blooms that were actually nicely formed. These are planted in front of a rose bush which I always thought was a Cecil Brunner, but was told by some rose experts that it was the wrong color. Whatever rose it is, I love the coral/peach/reddish variations.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6787640

And here they are paired in a vase. I added a few canna leaves and leatherleaf fern. Not quite the balance that I wanted, but it'll have to do for now.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6787702

Terri - this is out of order, but this is the photo that I took of this year's stokesia. I was waiting for the ligher ones (towards the upper left of the photo) to open up more before cutting them for an arrangement.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6788313

I really know nothing about flower arrang., so could you tell me how you get the flowers to stand up? What are they stuck in?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 7, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6788448

Dianne, that is Beautiful! The contrast in size of flowers looks great, love the added foliage.Well done!
I like your sweet roses, they have such a nice shape. My glads haven't come up this year, strange!
ORDER ORDER>>>> get back in line LOL! 363/2000 where are you?

Hi Happgarden, On this thread... Yard to vase, all the arrangements are in a vase of water, no tricks or floral foam!
You can use some wire over the top of the vase to hold the flowers in place, if you so desire!

Thumbnail by terriculture

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6789129

Thanks, Terri,

Happgarden, as Terri writes, I started this thread so that people can post photos of plants that are suitable as cut flowers and to also see what the whole plant looks like in the yard.. The stems have to be strong enough, heights may vary, but the really short stems would only be suitable for very small arrangements, and the life of the cut flowers should last at least 2-3 days, and the best ones last over 5 days.

The wire over the top as in Terri's example is a good idea. Having vases with narrow necks help to stand them up. I have also put smaller containers inside an larger opaque container to help the flowers stay together. You can also use frogs too to keep the flowers upright in shallow containers. Terri had a neat thread a long time ago - what is in your flower arrangers toolbox - I think is the rough title.

Mostly, I just stick the flowers in the vase, and the flowers tend to shine on their own. I do have fun going to thrift stores looking for interesting vases. Hope to see some of your garden and vase shots soon!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6789270

I haven't done very many vases at all, usually just iris and my big dinner plate dahlias cause otherwise it looks like a big mess...LOL
Maybe you all can help me, if I post with suggestions on how to make them better. I was off one day and a friend just happened to stop at a garage sale, I bought 3 vases, usually like neutral colors but there was a bright red one, thought it would look great with my white dahlias.

Dianne, I am doing an orange and white garden and just traded for some of the Lyon orange flowers like your arrangement. They were just tiny seedlings when I got them and only 2 look like they are going to make it. I don't think they liked being mailed. I have my fingers crossed. If they don't make it and produce seed do you suppose you can spare some seeds? I just think those are beautiful.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 7, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6789381

Are you growing Sunflowers Happgarden? we have a Sunflower contest going on, you can pick a raffle ticket number and have a sunflower of your own! Will post the link next!
I'd love to help with suggestions if I can. Looking forward to seeing the new vases too!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 7, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6789385

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1009158/ Join us for a cuppa!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6789696

I only have what they call a "False Sunflower". I will go read and see what you are up to.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6790861

The stokesia is wonderful. Your glads are beauties as well. I haven't seen but a couple popping up this year, not sure what they will be.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 8, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6790954

What is a 'false Sunflower'? apart from the fake ones!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6791038

Happgarden - if the lion's tail seed like I think it should, I'll be sure to save you some too. My lion's tails had a slow start too - I lost one when it got to be about two feet tall, doing well, and then one day, all shriveled up and died. Never did figure that one out. Then another I had in a pot for a couple of years and it did not do much of anything till I decided to put it in the ground last year. And it is going gangbusters this year - the one that is in the photo above. So, yours may take off and do well soon too.

Candee - are you a new grandma again yet?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6791495

Question on Lions tail, do you grow it in a pot? or the ground? I am zone 5 so it may not come to maturity by fall here. I have 3 so far that are alive but sooooo very small.

False sunflower would probably make a pretty arrangement.

Thumbnail by happgarden

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #6791913

Happgarden - I had mine in a pot just as a holding place until I figure out where to put it in the ground. It did not do well for me in the pot. I looked up the info on the plant in the plant files section and there are people in zone 5 that has grown it successfully, some overwinter them indoors, others seem to grow them as annuals. One gardener did grow theirs in a pot. here is the link:http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1048

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6792566

Thank you.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 8, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6792814

Hi Happgarden, the false sunflower looks nice, is it a type of daisy?
snip snip snip and lets see how it does in a vase. lol!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6793485

I think I will snip it not tonight, meeting tonight.
It stands about 3 or more feet tall (or) 91 centimeter(?). It is probably 10 years old, one of the first plants I put in that garden. If it gets very warm it wilts and the flowers will be haning down, but then after the sun moves past it will perk back up. It is good for a distance garden, it will catch your eye.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
7:02 AM

Post #6796651

Happgarden - looking forward to seeing your arrangement. I'll like to know how many days they last as cut flowers too.

Crocosmias are very unpredictable in my garden - grows and spreads where you don't want them, dies off where I want them to grow. They have a mind of their own. I have about 4 patches, and some years one does well, other years another will do well. But, they never, ever, all four patches thrive and bloom all at once. This one is amongst my gingers - i did not plant them there, they got accidentally included when I was doing some transplanting of other plants, but they will be taking over soon LoL.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
7:08 AM

Post #6796653

I cut back the Russelia equisetiformis way back this year, so it is quite small right now. I got some branches last year arching 2-3 feet high. That crocosmia patch next to this one did well last year, but only has about 4 blooming stalks so far..

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #6796654

Orange seems to be the dominant color in my early summer garden right now. I was aiming for a slightly tiered look - bottom is the firecracker plant, added a few of the lion's tail, and topped off with the crocosmia.

Terri - you have a lovely patch of crocosmia too at your lottie. I can't wait to see what you do with them in an arrangement.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
7:17 AM

Post #6796657

Candee - I picked a couple of the yellow/orange alstromerias, and then remembered that you did not care for them, so I kind of hid them in the back LoL. Can you see them???

Happgarden - for your orange and white garden, you will have a lot of different flowers to choose from - including the gallardias, some of the orangy rubeckias, the yellow/orange alstromeria is a really long bloomer, and a lot of different kinds of roses.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6796999

That is one of the prettiest arrangements I have seen. I love those oranges and the crocosmia weaving this way and that. Beautiful. Bet, hummingbirds love them.

I am zone 5 so crocosmia would be marginal for me at best. I just purchased some gallardias. I will have to look up rubeckias, great idea about the orange roses.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 9, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6797509

Hi Dianne, Happy Birthday!!! Have a great day! Lovely arrangement with the Crocosmia.
I haven't cut mine yet , only 1 is open, you are ahead of me again!

This message was edited Jul 9, 2009 3:57 PM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 9, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6797779

I splashed out 5.OO on a new container!!!! Great for your Birthday, you'll have to wait until later to see it, first |I need to pick some flowers! lol.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6800249

This isn't summer, but I really liked these together. These I also took to work.

Got home and my false sunflower is covered in little black hairy worms, eating like crazy! Does anyone know what they are? I was afraid to cut and bring in cause I didn't want to bring the worms or eggs in. I tried washing them off with the hose...

