Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June! Part 4

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 161, Views: 1,069
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #6726513

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1002809/

Everyone is welcome!

Marylyn We got some rain too last night! We didnt cool off after, just felt like a steam bath after. Thats a creepy looking fruit! Houston was also known for rice farms before becoming cityfied.
Se_eds 80s would feel like a cold wave here LOL!
Pepper- LOL cute kitty!

75.2 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 69 F
Wind: 3.8 mph from the SW
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph
Pressure: 29.68 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4400 ft
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 90. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

A storm moved through about 8:30 last night and steamed us a little. People are starting to mow their lawns around 8-9pm or 7-8am.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6726832

Good morning!

It's raining and fairly calm ... temperature was 46F at 12 noon according to the weather service ... it just keeps getting colder! lol I'm not complaining though ... the rain is just what the plants needed.

Sharon - beautiful sunset :-)

Sally - lucky the tornadoes didn't come close!

Marylyn - I've seen that fruit before ... no idea what it's called though!

Marsue - pretty beebalm and your heart shaped flower bed is very pretty :-) Yes one can always hope ;-) lol I'm just hoping summer will return soon! lol I'm not asking for much ... just some high 50's - low 60's would be nice!

Kiska - wow that would be pretty unnerving! Lots of activity there yesterday! Has is calmed down or are things stilly "shaky"?

Celia - I don't know anyone here who doesn't love the daylight during summer ... I think if you'd experience it you'd love it too! :-) It really is pretty cool ;-) lol Right Kiska? Blinders for the windows keep the daylight out of the bedroom ... the only problem is getting to bed ... you tend to loose track of time when it's bright out all the time ;-) lol

Wish you all a great day! If I could I'd blow a cool breeze down your way ... :-)

Another midnight sunset two years ago ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 23, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6726935

This is inside of veggie barn. New floor going in.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 23, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6726943

This is the flower garden I cleaned up & remulched Sunday.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 23, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6726948

Tomatoes are growing fast!
This is year 9 for tomatoes in this house.
Well back to washing veggies.
Bernie

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6727005

Marylyn that fruits is overripe Rambutan.
It comes from the Nephelium lappaceum.
It should be Red or Yellow depending on the variety.
I got some from a local market here in their Central American section as Mamn Chino.

Cool, relatively, last night.
I actually grabbed a blanket.
73 now but heading for 90.
Off to plant late crop potatos.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6727493

Too much to catch up on. We're leaving for OR this afternoon and I need to pack.

64.8 F with 83 for the high.
Clear
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Two-headed coreopsis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6727939

HEY YOU CAN SEND US SOME RAIN ANYTIME NOW!!! hahaha It is HOT HOT HOT today & our temps are not going to be below 100 for the rest of the week.. UGH. I tend to hibernate as soon as 11 am hits as it gets way ttoo hot for me. I lather on the sunscreen but noticed I still got burned!!! So Ric, send me some o that ice cream! hahaha Bernie, you can give me 70's temps anytime. Oh & Marylyn, that's not fair that you are getting rain & I'm not! hahahaha
However, I did see my first large butterfly this mornign while watering the garden, I am THRILLED!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6728075

It's HOT, HOT, HOT, here, too, Cindy. The Weather Channel is saying it's 97F right now but the thermometer on my back porch (which is in the shade) says it is 100F right now! Even my little dog doesn't like going outside any longer than he needs to.
Celia: have a great time in Oregon!
Marylyn: that's the wierdest looking fruit I have ever seen.
Ric: thanks for the ID on that fruit--that's very interesting.
Bernie: neat veggie barn; pretty flower bed; I love fresh tomatoes!
Rann and Sharon: nice sunset pics
Rann: Send some of those cooler temps over here! LOL
Sharon: I don't think it would be a good idea for you to send the lantana this week-end. It would probably die during transit in this heat. Just hold off--you can send me something when it cools off somewhat. Thanks, anyway. So sorry the ajuga didn't make it. We can try again in the fall, perhaps.

LOCAL WEATHER ALERT for Cabot, AR (72023)

Heat Advisory for Lonoke County, AR
until 7 pm CDT, Tue., Jun. 23, 2009
Prepare for Extreme Heat
Issued by The National Weather Service
Little Rock, AR
12:03 pm CDT, Tue., Jun. 23, 2009

... HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LITTLE ROCK HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING.

