Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Strawbale Gardening: Darn wind uprooted my tomato plants

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6724582

I lost already one plant to the darn wind, and the other was doing really good, it had two maters the size of plums on it. This weekend we had the 40+ miles an hour winds and I noticed my other plant was laying on its side. I quickly put a brick up against it to hold it in place, other than that I am at a loss on how to keep it from dying... Can I pull it out of the bale, its only a food tall, and stick it back in deeper? what will happen to the two green maters on it? (actually I could make fried green maters, so if I should pick them that is not a problem)

Thanks in advance...
MJ
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6725061

MJ here is the man to ask...LOL

Sheriff Kent

Thumbnail by tubbytee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lulie
Northeast, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6726882

Until Kent gets here...I have read many posts about tomatoes and other people have said that you can clip off a stem on a tomato plant, stick it in dirt and it should sprout roots. You can also stick a plant in dirt up to it's first leaf then those little fuzzy things on the stem will grow into roots.
Lulie
Northeast, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6726895

I hope I got that all right :). I am just a newbie. We had one last year that lost all of the leaves off of the main stem. We could have pulled it out but wanted to see what would happen. It re-grew all new stems and produced tomatoes!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6727430

Oh sherrif Kent, where are you...
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

June 25, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6735284

tubby: LOVE the Sheriff!!! Looks like me!! LOL

MJ: won't hurt to replant the tomato; nothing to lose; tomatoes will sprout roots from any portion of the stem that is in the bales; more the merrier. Sorry to hear about all the wind, etc. Every area seems to have its own issues, for sure.

I'm working afternnoon/evening shifts this week, so time online is sporadic.

BTW, you can take cuttings of tomatoes and continue growing.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 12:21 AM
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6737334

Well then that is what I will do tonight, dig a bigger deeper hole,put mater in there and put some soil to help it along... Thanks Kent and see you all in about 2 weeks, I will be on vacation with no internet...
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

June 26, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6740169

Miss J: we'll keep the porch light on for you until you get back!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America