Sorry I should of made the picture smaller.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2009 10:02 PM

Thumbnail by happgarden

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6802573

Sorry about the hairy worms happgarden! no idea what they are, hope the hose down worked!
They Iris look great together, complementary colours and the contrast of light and dark colours set each other off nicely!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6802797

Those little black hairy worms ate about my whole plant. We had terrible storms this morning so hopefully any left were blown or rained off...

I will pick and make something this weekend.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6803160

One of my favs in the garden is Penstemon, love the lilac colour.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6803171

Like Dianne does, I leave them on the plant for quite a while, so some are past their best.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6803182

Strawflowers, there are lots of buds left and 3 more plants that haven't flowered yet , so these had the snip!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6803189

Here they are in a vase.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6803350

Happgarden - I don't have much problems with hairy worms - it is mostly slugs and snails that decimate my plants. Getting one of those dark, blackish irises are on my list. They are so neat.

Nicely done, Terri. Like how you put those clear stones with the penstemon to raise them higher. And the bright colors of your vase goes perfectly with those straw flower. Judging from all the flowers that you picked yesterday, this is just the start of a series of yard to vase from you!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6803434

Thanks Dianne! I may have a couple more... lol

Knautia, has an abundance of flowers, I gave it a haircut, it was looking a bit shaggy!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6803439

Knautia with a bit of sparkle!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6803444

I dressed up the bottom of the vase with Knautia leaf and flower!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6803466

Amaranthus!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 10, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6803475

In a vase...

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6806087

Hi my cut flower friends! I'm sorry it's been a long time since I've taken a peek in here. It's no surprise that your gardens and arrangements are just beautiful.

Dianne, love the lion's tail and dahlias. Your roses, whatever the name is, are beautiful. Love the large clusters of small cupped roses! Terri, how are you? Your strawflowers are pretty and even more amazing when paired with that striking vase. Pretty amaranthus too. Hi Candee! Your bloodgrass is doing amazing. I think of you every time I see it, and again thank you!

Here' my contribution. I'm sorry that I can only do this once in a while. Hope you even remember me!

Hydrangeas and arrowhead folige.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6806089

Bloodgrass courtesy of Candee!

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6806096

Not much color or excitement but it's the best I can do.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 11, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6806130

Hi Karma!! Yay, missed you, being thinking about you and Peyton my friend!
Love your arrangement, see you haven't lost your elegant touch,Very beautiful and in the shape of a teapot.. Great!
Your plants are looking very healthy, so nice to hear from you again.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6806756

Thank you Terri for your comment! I haven't done any arrangements in a long time, perhaps since the wedding last December. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Oh, and that's a mini watering can I found at a discount store. But it does look like a teapot.

And wow, this cut flower forum has grown! There's so much beautiful work here, it's quite intimidating! Well I'm off to browse some more. And then, maybe do some housework later. Hope everyone is well.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6806932

Hi Karma - wonderful to hear from you - and I really like your arrangement too!! The bloodgrass is a perfect touch. I look forward to seeing more of your garden and arrangements. I love shopping at discount and thrift stores for potential vases too - they are the greatest places. I have a lot of housework to do too, but browsing is so much more fun LoL.

I am filling the gaping trench that was dug out to fix the sprinkler system - I am thankful that no major plants were destroyed. Just a bunch of Japanese anenomes, flag irises, bletilla, and naked lilies that will bounce back and refill the area. They got really close to having to dig up around the dahlias and tree peonies. Whew!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6808292

Karma, yes it has grown here, remember the days when there was like 16 posts in a whole week? and that was you and me... LOL! I'm still making rubbish arrangements and the odd good one lol! There's no need to feel intimidated, we are all learning, but mostly just enjoying ourselves playing with flowers.
Lovely to see your Hydrangea has got big, have you had more flowers in the garden this year?

Dianne, I'm going to make a white flower bed next year, Thanks to you!
Glad the Peonies and dahlias didn't have to come out.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #6808303

Zinnias...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6809359

Love the picture Karma, that is so cute. What are those pink leaves? I seen those before but can't place them.

Terri, love zinna's they are so bright and that vase is beautiful.

Bought a vase yesterday that is a big piece of bamboo, I suppose it will hold water. Got it a garage sale for $1.00.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6809431

Thanks Happgarden. Looking forward to seeing your new bamboo vase, sounds great!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6811036

Awe, thanks Dianne. Hope your garden recovers well. That would have been sad if you had to dig up the dahlias and the peonies.

Terri, your zinnias remind me of mine 2 summers ago. I always had some to make arrangements with. Don't know why I didn't grow more. I've toned down my buying this year, so not much more flowers. The thing about my flowers is that they don't bloom at the same time and I don't ever have enough of something to use for arrangements. I'm still doing them in pots unfortunately.

Thanks happgarden. I love bamboo and you got a great deal! Hope to see it soon.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6811208

I remember your Zinnias karma! Also Candee had some last year, so I wanted to try some this year. They do make a good cut flower, doing well 4 days on from cutting. The Knautia on the other hand are hopeless for cut flowers! The stems are so flimsy, just like sweet scabious! and they flopped after I cut them.
One flower to stay in the flower bed. for sure . lol.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6811264

Oh Karma... would you like a sunflower? We have a sunflower contest going on, raffle tickets are at the flowerpot cafe', remember the day we opened ? LOL. Now we have a rival cafe!
Here'a tip , number 6 is very good.. lol.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6811834

Happy birthday Dianne, guess I missed it! Karma nice to see you, looks like your blood grass is doing splendid.
I am a grandma again 8lbs.2oz. born on 7-9-09 - Colton, everyone is fine and they came home today from the hospital.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 13, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6812157

Great news Candee, Congrats!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6812278

Congrats on the new baby. How exciting...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6812281

My new attempt.
Think the grass is too tall now that I looked at the picture.
This is my bamboo flower holder. It is just a big piece of bambo that has the top opened up.

Thumbnail by happgarden

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
8:32 AM

Post #6813036

Hey Candee - no wonder you missed my birthday. You were busy being a new grandma. Colton and I will be celebrating same birthdays from now on LoL.
Terri - have fun with your new white flower bed. Lots of neat white plants. I had Casa Blanca at one time, but they died, remaining white flowers in my planter are white tree peony, white bletillia, white freesia, white dutch iris, white dahlia, and the peruvian lily - planted what I thought was the herbaceous peony Festiva maxima - but turned out to be pink, so for about two weeks, the color scheme is off.
Nice arrangement happgarden - is the grass a lemon grass?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6813273

The grass is just that big tall varigated grasss people are planting now, that you have to chop with a chain saw...LOL I cut the grass shorter and brought the vase to work. Lilies smell so strong I have to leave them out in the lobby, too strong for my office...wowzer...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6813589

Thanks everyone! Who better to share a birthday with than you Dianne.
happgarden, I really like that bamboo vase what a great idea and the arrangement looks great! I have that grass and several others, believe it or not I have one that is even worse to cut back and last year I ran a cut stub of it in my leg and it is scared to this day, that stuff is brutal when it comes to cutting.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6813979

OMG haighr, that is really scary thought! My grass isn't too large yet...but the person that gave it to me said he ties it with a rope and then cuts it back with a chain saw.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6814027

We tie ours with a rope and do the same and it is monstrous. We have about 7 to keep up with. The one that got me the best is a really giant miscanthus. The plumes are so thick that I cut them first with tree clippers individualy and then rope the leaves and cut from there. I had taken a step to pull the rope and my leg shifted and got punctured by one of the stubs of the plume and it was quite a nasty episode. Oh the scars of gardening. We cut ours back every March 5.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6814092

OK, this is getting scary, mine is about 4 months old...LOL, maybe I need to move it farther out or something...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 13, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6814124

Pretty arrangement Happgarden, lovely and airy and fresh! Thanks for joining in, nice bamboo vase too.