THE COMBINATION OF AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN THE MID AND UPPER 90S... ALONG WITH HIGH HUMIDITY VALUES... WILL PRODUCE DANGEROUS HEAT INDICES THIS AFTERNOON. HEAT INDEX VALUES BETWEEN 105 AND 110 DEGREES WILL BE COMMON ALONG THE ARKANSAS RIVER VALLEY... AS WELL AS PARTS OF EAST CENTRAL ARKANSAS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

Ric: I think you had asked (or maybe it was EB) if the Minnie Pearl Phlox bloomed all summer. Judge for yourself. . .that's it in the center front

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 23, 2009 1:13 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 23, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6728206

Thanks for the new thread, MySharona. The photo is so pretty.
45* the rain has let up.
Luckily we had summer for May and most of June; think it's one to be grateful for. There'd been a few days of up to the low 70's, but mostly in the 60's.
Except for container plants, it's rained enough not to have to water. We have no water hoses for yard or flowers, but keep one hooked up in case of fire.
The earthquakes continue.
4.1 at about 6:30 this morning was the latest.
The never-ending daylight is just as rann says; it's wonderful. Dinner time, play/sleep; all schedules are left behind.
Nice catching up; again, too far behind.

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6728227

Thanks, Ric! :-)

Cindy, it rained for about half an hour, and then the sky cleared back up. I need to go refill the bird bath today - all of the water evaporated already.

Today is the little bunny's birthday. Katie is 6! I asked her what she wanted for her birthday and she thought for a moment and said "pink cupcakes and a red present!" Ok, I can do that... LOL

Here are both bunnies after a hair cut last week...

Oh, yeah, and it's hot and dry again. No surprise there. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6728274

86 (Heat Index 87) Dewpoint: 63 Wind: N 9 MPH Humidity: 46%

Not too bad out there.
The Sun just hit the bed as we finished the 'taters.
Now it's hitting me on the deck.

The new project is coming along fine.
It's design on the fly... lol!
Putting stuff away now.
Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 23, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6728305

Have a safe trip , Celia! Great pics!
Sharon, thanks for the new thread! Hooray for the rain! I might need to borrow some of your hibiscus pics for a new article about hibiscus, they are awesome!
Mau , the garden looks great, doesn't look like you have such high temps!
Bernie, the tomatos are looking great! I just learned how to take care of them, it's my first year when I'm growing them as they should and they are already rippening here too, yiippeee!
Ric, the pics are great, love the white kitty, so sweet!
Kelli, amasing, your story is so similar to mine!
Rann, what is that about the ice mass?
Marylyn, great pics! Great you had some rain.
Sally, thank God the storm didn't make too much damage!
Mau, look I had some boys playing with the hose!LOL
We had a terrible storm yesterday and it rained a lot. Today it's warm again.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 23, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6728316

I took this while it was raining.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6728487

Marylyn, those are interesting picture of Korea.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 23, 2009
77 F
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 7 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.78 in (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

from the other day - yellow mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6728707

Have a great trip, Celia! We'll miss you!! :-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6728745

Okay...the house is clean, I'm all packed (except for the stuff I forgot), said goodbye to select neighbors who're going to help keep an eye on things and, now, I'm waiting for my ride.

Thanks, everybody! Going to be fun! I've made plans to meet with another DGer in OR. We're going to go to the Oregon Gardens and visit hers. Yippee!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6728778

Celia - have a great trip! :-)

Marylyn - Happy Birthday to Katie! :-) 6 is such a big leap ... at least Hildur Eva feels she's very much grown up now that's she's 6 ;-) lol

Adina - I'm sorry I'm not following ... what ice mass?

The sun is out so there's actually a chance of a midnight video tonight (10 pm now) :-) Keeping my fingers crossed!

Rann

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6728944

Kiska: hope the earthquakes stop soon!
Marylyn: the bunnies look so cute with their summer haircuts! Happy 6th Birthday to Katie! They grow up in a hurry, don't they?
Ric: 86F with 46% humidity sounds great to me! Send it down here! LOL
Adina: Yes, I think the "boys" in your photos are somewhat older than the ones in my photos--LOL I surely did want to step right into that photo of your rain!
Kelli: that's a pretty yellow lily
Celia: take lots of photos to share with us!

Oh, I see a rain cloud in the west--sure hope it makes it over to my house! I had a friend call me and tell me they had a rain shower where she was today which is about 20 miles south of me. Maybe there is hope! Today has been our hottest day so far--exceptionally hot even for June in Arkansas. It's still hot--94F at 5:30 p.m.

Rio Samba

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6729065

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1006464/

????????

Dyson
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6729473

Well, I find I hate IE8. I hit the browse button to post a pic, my screen flashed and I lost my post. Too bad no other browsers work on my comp.

Ok, it's hot and humid with no breeze. Excessive heat warnings out for much of the midwest.

Not posting a pic. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6730144

Adina that's SOME rain!

Celia have a GREAT Trip!

Mau we had that over the weekend.
Stay hydrated!

Hot and Dry here today.
Maybe 87 tops.
The new project is going well.
Tomorrow 'may' see it done...lol!

Definitely going to be watering.
The dry air and breeze have really parched the containers.
Great for us though! Seems all our weather is coming from the North.
Around 90 day/65 nights.
We had to take the saucers out from underneath them because we've had so MUCH rain.
Now it's Summer mode. The saucers are going back under.

Planted 5 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes today.
Late planted for storage.

Anyone recognize this?
About 3' tall.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #6730424

We got watered about a " during noon hour. A nice thunderstorm. I like it when the man above waters on schedule. It was 92 & 5 minutes later it was 78. 71 now. Supposed to stay decent the rest f the week.
Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #6730960

Good morning!

Mostly cloudy this morning, supposed to be dry today according to the forecast ... might even see some sun :-) Around 46F at the moment ... could see a high around 50F today. The lowest recorded temperature in the country last night was 34F.

Hildur Eva is going on a camping trip with her preschool today, they'll be back around noon tomorrow. They won't be going far, just up to the lake just outside of town we often visit. They will be sleeping in tents so that's very exciting for them. I think I'll miss her terribly! lol In case anyone's interested how to pack when camping in Iceland, this is among the things we packed for her: soft wool pajamas, snowsuit (she thought that was very funny!), mittens, wool socks, warm hat, rain suit and rain boots, fleece jacket and pants. As you can see from last night's low it can get pretty cold at night! And it isn't particularily warm during the day either ;-) lol

Mau - did you get some rain? Rio Samba is gorgeous :-)

Ric - sorry I have no idea what that is .. .hopefully someone will recongnize it.

The girls at the lake last summer, they'll be camping close to the cabin on the other side of the lake.

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #6730972

Rusty Good to hear from you!
Bernie The tomatoes are looking good!
Celia Have fun in Oregon!
Cindy Break out those fans! Too hot! Stay safe in that heat.
Mau Ok. Let me know what plant you want and Ill get cuttings started. This heat is a bear! Your gardens have filled out beautifully!
Kiksa Your area sure has been active this year. A volcano and earthquakes. How is Mt. Redoubt doing?
Marylyn The girls are growing up! Look how big they are LOL!
Adina- You got it! The grass looks good! This is the way we water the grass LOL!
Celia Pretty rose! I would have been packed 3 days ago! I can be so OC about some things LOL!
Kelli Love that mariposa lily!
Mau Rio Samba!
Pepper I love IE8! Esp the part where you can go in private at work LOL!
Ric Yes, but I cant remember the name. Sure is pretty!
Bernie I like it when the big guy waters on schedule here too!
Rann- Hildur Eva is going to have so much fun, but I bet she is going to miss you as much as you will miss her!

75.6 F
Clear
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.77 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F
Visibility: 6.0 miles
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 90. Light winds becoming east 10 to 15 mph.

I had to move some of my sun annuals yesterday. They are cooking!

Ric - I found a beached whale too!

Thumbnail by MySharona

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #6731102

Catching up again. June is beginning to sound like Goldilocks and the three bears. It's too hot, too cold and not very many just right days. The Farmers Almanac said the Midwest would be hotter this year.

Rain and wind again last night. We have had rain Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. Over an inch most of the time. I don't know where we're putting all of it. Funnels were spotted north and east of us in the next towns over. We had wind, but no branches down. I still need to mow.

It was 67 when I got up at 5:00 am. The rain guage is condensed over so I can't read it with binoculars. It's a bit less than an inch I think. Another hot day coming.

Thanks for the new thread Sharon. I missed the post on the last page in my haste. I usually look for it. That's a beautiful golden sunset!

Rann, another beautiful sunset!

Bernie, nice floor going in! I have 4 bags of mulch from last year stacked in the garden. DH keeps asking if I'm going to use it. Well of course I am! As soon as I get a bed finished so I can lay it down. Nice rock garden! Gorgeous tomato plants!!!

Ric, I watched a show that said more fruits and vegetables are being sold at specialty spots in markets. Pretty cool, but you can't beat watermelon!!!

~ ~ Have a great time Celia!! Twice the pretty for the coreopsis! What a gorgeous rose!!

Cindylove. I just turned the fan on and it's pointed south. Hope to blow our rain out of here!

Mau, nice flowerbed. I love the sun hitting the coneflowers. The phlox and gaura make it look cool. A beautiful rose!

Kiska, interesting sign. Is there a story to it? Glad the earthquakes aren't a danger to you!

Marylyn, A big Happy Birthday to Baby bunny Katie! I love the pink and red request. Two sweeties!! I love their haircuts!

Ric, taters sound so good. Ours, I planted Norland this year, are looking good.

Adina, no one is too old to play in the water. I waded in the ditch water yesterdday LOL! I hope your rain soaked in fast! That's wet, but sure mops the floor nice!