Candee, 8lb 2oz is quite a big baba!

Dianne, wish me luck with the white flower bed, I haven't got any white perennials yet! lol.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6814341

They get quite large happ - the one that got me is now about 6' diameter or better and at least 12-14' tall. Others that I have are equally as large and get bigger every year.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6814981

Oh my, I need to move that away from the rock wall. Thank you all so much for the compliments on the flower arrangement and telling me about the grasses.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6815143

Happgarden, pretty arrangement! It doesn't get better than lilies and hydrangeas! And that is one giant piece of bamboo. How did the water hold up? Terri, a white flowerbed sounds enchanting. Congrats to you Candee! What a nice size grandbaby. Mine was 8lb 3oz (3years ago I mean)!

Note to self: Do not plant monster grasses in the ground.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6815152

So far the bamboo is holding up fine. No weeping from the bottom or sides. The bamboo is huge but it is really cool inside. Tried to take a picture but couldn't get it to come out.

Love lilies, but to be honest I drive 45 minutes to work, thought I was going to get sick from the sweet sweet smell...LOL
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 13, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6815770

The scent of lilies can be a bit overpowering!
Karma, a white flower bed sounds good, BUT it's finding the right plants that will grow well for me! lol.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6819143

I had this patch of Black-eyed Susan for several years, and finally decided to thin it way back this spring so this clump is fairly small now. I think that this is Rudbeckia hirta.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6819199

Then, last year, I planted a yellow echinacea. And to my surprise, it looked a LOT like the black-eyed susan. But, I guess the rudbeckias and the echinaceas are closely related.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6819215

Here is a mixture of the two. Filled it in with a few croscosmia, reused the russian firecracker and leatherleaf fern from last week's arrangement, and added a few cast iron plant leaves.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6819522

That is beautiful. I forgot I was suppose to post pics of the plants the flowers came from.
Russian firecracker I have never heard of. Gonna have to look that up, is that the orange flower?
I was told by someone you couldn't put cut flowers in galvenized metal that they would die really fast? True/Not True?
I have what I call black eye susan that is all yellow, then in the mist of them there is a few flowers that have color on the petals toward the center.

Joyce
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6820070

Thanks, Joyce. The russian firecracker (Russelia equisetiformis) does have reddish orange small blooms at the tips - they are the two smallish feathery branches at the bottom of the arrangement. My July 9th posting shows some of the young stems of the plant of which I had trimmed all of the older stalks. The branches (up to 3 feet tall) have a nice arching shape to them and looks great draping over a planter. The taller orange flowers in the back are the crocosmia.

I have used this metal pail for many arrangements (as Terri already noticed) and never had any problems. I do have a taller galvanized pail that has rusted in the inside. But, I still use it anyway and the rusty red water doesn't seem to shorten the life of the flowers that I put in them. Here's that vase that I used earlier in the year for the alstromerias. And they lasted a whole week. I like the galvanized metal look. Maybe some flowers are more sensitive to it's effects (if any) than others???

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6820104

Ohh, I like both of those plants. Bet the hummers love the Russian one. Course I want an orange garden so I really like the other as well.

I love the look of galvanized metal so I won't worry anymore about it. I can't remember who told me that "wives tale" ...LOL it just stuck in my mind.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6823052

That is lovely Dianne, - you are so right the black eyed susan and ech look very much alike. The colors look great in the metal, I'll have to try some of my yellows in pewter.
The lilies are almost over and they smelled scrumptious, my house just had such a sweet scent when they were around.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6823580

Thanks, Candee. I planted a bunch of lilies many years ago - both Asiatics and Orientals, but they have all diminished and disappeared over the years. I am trying again this year and have some on order. Does your lilies multiply over the years?

Joyce - the crocosmia multiplies quite well here, so I will try to remember to save some corms for you come fall if you have not bought any yet.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6824423

Yes they multiply, but slowly and not all of them. Those giants have been the same grouping for the past several years with now new additions.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6825278

Soilsandup, I would gladly trade you lilies for crocosmia. I have several lilies which are new so I don't have many bulbs, but I have several others (an orange I really like) that I have spare bulbs.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 16, 2009
9:41 AM

Post #6825656

Gorgeous arrangement Dianne! so bright and colourful, lovely.
I've heard that about the buckets Joyce, wives tales get all over the world! but it's probably true, something to do with the metals!! I think they look great for arrangements.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6825820

Those wives really get around don't they...LOL
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 17, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6831296

LoL!

Crocosmia here is flowering.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 17, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6831301

I didn't pick many! it's making a nice display in the garden at the moment.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2009 7:10 PM

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6832045

Very nice Terri. Looks like we have similar buckets.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 17, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6832196

Thanks Dianne! I have 3 of those in a set and another 3 that are black. The black ones are stuck inside each other and I cannot budge them. Any ideas or wives tales how to get metal buckets apart? LoL!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6832565

Those black buckets would look great with pink or white flowers. I don't know of any sure way of getting them apart. Maybe if you can apply heat differentially to the buckets - expanding one slightly more than the other?? Whack it with a rubber mallet to jar it apart a little? WD40 to lubricate it just enough to twist it apart?? We have a guy in a machine shop here on campus that is really good at solving problems. Maybe you can take a photo of how they are nestled together?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 18, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6832943

Here they are Dianne, Thanks for the suggestions!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 18, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6832960

Before you say ... yes it's late here ... LOL!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 18, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6832964

Godetia and Carnations!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 18, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6832979

Here they are in the garden..

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #6833565

LoL Terri - I guess I am so used to being a mom and wanting everyone to have enough sleep and rest. I have to admit that last Sunday night, I got to bed around 2:30 AM too. We went to San Francisco to see a Joan Baez concert (Free, at a place called Stern Grove) and then went salsa dancing afterwards.

those are neat vases - it would be shame not to be able to get them apart and use them.

I love godetia - I am going to have to sow some seed again. Had some about 5 years ago. Yours look a little different with the tall main shoot and smaller lateral ones. I think the ones I had were just one shoot each. Neat that you can grow carnations too. I was never successful with that. That pink vase is perfect for the combo.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 18, 2009
9:49 AM

Post #6833788

hmmm - I wonder, if you fill the inside bucket with ice water & plunge the outside one in hot water they might come apart.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 18, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6834412

Thanks Dianne! Glad you enjoyed your late night out and happy to hear you are dancing again!
The Godetia were in a bucket outside for 5 days before I made those arrangements last night. I was quite shocked to see they had lasted so long and the buds are still opening. The crocosmia (picked at the same time) has died off completely. I'm going to try and collect some seeds from them.

Thanks for that suggestion dalfyre. I am going to defrost the freezer (ready for my veggies) lol.
I will try that method and see if it works. If not I've got Diannes list to try out too!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6838324

I have lots of Daylily leaves now, the flowers are so short lived but the leaves are flexible and last a long time.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6838340

Lily leaves, and a mixed bunch from the garden.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6839674

Lovely pictures all of you and beautiful plants.

I think in the back of my mind there is something toxic about heating up galv. stuff, I am not postive just seems like that, course I am the one who didn't think you could put flowers in them...