Kelli, love the detail on the inside of the lily. Beautiful! And you have a bee, yaaayyy!!

Dyson, I've never seen that happen, but it was a good one!

Ric, sage or hyssop?

Bernie, the man is delivering too much rain to us. I think someone wrote down the wrong address.

Rann, a camping trip! It is funny to pack all that, but what a great experience for her! 34 , I'm not ready for that even if it is hot! The lake looks very inviting! The cabins too!

Sharon, LOL on the second beached whale!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6731362

Already 75 at 9 AM. Going for 92 .
Calling for 95 by Saturday. But still those cooler nights... I can seriously handle that! lol!

Rann I hope Hildur Eva has a GREAT time!
LOL at the gear.
That's Late FallWinter gear here!

Sharon as the temps climb the Beached Whales will appear more frequently I think.

It's definitely a Sage/Salvia.
Definitely not Salvia azurea but close.

A close up. Lower lip not elongated. Top (central lip) is notched and forms a spur.
The bloom is about 1/3" wide.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6731696

Sharon - thanks :-) Maybe she'll miss me little bit, but I think she'll be having too much fun to miss us much. Selma's a bit lonely without her sister today ...

We got a list from the school of what to pack ... Hildur Eva couldn't get over the fact that she was supposed to pack her snowsuit ... we'd put those away for the summer! lol There were also shorts on the list ... I'm pretty sure the shorts won't be used, but she'll definately be wearing the snowsuit tonight to keep warm! lol They'll sit outside singing songs before they go to sleep, I doubt they'll have a campfire, not sure they're allowed there ... so I think the snowsuits are actually a pretty good idea. They'll probably be nice and toasty before they crawl in the sleeping bags that way ;-)

Ric and Sharon - LOL at the beached whales! lol

Here's another photo from the lake last summer (sorry if I'm repeating myself). Neither the rose nor any of the trees are natural vegetation ... they're all planted. The rose club has a "wild rose garden" in the southward facing slope ... that's some rugosa rose in the foreground. The "forest soceity" of my town has planted all the trees around the lake ... I think all "forests" in Iceland (except maybe one or two) are man made.

The Icelandic sagas say that when the first settlers arrived here there were trees (birch) growing from the coast up to the mountains ... I find that pretty hard to believe ... but if it's true all the trees were chopped down to build houses/boats and for firewood a very long time ago. The sheep that the settlers brought with them made sure no trees grew back! lol And for centuries people believed that trees could not be grown here. When I was growing up there were no "forests" just thickets of natural birch trees that didn't grow taller than 3 - 5 feet at the most. So we had this saying: "If you get lost in the forest, just stand up to find your way!" lol For the past 50 - 60 years there's been a great effort to grow some new forests around the country. Now there are actually a few areas with a gathering of trees tall enough to be called a forest ... no one's big enough to get lost in longer than for about 5-10 min though. lol

The sun is out ... feels warmer while it is shining ...cools considerably when the clouds move in. One of these off and on kind of days.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 24, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6731713

38*F this morning~and,
there's ice on the deck~rained last night and now there's a thin layer of clear/black ice and thicker ice on the rain drops.
Adina~what a heavy rainfall you had. The boys looked like they were loving it.
Have a great time in Oregon, marsue.
kelli~love the pretty, bright flower.
Marylyn~ pink cupcakes and a red present sounds like Katie knows her mind~happy birthday to her. Cute pic of the bunnies.
Dyson~what a strange veggie.
ric~the blossom looks a bit like lupine to me.
rann~the overnight camping trip will bring wonderful memories for her. Sounds like a great time. Interesting about the trees; the dwarf birch grow north of Palmer; cute little trees:))
MySharona~love your beached whale~Redoubt continues to simmer.
pepper~the weather there certainly is never boring~
The sign posted earlier is at the Eklutna Native Village near Palmer. I'd gone to visit the Russian Orthodox Church and Native cemetary a few days ago.
Ice on the deck this morning.
The black ice doesn't show up,well, but there's a thin, bumpy layer on the deck and railing.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 24, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6731730

The Russian Orthodox chuch at the nearby Native Village of Eklutna.
The gravesites are covered w/Spirit Houses built by the the family of the deceased. They are built 40 days after the burial using family colors/clan colors. Personal belongings are place inside.

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 24, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6733423

Kiska,the Russians have similar customs to us. We also have Spirit houses.
Rann, it was about "the ICESAVE mess "...I didn't remember well,sorry!
Ric, our field is full of those sage. I have to take a picture
Sorry I won't comment about all posts, I hope to cattch up with all tomorrow, I have a day off. Last night it rained again and I managed to take some pics of the lightnings.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6734828

Hot but not quite as humid today. Storms last night and tonight.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6735213

92 here today.
But we managed to get the containers watered, saucers replaced and some drip hose in.
And just about have the new deck Canopy finished.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #6735690

Sally Send that extra rain to the South!
Rann- Let us know how Hildur Eva did last night! Thats interesting about the trees. I had no idea.
Kiska- A little too early for ice, huh? The Spirit Houses are so bright and colorful.
Adina Great pic of the lightening!