Can, you pick hardy hibiscus blooms and use those in a pot? I have the prettiest ones and they are huge! I have tropicals also that would be pretty. Never thought about it until I found you guys.

Don't have much blooming things that will keep right now. Lots of daylilies, hardy hibiscus, and some lilies. Just hard to cut the lilies right now. Probably Monday when reality sets in and I know I will be at work all week.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6839753

Joyce - that bit of info on heating up galvanized metal is a new one for me. Maybe something else will work for Terri so she won't have to try. No clue on the hardy hibiscus since I have never grown then. Anything is worth a try though.

Terri - neat use of the daylily leaves. That Russian vine of yours is so versatile. I just wish that it was not so big - I would seriously consider planting one. It seems to supply you with viney blossoms for a long time.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6839832

Dianne, I would of loved to see Joan, she use to be one of my favorite singers and then salsa all night. I miss dancing, DH isn't a dancer. Sounds like a great night.

Ask DH about it and he said welding can be deadly if you are not outside with good air movement. I looked on internet and only saw about welding.

Think I will cut some hibiscus blooms and see what happens. Seems like they are attached to the limb really close so guess I will cut a limb.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6840910

happgarden I have found that hibiscus make good floaters, just cut them short and put in a shallow bowl.
terri, how bout spraying them good with some cooking oil or WD40 if you have any and perhaps they will slide apart.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6844061

Thanks Happgarden, sounds like you've got some lovelies in your garden.
I won't be heating the buckets up then !!

Thanks Dianne, the Russian vine has gone crazy again and I've been chopping it back, so sorry if it's turning up everywhere in arrangements, lol but it does last a few days and is flexible as a cut flower. Whatever you do DONT plant one, you'll never get rid of it!!! It was growing all over next doors apple tree.

Candee, I do have some spay cooking oil, so will try that, Thanks!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6844920

Warning taken, Terri.

Here are some of what is blooming in my white planter. This Hymenocallis festalis grows very well vegetatively, but doe not send out very many blooms for a plant this size. This clump only has 5 blooms. A second clump only one so far, that maybe will send up others.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6844926

This white dahlia has seen better days. I have not divided it in years, and this small group has been snail-bitten. I will try to remember to dig up the tubers, divide and replant in the fall. It used to be a very strong and sturdy plant, full of flowers for months. I had to search for a few blooms that were vase worthy LoL

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6844934

My lone white gladiolus. I have slowly lost most of my glads to thrips.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6844950

And all of them in a vase. I added a few gardenias (they really contirbute to the fragrance of the bouquet), a couple of white chive blossoms (I think they are chives Terri - but I may be wrong). The leaves of the H. festalis makes good greenery. Also added a few leaves from the Japanese anenome.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6844958

A closeup of a few of the blooms. The H. festalis(aka Ismene) is supposed to be fragrant, but the smell on these are very subtle and light. You have to get close to it to smell it.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 21, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #6845449

hmmm - heating the outer galvanised bucket with hot water should be safe enough.
Galvanised iron is commonly used for roofing & fencing here & the sun heats it up with no ill effect - but I guess you can't get better ventilated than the great out doors :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6847636

This is a hardy hibiscus and the bloom is 8 inches across. The leaves on the plant are dark red.

Love the white flowers. I love white gardens and white arrangements. Just so elegant looking.

Hope I have everyones name correct.
Diane are you Soilsandup?
Terri are you terriculture?
I am so bad at names.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 4:22 PM

Thumbnail by happgarden

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2009
5:37 AM

Post #6854017

Hi Joyce - that is a lovely hibiscus. Red is my favorite color and that vase is gorgeous.

I had a really hard time with DG names and real names too.

So to recap some of the regulars here in this forum:
Soilsandup = Dianne (I work in the soils department, hence the "soils")
Terriculture = Terri
Haighr = Candee (is Haighr your last name?)
dalfyre = Teresa
Weed woman = Sue
Karma = Karma (is that your name name?)
Happgarden = Joyce
Blossom, Zany, Elle - I don't know them by any other name.
Sorry if I left anyone out - add yourself to the list!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6855762

LOL - is soilsandup you last name Dianne?
I have the hymenocallis as well and thought it is usually bloomed and finished by now, but still waiting. Your white arrangement is stunning, it is just picture perfect!
Nice hibiscus happgarden Joyce, I really like the way it looks in that vase such an unusual presentation, but quite lovely.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6875000

Hi Joyce! Gorgeous Hibiscus, wow, it's huge. Love the modern vase and layered leaf.
Terri !
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6876023

Mix match of a few of each, dahlia, lilies, echinacea, zinnia (one anyway).

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6876032

They came from here!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6876034

More colors

Thumbnail by haighr

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6881909

haighr, that is so pretty, love the different types of flowers.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6882026

Oh I missed this one! Beautiful mix there Candee, so nice and airy! Your flower beds look full and colourful too.

Hi Joyce!

I found this Begonia!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6882041

A vase of Crocosmia..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6882057

Crocosmia in the flowerbed.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6882513

Nice arrangement, Candee. What is the orangy flower in the back of the arrangement? I see that your lilies are still growing strong! And do I see some swamp hibiscus growing in the midst too?

Terri - my crocosmia is long gone. You have a really nice patch there. Is that a black millet? I grew one a couple of years ago, but it did not come back nor did I collect any seeds so it did not get a second chance in my yard. But I do like them because they are so dramatic.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 30, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6882707

I can't remember the name of the plant Dianne! It sounds like Penicillin , I remember thinking at the time I bought it.
It's getting quite big, and has some off shoots at the bottom of the plant. I thought it would grow a flower, LoL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 30, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6882768

I'm up late watching football! Hubby's team are playing the MLS All Stars in America. We are watching on the internet live from Salt Lake City Utah. It hasn't started yet.. lol, any excuse to stay up late eh?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 30, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6882873

GOAL!!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6883376

it's a Pennisetum glaucum. So penicillin is a good memory tool, Lol

the sad part is that it is considered somewhat a noxious weed and I can't get it to come back.

Game over yet?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 30, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6883445

Thanks for the plant name. The game just finished, the English team won! Goodnight..
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6884431

I don't know how you do it terri, I went to bed at 8:15 exhausted from doing nothing!
Dianne, I'll have to get an ID for you. It is a little lily looking thing that I got from Troy, a DGer a long time ago at the first RU we hosted. Thanks for reminding me to get the ID.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
6:02 AM

Post #6888256

Love those Crocosmia.
I am going to have to look up the zone.
I get to stay up late cause I am on vacation (or holiday) for another day. We went on a mini vacation to Oshkosh, Wi for a couple days then back home and playing in the garden.
I may have messed up. I thought the hardy hibiscus the other day was a gonner, but since have noticed in the yard they close at night and open back up the next morning. I am going to have to cut another one and see if they open back up the next day.

Not much blooming right now, hardy hibiscus, roses, and a few daylilies still blooming. Mums getting ready to open, I don't cut them back.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #6892796

Hi Happgarden - how nice for you to be able to go on a short holiday. I have never been to either Missouri or Wisconsin.

Candee - can that be a blackberry lily? I saw something on another forum that looked lit that - does the opening blooms look like a corkscrew>
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 1, 2009
9:55 AM

Post #6892992

Oh I am jealous of your trip to Oshkosh.
Would love to go the air show one day.
And it is not far from there to Saddlebrook Appaloosa's...
one of my other interests along with spotty dogs is spotty horses.
I like variegated plants too :)
Just have a need to see spots before my eyes.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6894236

Hi Joyce, Thanks! Good to hear you've been having a nice holiday.