76.8 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 29.86 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 79 F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 93. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

It's so hot my roses are sweating LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6736942

46*F ~ low clouds but some blue sky in places.
I'll be gone a few days ~ today our 8 and 9 year old grandkids are flying up, alone, to spend 10 days w/us and "the cousins", as my gdaughter says.
Adina~great pic~interesting to learn of the customs there, too.
ric~looks so nice there; beautiful job.
MySharona~poor little rose:)

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6736952

My 6'3" grandson w/rhubarb.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6737383

Well I see the rhubarb Kiska...lol!

86 (Heat Index 93) and we're getting popup showers.
Just enough to start moving inside then...

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6737479

Hi everyone!

It's been cloudy today, it rained for a while this afternoon, fairly calm and about 53F.

Hildur Eva had a great time on the camping trip ... her teacher said that she and her friend wanted to stay another night! lol She said she slept well in the tent ... but when she got home she fell asleep and slept for almost 2 hours so she was pretty exhausted! lol

Today is my and DH's anniversary - we've been married 15 years if you can belive that! How time flies. We're going out to dinner tonight :-)

Kiska - love all your photos :-)

Ric- I love how your project is turning out!

Sharon - pretty rose :-)

Adina - interesting about the spirit houses over there too :-)

Hope you're all having a great day!

Last night was a beautiful sunset ... I haven't downloaded the photos and video yet ... I'll do it as soon as I can! :-)

Rann
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6737516

Happy Anniversary, Rann!!! :-)

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6737636

Hot Dry & Hot taking a short break from watering the veggie garden & it is HOT
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6737902

It seems hotter than this.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on June 25, 2009
72 F
Clear
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 55 F
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

some hiking pictures - scarlet larkspur - This is one of the last showy flowers of the year

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6737913

chicory - The same as you guys have. It isn't very common here.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6737915

Plummer's mariposa lily - another of the last of the showy flowers
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6737918

we'll try that again

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6738007

Beautiful, Kelli. Chicory blue is my favorite color.

Have fun with the grandkids, Kiska!!! Wow, that rhubarb is huge!

Your deck is looking GREAT, Ric!!

Our weather is a ditto again... We didn't get any rain yesterday. Maybe that elusive 20% will find us today. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (10 min ago)
Temperature 101 F 38 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 35%
Pressure 29.82 in 1009.8 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 109 F 43 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 81.0F / 27.2C

Right Now Issued 1:00pm CDT -- Thu, Jun 25, 2009
Through 5 pm, isolated to widely scattered showers and thunderstorms will continue to develop across southeast Texas. Rainfall amounts will average under 1/4 inch with isolated 1/2 to 1 inch amounts possible with the stronger or slower moving storms. Those lucky enough to receive rain will cool into the 80s. Elsewhere, expect high temperatures in the upper 90s to lower 100s with dangerously high heat index values in a 105 to 110 range.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6738014

Humidity of 35%? You must be dried out like a mummy. ;-) When I was a kid, I thought chicories were the coolest color.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 25, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6738063

This June is very humid here...it rained again ! I took a few shots of the lightnings again.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 25, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6738067

Another...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 25, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6738075

And the last one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 25, 2009

Post #6738109

The field today.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6738160

LOL Kelli! Yeah, we're hotter AND drier than you! That doesn't happen very often.

Those are very cool shots, Adina!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 25, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6738247

Rann, Happy Anniversay!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 25, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6738258

Hibiscus.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6738687

Kiska Im glad your GS is so tall, otherwise we wouldnt see him! Is rhubarb tasty at that size? And do you use the leafy part?
Rann- Happy Anniversary! LOL at Hildur Eva! I bet she stayed up later that normal! Looking forward to the pictures and the video.
Dyson So is it hot? And what are you going to do with your squacumber?
Kelli The chicory is my fav too
Marylyn We are amazing dry today too. I dont mind the heat so much without the humidity. Thats why I liked living In Dhahran.
Adina What setting did you use for the lightening pics? They are awesome! You should enter in the contest this year. Your flowers are popping!

84.9 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 62 F
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 86 F
Clouds: Few 4600 ft
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Low 74. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

I got my hair done today so I can't go outside and sweat LOL! That is a reasonable excuse!

Rann - This is for you! I had 3 blooms this morning! This is the only picture that turned out. Happy Anniversary!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6738763

So.. is anyone else besides me, Marylyn, Marsue, Kwanjin and Music2keep on facebook?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6739286

Adina lightning shots are VERY rare and hard to get.
EXCELLENT job!!
And that's one flashy Zinnia too!