Dalfyre, I found a spotty cup for ya, cheers!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6894245

The Zinnia came from here!

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 2, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #6896565

love it!!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2009
7:09 AM

Post #6896676

Question to you all, do you all have cutting gardens seperate from the "normal" gardens? I see in magazines where people make specific cutting gardens. I have lots of land but darn I would have to weed more if I did that.

What a bright pretty flower, Terri. Love the cup. I purchased zinna seeds but never got them started, now I wish I would of.

I agree with soilsand up, that is a blackberry lily, the leaves remind me of an iris, and the small flowers remind me of a small orchid. I have yellow ones, and one that is a pinkish color.

dalfrye, the air shows last all week and are amazing. The mass of humanity that comes into Oshkosh is also amazing, a small town except for 1 week out of the year...then for one weekend a year it is the busiest airport in the world. I have several friends who have beauiful horses. I love to look at them but darn they are big pets!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
7:51 AM

Post #6896691

Happgarden - I don't have lots of land, that is why I have to incorporate flowers that I use for cut flowers into the regular garden. I don't have the luxury of having a separate cutting garden. I tend to leave the flowers on the plant as long as I can, and just before they peak out, I would cut them for arrangements. Because I want flowers on a year round basis, I can't devote more than 2-3 plants of each kind. So, I don't have the large drifts of colors that you find in landscaping books, but at any one time, there are several spots of color in my garden.

I also bought several packs of zinnia seeds on sale (33 cents!), and sow one packet. I have about 6-7 seedlings now, and hope that they will mature enough to flower before it gets to cold. I guess I'll save the other pack for next year. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get some zinnias like Terri there.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6897265

You mean I am not the only one with packets of seeds waiting...LOL
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6899479

does the opening blooms look like a corkscrew> Yes Dianne so I guess you nailed it and now I remember that is what it is.
As for the separate cutting gardens - used to have one, now just use everything and then some!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6907932

Thanks dalfyre!
Joyce, I have a seperate cutting garden this year.My garden at home is quite small, and I didn't like to cut the flowers that often!!! one of the reasons I got my allotment was to grow flowers there for cutting. If you put loads of plants in the flower beds, there isn't room for many weeds LOL!
Thanks! glad you like the cup, I have a green spotty one too, they look like plantpots... (another good find)!

Dianne, I'm sure your seedlings will catch up in no time! Candee started the Zinnia craze last year, I love them now!
The stems are so sturdy and the flowers seem to last a very long time. I love all the vibrant colours they have too.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6909981

I do think that zinnias are the best friend of my arrangements, they can be reused long after the other flowers are finished and they come in all colors of the spectrum. Mine are actually starting to come more now.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6910205

Oh good you are starting to get more Candee!
More crocosmia with sunflowers..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6910216

Crocosmia

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6910236

Sunflower patch!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6910615

I love that watering can what a great idea for your sunnies. That is quite a patch there climbing to the sky. You will have Jack climbing yours next!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6910753

Thanks mate! I'm going out, enjoy your eveining!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6912796

Beautiful pics. You all are so creative when it comes to containers.
Here are my pics, cactus dahlias, candy lilies, Russian sage, and one rose.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6912815

Picture of dahlias

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6912816

candy lilies
Opps, I see a weed in there...LOL Don't look

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 10:17 PM

Thumbnail by happgarden

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #6913202

Weed? What weed? LoL. I really like the coloring of your dahlia against that maroonish vase. Nice composition, Happgarden. I am still waiting for my new dahlias to bloom. Tod over at the dahlia forum was kind enough to give out a box of dahlias for postage and I was lucky enough to receive a box. Planted them in May, and one is very close to blooming.

Terri - Nice job with the watering can and the "water" coming out of the spout. And, you are still making the most of your croscomia. I have let mines go to seed, and they say the seed pods make good arrangements, but I have never figured out how to incorporate it in.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6913560

Oh I wish I still had crocosmia, had it one year and it came back one time and that was it. I think it got choked out by the spiderwort.
Can't wait to see your dahlias there Dianne I have several in bloom and just love em.
Nice arrangement there happgarden, I really like the way it spreads in the back and the mix of color. I really like the addition of the blue as you don't often see that at least in any of mine, just don't seem to have much blue.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6913772

I am a little disappointed the candy iris (yellow flower) closed and I thought it would open this morning, but it didn't.

The colors are a little off in the pic, the Russian sage is purple, I really need a new camera, but hate to spend the money since this one works in the daytime just fine, just with flash it goes a little crazy.

These are the first blooms of my dahlias, they do seem to like it hot, they are planted against the west side of my house and once the temps get awful, they get happy. I read all this stuff about how to keep them, honest don't every throw any of them away no matter how dried up and dead they look. I threw one on the compost one year that was dried completely up, just to find it blooming at the end of summer. All I do is throw them in a netted bag and put them on the concrete floor in my garden room for the winter. I have collected several different types, but this is the first year of the cactus and I really like it.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6913814

Wish I had asked a long time ago, cause I put mine in grocery bags and when I get them out in the spring the ones that appear completely dried up and dead I toss in the firepit. Dang who knows how many I have lost over the years??? I will not do that again.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6913863

I know haighr I did the same thing! I was delighted and sick all at the same time. Never dreamed the bulb I threw out had an ounce of life left in it. Now I start them all in pots and I wait to see. Sometimes I will have one that doesn't come back but I would say the 99.999% of the time they come back.

The one thing I haven't been able to do even tho I found where they posted pics of it, is to divide them. I am never sure where to cut so I don't.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 6, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6914059

Pretty arrangement Joyce! I don't have any Dahlias, but enjoy seeing everyone else's! Lovely bird bath, that would make a wonderful container.. lol.

Thanks Dianne, maybe the pods will come in handy for Autumn arrangements? they could also be sprayed gold, Candee has a thread 'Going for Gold'
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6914222

Here is a link of splitting photos happgarden, I used to be afraid to separate them, but no more, it is pretty easy, just make sure each one has a little bit of stem attached.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg041343391520.html

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/garden_diary/garden_mini_project_september_1b_dahlia_overwinter.asp
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6915358

I got 9 new dahlias this year, and hopefully will be able to divide in two years. The dahlia forum on DG has an excellent step-by-step how to divide also. Terri - I have no gold spray paint, but will consider that. Then I can say I have the golden touch LoL

Now -on to one of my favorite summer flowers - Amaryllis belladonna (Naked Ladies). This patch is in full sun and blooms the earliest - started about 2 weeks ago.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6915375

Some people don't like the bare stems, so tend to plant them amongst other plants. This patch is surrounded by Japanese anemones and azaleas. I don't mind the plants either way. They are carefree plants that don't require any summer water, and multiplies like crazy, and provides green color during the winter months.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6915391

And they make wonderful cut flowers - with a nice subtle, delicate fragrance. They bring back childhood memories as they were grown in many homes as well as surviving in vacant lots. I had a shorter vase in mind when I cut the stems this morning, but ended up putting them into a large pyrex container that was one of my latest finds at work. The stems grows as tall as three feet, so I should have cut some a little longer.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 6, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6915481

Interesting the naked ladies don't have any leaves, so is that why they are called naked? LoL
Beautiful in the vase Dianne!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6915584

Thanks, Terri. The bulb leafs out in late fall, stays green over the winter, and then dies back in spring. The flowers shoot up in mid-summer. I got a bunch of bulbs from my neighbor across the street because she was selling her house in the spring years ago, and did not like all those dying leaves on the bulbs. So, she dug them all up, and planted more presentable flowering annuals. Dropped two big sacks of bulbs on my front door step. I plant some in sun, some in part sun/part shade, and some in all shade. This extends the bloom period for about a month. Here is a patch with morning sun/afternoon shade, and partially beneath the cherry tree.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6915598

I even planted some underneath the persimmon tree when the tree was younger - not realizing that they will be totally shaded out when the tree is full grown. But, even in this environment, you can see about 8-10 shoots coming out of the ground. The wooden fence pieces are needed to prop up the persimmon branches to keep them from breaking once the fruit starts to get bigger.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 6, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6915713

It's nice you have them popping up in different places to prolong the flowering , good idea!
I have Crocosmia in the garden at home, which is just starting to flower now! and yet, It's been floweiring at the lottie for weeks.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 7, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6916281

Noid Iris

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 7, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6916292

witch hazel

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 7, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6916299

And then together in a vase...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6916801

ooh - Teresa - I would be so thrilled if my witch hazel got to be anywhere near the size of yours. Mines is over 8 years old, and still a scrawny little thing. I bought it to provide flower for winter arrangement, but it is too small for me to even think about cutting anything off of it, except to shape it a little. How old is yours?

Nice pairing of the two. Any idea the variety of the iris? I am excited to see what is growing in your part of the world since it is winter for you now, I am always on the lookout for new, winter blooming plants. Is that handsome young man your son?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6916862

Beautiful naked ladies, I never thought about cutting them for a vase.
I have them and they do multiple nicely, I am surprised they are so expensive to buy.
Thank you all for the info on the dahlias. I have looked at the ones on DG, but I am just afraid I guess. The dahlias are just beginning to start blooming. I am excited to get to see some of them for the first time.

Love the iris and the witch hazel. The witch hazel is so unique and beautiful.

Beautiful everyone.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 8, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #6921757

I don't know how old the witch hazel is, it was here when I bought the house nearly 10 years ago.
I don't recall it flowering for the first few years & then all of a sudden it was - wow!
The boy in the pic is one of my nephews.
I was told I had a japanese iris but I am not sure if that is an accurate name for it.
It was also here when I bought the place & I rescued it from out the back when we landscaped, everything else was bull dozed, including a lovely pure white bearded iris that seemed to thrive on neglect.
It was dormant & I couldn't find it to dig out before the garden was leveled.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 9, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6926558

Beautiful arrangement dalfyre! Great textures and colour combinations.

I rescued my roses from the wind and rain last week!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 9, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6926561

and here they are in a vase!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 10, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6928109

and here it is with an added palm leaf (not from my garden) is that allowed here Dianne?? oops, I don't think so! lol.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #6928907

Well, once in a blue moon we'll make that exception. and I think the moon did look bluish LoL. or, if you show us how you did it, then that would be OK too. Really nifty effect, Terri.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6930729

I see those naked ladies in many yards around this area and never cared for the bare stems, but you you have given them new life with incorporating them in the foliage of others, now I am falling for them! Gotta get some bulbs now especially when I see yours cut!
And I am in awe of your witch hazel, what a great plant of interest, you gotta make some more arrangements with that stuff.
Nice one there terri, I made a colorful arrangement yesterday and used some of the iris leaves and stuck them throughout the arrangement. I'll bring it in as it is especially for you since I actually did one that shows the "back side"
Meantime, here is one of my dahlias in a pot that has gone crazy. I posted a new thread of "giants in the garden" if anyone is interested. We shall see the color in a few days.

Thumbnail by haighr

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 11, 2009
7:58 AM

Post #6933552

I am thinking the witch hazel might look good in an underwater arrangement...
but I don't want to cut the tree back too much :)
And if I don't hurry up it will be finished blooming till next winter.
But never mind there are more camellias just coming out & the roses are budding...
hope we don't get a hard frost to knock them back!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6934149

Oh I hope they don't get ruined in a final frost either!!!
Perhaps just one witch hazel with a camellia in a bowl?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 12, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #6937447

hmm that sounds interesting - I was thinking of floating a few camellias... I have a red one just out & my pretty white with pink edges.
There is a nice pink too but only the flowers at the top are open at the moment.
And the top is about 10ft high.
I did have a pretty pink blossom in my back garden this morning...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6941754

Ohhhhhhh, why does he look so forlorn? Didn't want a pic taken???
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6942680

Maybe he didn't like being called "Pink Blossom" LOL...what a sweetie.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6943946

Dalfyre - it is hard to think of needing a dog sweater for the critters here in CA - but I guess it is still cold where you are.

Instead of bringing a new arrangement to work this week, I added a few longer stemmed naked ladies, and added a few cycad leaves. The flowers from last week were still good - just had to go through the pinch off the spent blooms. Each stalk has about 10 buds, so as some dies, others open. They make great cut flowers Candee - you should give it a try.

The cycad that I have is getting huge - these leaves are about 4 ft tall.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6944185

So retty...love those leaves.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 14, 2009
9:25 AM

Post #6944843

my little blossom is a girl...
I don't think my Mum would have knitted a hot pink jumper for my male dal.
Although he wouldn't care about what the colour was.
Chita needs the extra warmth, she is 15 years old next month.
It has been really cold & wet here the last few days.
Our maximum today was 9C!
I think I jinxed things by claiming it was spring
My camellias are flowering nicely, I just haven't been out to pick any yet.
And my first daffodils have opened too.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6955140

Beautiful Dianne!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6958303

A vase of Nicotiana...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6958308

The flowers are growing below your sunflower Dianne!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6958336

I added some Zinnias..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6958341

The Zinnias are still getting buds.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6958355

Thanks, Happgarden and Terri.

Terri - is your nicotiana sticky? I had some once, but the stickiness made it not too pleasant to work with. And I also had a lot of aphids sticking onto mine. But yours don't seem to have that problem.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6958387

Hi Dianne, yes it is sticky and not easy, but it smells so nice in the house! I haven't had the aphids so far.
It was nice in a floating arrangement, that took care of the sticky problem..

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6958491

What a neat floating arrangement! That color on zinnia and your reddish nicotiana matches so well.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6958639

Thanks Dianne. I just picked a load of flowers. I'm going to stay with my Mum and Dad for a couple of weeks.
I've deadheaded and tidied up, I doubt any flowers will get picked while I'm gone.. lol. There should be Godetia seeds and others ready to collect when I get back., fingers crossed!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6958652

Sweet peas..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6958670

Rudebekia

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6958678

Snapdragons .

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6958690

Michalmas daisies..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6958702

Strawflowers..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6958713

Sunflowers..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6958721

Sunflower patch..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6958730

Godetia's in the flowerbed..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6958743

Rudebekia and Michaelmas daisies in the flowerbed..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6958761

Snapdragons..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6958771

Strawflowers

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6958784

Last but not least, sweetpeas!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6959117

Stunning just stunning. What beautiful gardens and flowers and bouquets. Beautiful!