Rann Happy Anniversary!

Kelli the pictures just keep getting better and the blooms more colorful.
The last shout out?

The weather got REAL weird here.
It spit a few drops every few hours then about 4 PM we got a nice 1/4" of rain.
Then Sun... usually this means HOT and HUMID!!!
Instead the temps dropped from 89 to 73 in a matter of 1/2 hour.
And has stayed there.
It's storming badly just south (by 15 miles) and north thru Ohio to Toledo.
We appear bulletproof.

Thanks for the comments on the Canopy.
It's now the official Cat Highway.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6739321

I posted this a few years ago but many haven't seen our 5th cat.
The breed comes from somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6739457

Rain this morning with severe storms just to the north of me then it got hot but not humid and sunny.

Here is a rain shot from this morning. I took it on the way to work. This is one of the highest spots I travel to work and today I actually remembered my camera. Those are dayliles there in front. The state planted them a few years ago to liven up ditches. And to save money on mowing.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6739510

Yikes, Ric--please keep your "5th cat" in Ohio! LOL Nice canopy--er, "cat highway"!
Adina: great lightning shots! How did you know it was going to strike when it did?
Marylyn: is that a typo on the 35% humidity? I can't believe Houston is actually that dry! Amazing!!
Kelli: more great photos--gorgeous scarlet larkspur!
Rann: Happy Anniversary! Hope you and your DH had a nice dinner together. So glad to know that Hildur Eva had a good time on the camping trip. I can't imagine camping out in a snowsuit! LOL
Kiska: have a good time with g'kids! BTW--that's Celia who is going to Oregon--not me. wish I was going, though--anywhere where it is cooler than here!
Sharon: I think Kiska is on Facebook, too. Your beached whale must be an Orca--it's black and white! LOL Gee, I don't know what I want in the way of plants-- Dmail me a list of what you have that would grow in my zone.

No, we didn't get any rain yet :o(( although my MIl said they got a hard shower on Tuesday but she lives 65 miles from me...
Still HOT< HOT< HOT!! I had to water again late this afternoon.

Currently 90 at 8:52 p.m. and not quite Dyson dark.

Ric: Big Dipper is living up to its name. Here's a shot of a dewdrop in the middle of the leaf this morning:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6739533

Pepper: we cross-posted. Send some of that rain down this way, please!

Rann: here's an orchid for your anniversary

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6739592

Sharon - I just signed up on Facebook :-)

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and flowers :-) We had a lovely dinner .. the food was delicious and we were both stuffed when we left! lol We had lobster soup for starters, grilled steak for main course and warm chocolate cake with ice cream for desert. That's my idea of a perfect meal! :-)

The sunset tonight was amazing so I went outside again to take some photos and videos. Here's a teaser.

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6739931

Beautiful End to a Great Day Rann.

Well there's now a T-Storm Warning here for about 30 minutes more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
national weather service doppler radar indicated a
severe thunderstorm capable of producing penny size hail and winds
to 60 mph. this storm was located near hamilton...moving east at 20
mph.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's about 30 miles north of us near our friends Dusty and Joyce.
We were in the Hot Tub and it was flashing and rumbling to the North.
Winds are picking up a bit but...

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6739998

Thanks Ric :-)

Well, I could say Good morning! It's 3:40 am and the sun is up! I actually managed to stay up :-) The sunrise was very blah compared to the sunset ... it rises behind Mt. Esja so the sun's not visible at 3 am ... waited until 3:30 ...lots of clouds in the way so I didn't wait longer ... The sunset photo is facing NNW, the sunrise photo is facing NNE ... it's a very short distance ...

This is what it looked like:

Off to bed now (Yawn!) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 26, 2009
8:12 AM

Post #6740343

Rann, great pics of the sunset and sunrise! I'd say that was my idea of a perfect meal too!LOL Glad you had a great anniversary!
Ric, thanks! Your 5th cat is so cool! The plant you posted seemed like the ones on our field, but the little flowers aren't similar. This is it , Echium vulgare : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echium_vulgare
Mau, I didn't know when the lightnings will strike, I just stood there with the camera on and got about 200 shots/night staying about 1/2 hour at the window . Only 3 caught something on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday and one yesterday . Last night I was out on the terrace and DH said I should better get inside because of so many lightnings...I said that's why I'm staying out!LOL But I knew he was right and I came inside and stood better in front of the window. Tehre were some which stroke right above us, like many lightnings over all sky...that was scary, even for me!LOL
Sharon, what a beautiful flower! Thanks for the compliment, I'll enter some pics in the contest, like every year. I had teh camera set on the night continously option. I just stood tehre pushing down the button and it took pics automatically , with a few seconds between them. Of course, I missed some good ones...arrrgghhhh!
Now I'll post some day pics, when it was sunny and warm. I've been working in the garden and took some pics. I brought the Echium vulgare/Viper's Bugloss inside the garden and planted it in the WM(wild/medicinal) area!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 26, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #6740344