We are having terrible storms...wind, 5+inches of rain from Saturday night to Sunday, then more rain today! Ground squishes under the feet...not good! Dahlias got beaten up...so sad.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 18, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6959183

bowl of camellias

Thumbnail by dalfyre

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6959321

Those are so delicate looking, love the shiny leaf. Do they smell?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 18, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #6959666

Thanks Joyce! Sorry about your Dahlias, hope the weather picks up for you and you can enjoy the rest of the summer.

Gorgeous Camellias dalfyre, so pretty. I don't have any, it's great to see yours!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6960722

Terri have a safe and happy journey to you folks. I bet they are thrilled to have you around a couple weeks. You can go and play in your mum's garden now and it will be all fresh and new. You did some real picking there before leaving. That floating arrangement is beautiful and all the other posies just look divine.
dalfyre, how long do those camellia last? Do they bloom all for a long time I mean?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6962251

Terri - wow - quite a variety and abundance you have there. Glad you were able to share with us before you left to visit your parents.

Dafyre - so unusual to see camellias in August - but they are in season for you now LoL
Candee - there are so many varieties of camellias - in arrangements, some last a few days, others fall apart really easily. But the bloom period on the shrub lasts a fairly long time since there are so many blossoms that as one fades, others open up.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 19, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6962579

Thank you Candee and Dianne, I'm already thinking about Mums vases and plants .. lol!
Enjoy your flowers everyone, Happy arranging!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6963364

Joyce -were your dahlias blooming when the storm came? Hope they bounce back for you. I have never planted any of the large dahlias before since I figure they are not the best for arrangements and you have to stake them. But, since I was given some this year, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. This is the first to bloom - Kevin Floodlight. At fully open, it is about 10 inches across.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6963380

Since the blooms are so big, I was not quite sure what to do with it. My first try was to put it in a vase with just one bloom, and try to balance it with some large leaves from a variegated ginger, Alpinia zerumbet

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6963387

Second try was to do what Teresa did with the camellias - put it in a bowl. I bought this bowl years ago when I was inspired to do some ikebana arrangements. I never got the hang of it, and never used the bowl, but I love the greenish glazing with a splash of maroon. Added some fronds of leatherleaf fern to the edges. I only picked the one flower this time. With the smaller blooms from the lateral shoots, I may be able to make an arrangement with multiple blooms. If anyone else out there has these large dahlias, I would love to see how you use them.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 19, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6963580

that big dahlia looks wonderful in the bowl - makes quite an impressive display!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6964166

Love the floating dahlia, very impressive with delicate fern leaf. Would of never thought to do that. Elegant.

Yes, my dahlias were in bloom. Kevin is one of my favorites. I love the big dinner plates, but I know alot of people think they are such an eye catcher they detrack from the rest of the flowers. My house is earth contact and the dahlias grow on the top of the berm next to the house. If the flowers aren't big they get lost. Trying to remember if it was Kevin and the giant white calla lilies I put together one time or mums and calla lilies, can't remember. I now have several different ones. I have a beautiful small red, another favorite.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6964209

Dianne, you need to get those over to the Arrangement theme - Big, bigger and biggest! They are both spectacular presentations. I have done something similar with mine in the past in the bowl.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028417/
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
6:41 AM

Post #6981989

Thanks, everyone. Joyce, if your dahlias recuperate, I would love to see what kinds you have.
Candee - since I only have one bloom, it won't qualify for the big, bigger biggest LoL. But I do like your arrangement on that thread - just lovely.

Here is another that is just big. It is a self seeded plant that started to grow in my strawberry patch and I did not have the heart to remove it - forgot the name of it. The original plants that were planted about 3 years ago were mostly 3 feet tall. This lone plant just got bigger and bigger.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 11:44 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
6:43 AM

Post #6981992

But, it provided just enough flowers to make one bouquet.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #6982301

Love the arrangement. So country farm home looking...those are beautiful sunflowers and a arrangement.

My dahlias are recooping. I have the white you have, bright red smaller one, a couple of cactus types (but have to look close to see the difference...LOL). Wish the red was as big as the white. I will have to post pics.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6983502

What a sunny delightful array Dianne. Neat vase as well just perfect for them.
Will be checking back to see the dahlias happ, the 7'+ one of mine is fab and need to post those photos soon.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6983703

Mine are no longer as tall as they should be (dahlias), because I either didn't have them tied tight enough or the winds were way to strong! Please pots pics. I would love to see them.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6984830

Here is a pick of the size of this thing.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6984836

Here is a pic of the color.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6984840

Another

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6984843

Well you asked LOL- last one I promise

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6984856

And now to the vase.

Thumbnail by haighr

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6985411

Spectacular, Candee. Do you know the names of the dahlias?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6985894

No sorry, I am really lax at keeping markers. Thanks, I do think they are quite the showing in the garden and they just keep blooming and blooming.
ffahelper
Brunswick, MO

August 25, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6986222

I have used large dahlia blossoms with thick stems in chancel arrangements for my church.. The hardest part is trying to make two arrangements look as much alike and balanced as possible considering that no two stems of flowers are ever the same. Sometimes the stems almost fill the oasis, but the arrangements always receive compliments.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6986269

Looks like a huge strawberry and vanilla sundea...LOL
My plants are short and fat...LOL, since the wind storm.
Beautiful...love all the pics. I am so glad you posted them.
ffahelper
Brunswick, MO

August 25, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6986339

Back to the earlier discussion of false sunflowers in arrangements--I used them successfully in arrangements this summer. The flowers remained fresh looking for up to a week in a vase. My plants were giants--6-7 ft. tall--and were standing well until the wind and heavy rain last week--the same one happgarden had. I cut them and the real sunflowers off yesterday because they had fallen over and were covering up other plants.

What is the secret to posting photos to this forum? I want to show you a dahlia I had last year.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6986826

No secret to posting ffahelper. Just like posting a photo to any other thread. Just go to browse and select the photo from your location that you want to post and click on preview or send.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2009
6:01 AM

Post #7011712

ffahelper - have you had the chance to try posting yet?

Here is one of my favorite summer flowers - tall, elegant, and fragrant!! Lilium philippinense - Philippine lily. These are taller (about 6-7 feet) than my normal ones which are about 4-5 feet tall.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2009
6:11 AM

Post #7011736

And here it is in a vase. Candee's perpendicular theme of big, bigger and biggest inspired this arrangement. Bottom layer - sunflowers, middle - Japanese anenomes, and towering over them is the L. philippinese. This is one time that you don't have to bend to smell the flower LoL.

Candee - I will be bringing this over to your thread since it fits the criteria.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #7012144

Looks like you and I both have those huge lilies Dianne. That looks fabulous!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7015768

Amazing, I never knew there was such a tall lily. How great!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #7015854

Candee, Happgarden - thanks. If anyone is interested in some seeds, I'll save some. I have about 4 plants that I am letting go to seed - not all are this tall. Depending on the environment, most are 3-4 feet tall. For some reason, I have those two plants growing in the planter that shot sky high. They are about 3 years old - I am assuming that the bulbs just gets bigger and bigger. A few that started from seeds flowered in the second year.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2009
5:30 AM

Post #7069422

Have been on vacation the last two weeks, on and off. With summer winding down, the types of flowering plants are changing. These includes later blooming dahlias, Japanese anenomes, zinnias, and of course, rudbeckias. My sister's plants were blooming in May. She dug up some little ones (two varieties) for me in July, and they are in full bloom now.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2009
5:37 AM

Post #7069434

And here they are in a vase. I added a few gallardia grandiflora, and aspidistra leaves. If these mother plants that I have growing now survive the winter, I should have blooms from them in May next year. And the seedlings that germinates next year will provide blooms later up until September. I have them growing in morning sun and light afternoon shade, but they seem to thrive in full sun and just morning sun.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 10:38 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #7069678

Now which came first Dianne the vase or the flowers, what a perfect combination!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #7070049

Beautiful pictures as usual. It has been really quiet for a while.