Two more plants brought in : chicoria and St. John's wort.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 26, 2009
8:19 AM

Post #6740347

Zinnias are blooming

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 26, 2009
8:20 AM

Post #6740348

First Zinnia bloom.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 26, 2009
8:20 AM

Post #6740349

Veggie garden.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 26, 2009
8:21 AM

Post #6740350

Smeone was in real trouble.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6740592

Ric That would be scary kitty?
Pepper All those daylilies make for a pretty drive to work!
Mau I knew I would miss someone! Sorry Kiska! I like the big dipper.
Rann YAY another DGr on FB! Thats my idea of a perfect meal too! And a huge WOW on the sunset! Gorgeous! Your sunrises are always dramatic to me. It hink it has to do with the countryside, like Kiska's.
Adina Your gardens are great and LOL at the trouble pic!

77.9 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 71 F
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 94 South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6740632

Good morning! Again! lol

It's partly cloudy ... kind of a thin cover of clouds so it's very bright, light breeze and 54F ... it's warming up ... could even see high 50's for the weekend :-)

Adina - thanks :-) Great photos from your garden ... everything is so green! Very pretty flowers. I think it's really interesting to see how different the soil is in different countries, looks so totally different to what we have here :-)

Thanks Sharon :-) Thanks for asking about Facebook - it triggered me to finally get on there :-) Already got in touch with a friend from High School I hadn't heard from in 20 years :-) Found out they actually had a 20 year Reunion last weekend! lol

Here's another sunset photo

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #6740644

Some horses ... this is less than 2 minute drive from my house. We live right on the edge of town.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6740649

One more sunset photo ... or after sunset rather :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6740656

And here's one from 3 am this morning: The houses are the presidential residence at Bessastair.

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6740679

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Storms have battered parts of Ohio with high winds and record amounts of rain, resulting in power outages, downed trees and flooded streets.

National Weather Service meteorologist Dan Hawblitzel says Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport recorded 2.65 inches of rain on Thursday, a new all-time high for June 25.

The weather service also says wind gusts of up to 54 mph were recorded in the region.

Ohio utilities reported Friday morning that at least 82,000 customers were without service, including 60,000 in the county that includes Cincinnati.

Authorities say lightning fires destroyed two homes in West Chester Township, north of Cincinnati. Farther north, in Columbus, police say two cars were temporarily trapped in a flooded underpass.

Everything fine here... we are 15 miles north of the Airport.
Didn't get near that much rain.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6740822

We are in faiely good shape here.
A lot of 'Nature's Pruning' went on though.
Our power flickered a bit around 2:30 AM but ...
TONS of lightning.
At one point they measured 445 strikes in 5 minutes.
The most of it was away from us.
The the storm ended and all was calm for about 10 minutes.
Then in 60 seconds 3 VERY close Flash/Bangs.
They shook the house and ours is solid brick.

During the late afternoon golfball sized hail hit by the Airport.
The roof of the UPS Building near there collapsed from the water weight.
NO injuries.

Off to survey the yard.

Ric

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 9:20 AM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6740856

Wow Ric - I think it's safe to say that things are quite unstable there!! Some storm!

There was another earthquake yesterday ... DH felt it ... I didn't feel a thing.

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6740860

Here's another "sunrise" photo :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6740891

Super market yesterday. Nearly sold out of everything. New potatoes & peas were fastest sellers. Freshly dug onions were right behind. We had some huge heads of broccoli. Didn't stay on the table long!
So today we are picking for tomorrows market. It should be good, nice weather and lots of produce bring many customers.

Eating breakfast at the moment. A bowl of Cherrios with a banana, strawberries & blueberries on it. Strawberries are from the garden, blueberries came from Aldi's , only $1.69 a pint! Last week they were $1.49, so we bought 24 pints & put them in the freezer.

Yesterday high was 91 going that way again today.

Bernie

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 8:27 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6740959

Bernie: sounds like you are doing good at the Farmer's Market!
Adina: That viper's bugloss is a pretty plant with an ugly name! What a funny photo of your "pup" in the bottle! How did you do that?
Ric: WOW! some weather you are having! It would be nice if some of that could be spread out in our southern regions and then we could all have some rain but hopefully without the storms and lightening!
Rann: sounds like you had a yummy anniversary dinner! Nice sunset/sunrise photos!
Sharon: lovely rose: could you by any chance get a start for me of that gorgeous red orchid of yours(Caladium)? I don't know how difficult that would be--never tried to "root" an orchid plant.