Love the rudbeckias, can someone explain why some have dark eyes and some don't? I noticed that in mine also.

I saw the Japanese anenomes in bloom for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I need some of those...LOL Fell in love with them. I need to get my garden blooming farther into the fall than it is.

Here is a picture of my reblooming iris. It is a mild butterscotch color. I picked the iris yesterday morning around 5am so I don't have a picture on the stalk. It was dark and I didn't think about it. Was more worried what critters were down on the ground and around...LOL

Thumbnail by happgarden

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7074007

Oh yummy colors and what a great vase of presentation, very oriental.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7074404

Thanks, Candee and Joyce. I got that vase in a thrift store several months ago, and really liked the coloring. I have used it for many yellow arrangements already.

Joyce - so reblooming irises do rebloom. Yours is lovely, and elegantly displayed. I bought three reblooming irises - one has since died, one has never bloomed, and the third bloomed this spring, and I am keeping my fingers crossed it will indeed rebloom.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #7074460

I've got fingers crossed for you Dianne, if you cross yours for me so I have warm weather to get my vigna to bloom?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #7076867

We have a reblooming iris that we planted in a center raised flower bed as you come in the city and theyhave bloomed the entire summer, honest it is the oddest thing. People have asked if they are fake. Just wait til they get big enough to divide...I am bringing some home. Payment for weeding...LOL

I have several reblooming iris and they almost always rebloom. I can't remember a year when they haven't bloomed. I have one called ice something pale bluish color, then this one, a white, and another and I can't think what color it is now and it is still dark outside. Oh yeah, a bright yellow, it always confuses people at work when I bring them in.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
7:01 AM

Post #7086572

Candee - crossed fingers spanning the US - that should bring good luck to all...
I will even throw in our predicted high of 100 degrees for the next two days LoL

Joyce - lucky you to have rebloomers.

So, with summer winding down, white gingers have been a part of my late summer/fall bloomers for the last 15 years. The leaves always looks stressed, but the blooms are reliable. I need to do a better job of staking them up.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
7:07 AM

Post #7086576

And here they are in a vase. The smell permeates the whole building - luckily, no one has minded the fragrance so far. I personally love the smell, but I know some floral scents give people headaches. As I stated last year, I don't like the way the spent blooms stick onto the floral head, but if you are good about picking off the wilty blooms. bouquet will stay nice looking for about 4 days. On the other hand, I have used that backdrop of sago palm leaves for over a month now - starting Aug. 13th. Time to throw them out - finally showing signs of browning.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #7086958

I've never seen the likes of white ginger Dianne, that is lovely and I can almost smell it over here.
The palms still look good from here, don't you love using and reusing the same for more than one arrangement.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7087537

Diane, I never get that many blooms on my butterfly ginger, I can just smell them. The backdrop with the palms is a great contrast. Beautiful!

Came home and have more iris in bloom, problem now is a thunderstorm is brewing and might tear them apart, hope not.

Went on a mini vacation and got another vase similar to the round one with the iris, but the new one is handmade from clay and the base looks like a small terra cotta saucer with a frog in it, then somehow glued to the top is a flat piece of clay, it is really cool. I will find something to stick in it and take a pic.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7090447

Thanks, Candee and Joyce.

Candee - that is one of the great things about the sago palm leaves - they do last forever. The down side is that they do have prickly edges. I have two of the sago palms - the one in front is getting too big, but I am not quite at the point that I want to chop it down just yet. It is fighting for space with the persimmon tree. The one in the backyard in this photo is still a manageable size.

Joyce - will be waiting to see your new vase.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #7091548

Love the lilies, they are just beautiful. Mine are in shade and lean toward the sun, I need to move them, but since I have things to plant I had better leave them for a while longer.
The great thing about sago palm leaves are that it means you live somewhere with warm weather...LOL
Last night I took a picture of the dahlias and right as I got ready to pick, the wind came up and the rain came down! My poor dahlias have been thru the ringer.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #7092276

Rain is a rarity here in the summer, but we did get a sprinkling about a week ago. Predicted high today of nearly 100 degrees F. Hard to believe that today is the end of summer, and the beginning of fall. I hope you had the chance to actually pick a few dahlias before it poured!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7092314

No I no more got the click from the camera and it started pouring! We can't seem to have gentle rains. Most things are doing ok, but the dahlias are a big blob after being beat down from high winds and lots of water, but some looked really good last night. I hope they made it last night! Want to show you all my new vase.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7092872

Hope you have some dahlias to put in tha new vase Joyce. Hope the rain did not ruin them all.
Watch out for those prickly edges Dianne. I know there are several that I reuse, the zinnias and some of the leaves of the grasses and of course the caladiums.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #7095010

Diane, I have a bud forming on my lions tail, if I can hold the frost off for awhile (high 40's last night) I might actually get to see it bloom!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
7:27 AM

Post #7125994

Joyce - hope your lion's tail is blooming. Wouldn't it be neat for you to end this series with the photo of the same plant that I started it with????

Once you do that, come on over to the Fall 2009 yard to vase!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1044158/

I do have a bit of sad news - when I came to work one day last week, with the intention of finally throwing out the old sago palm leaves, the whole vase is gone!!! I have lost several vases throughout the years since I put the flowers in a public area. But, I keep hoping that people will respect my vases and leave them be...it probably was someone who was coming to the building for a meeting, and not a regular occupant of the building. Maybe they pricked themselves on the sago palm leaves - wouldn't that be poetic justice, Candee?? That is the biggest glass cylindrical vase that I rescued from an old lab.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
11:35 AM

Post #7126177

Now that is just rotten Dianne, I just don't know how some people look at themselves in the mirror or go to sleep at night. To steal something like that is just despicable I hope they not only got pricked but in the process dropped that precious steal of theirs and cut their foot on the broken pieces!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7127504

The buds on the lions tail are getting bigger and temps are getting smaller low 40's. Waiting and waiting for blooms on the lions tail...they are so tall. Winds today are gust up to 50 mph so I hope they are still standing when I get home! Since I had never grown them they are in 3 different spots...but if they don't mature soon we will have frost. So I am waiting with bated breath...LOL

People will never cease to amaze me be it good or bad. And really amaze me on what they will take or throw away! It is hard to find vases that really work, don't know who designs vases but I am guessing someone who doesn't use them...LOL Sorry you have been "touched" by a jerk!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7127738

Candee and Joyce - I started taking inventory of the vases that I have in the cabinets yesterday, and discovered that several others are missing. In those cases, it is probably someone who is housed in our building. That makes it even sadder.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #7134535

Oh I hope your lions tails survive and you get some photos, never seen then so really looking forward to it.
Dianne, I tell you just can't get over some folks, what joy could they possibly get from taking something from another?
Perhaps you should put a note with the next one that says something like I hope whoever is stealing my vases and arrangements finds joy in knowing that many are deprived of the beauty that I have created thanks to your greediness!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America