It's supposed to be somewhat "cooler" today but that is a relative term. Cooler than what--100F? That's not much consolation.

Currently sunny and 85F at 8:46 a.m.

"Little Joy" daylily--aptly named because it's bloom is considerably smaller than most dl's.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 8:52 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6740996

Well we had 1.1" of rain here in about 30 minutes from last night's storm.
Some minor plant damage but that's all.

Down the street a tree is on a house and car.
Film at 11...

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6741019

Y'all be sure to check out Kelli's article today--it is great! -- and be sure to turn on the background music--so soothing.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6741277

We have some cats, too.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6741371

Ric: too bad about the tree on the house and the car--was anyone hurt?
Bernie, Mama cat seems to be saying: "Enough already!" LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6741645

Rann I love FB! Its amazing how many people I have reconnected with. Several are from elementary school/jr. high and sr. high. I sent DG friend suggestions to you. Aww, the horses are beautiful as are the sunrises and sunsets. The 3rd pic down is extraordinary.The presidential residence pic looks like a fairy tale. What are the blue flowers?
Ric Dang hang on to your hat! Im glad no one has been harmed in the storms.
Bernie Im envious of your fruit prices LOL! Youre doing great at the market!
Mau I will get you a cutting of the caladium. I know someone who can help me do it. Your little joy is just about the same color as the caladium.
Bernie You have some beached whales too LOL! What are their names? Too cute!
Ric What the update on the neighbors?

85.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 88 F
UV: 4 out of 16
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6741721

No one was hurt.
I haven't had a chance to get up there and see it.
We just finished cleaning up...and doing a bit of pruning.
There are two 'widow makers' still hanging about 50' up.
No way to bring them down.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6741737

I only have a minute. We're busy, busy, busy! LOL

Hello from Oregon!!! I miss you all! Having a good time and will be posting lots of pics when I get back. Take care, everyone!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6742051

88 (Heat Index 96) Yuck!
ALL the rain from yesterday is making the air like soup!

We have 3 DG'ers coming tomorrow morning.
Then off to another Tour.
There are actually 3 this weekend.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6742162

I kind of miss lightning, though it scared me at night when I was a little kid, as I'm sure it does most little kids.

Thanks for the "plug" Marilyn. Sometimes when I have trouble falling asleep, I listen to that song to relax me. I don't know what the composer intended, but for me, it makes me think of hot, drowsy, quiet summer days at an old hacienda.

Adina, is (or was) there a lot of farm land in your area? When I see flat places, I think of farms (and tornados).

They're calling for it to get to 85F today. It probably will.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on June 26, 2009
80 F
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Wind: 7 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.90 in (Falling)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6742694

Vacation Bible school is over at church. The bunnies and I stayed late and helped clean up. (Well, I helped clean up. The bunnies played Super Mario Kart on the... ummm... whatever kind of Playstation/thingamabob game thing... we don't have one, and I don't know the difference between them... in the children's church area. LOL) It was a good week. :-) Now I need a shower and a nap. A really loonnnng nap. LOL I'm sure the 3 ladies who did the coordinating all week are ready for an even longer one!

Adina, I LOVE that zinnia photo!

Rann, those sunset/sunrise photos are beautiful!!

Kelli, I love that last shot. It makes me wish I were on the hike with you so I could see what is beyond that bend. :-)

Sharon:
Quoting:Marylyn: is that a typo on the 35% humidity? I can't believe Houston is actually that dry! Amazing!!

It was not a typo, Sharon. Today the humidity is even lower! I'm beginning to think Houston moved to San Antonio one night while we were asleep... This is not normal weather for us! There's a road (Eldridge) we often take on our way home from church (when I'm not in the mood to drive on the freeway - which is most of the time!) This spring the city planted hundreds of little trees in the esplanade between lanes, which is going to look great! Today most of them have brown leaves and are looking quite stressed. It was very sad to see... :-( Hopefully we will start getting some regular rain soon! We got one pop up storm yesterday, and it rained quite hard for about 20 minutes, which was great! If it could just do that every day it would help a lot. No chances of rain are mentioned in our forecast at all. Yikes!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CDT (58 min ago)
Temperature 100 F 38 C
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 30%
Pressure 29.81 in 1009.5 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir SE 130
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 104 F 40 C
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks 6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.9F / 24.4C

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6742925

Sharon: thanks--I'd love to have one of those "Caladium" orchids! We'll try again on the ajuga later in the season.

I'll be gone all day tomorrow so here's the weather for tonight and tomorrow: Another HOT one on tap and no rain in sight! :o((
Today
Sunrise: 5:56 AM CT
Avg. High: 89F
Record High: 99F (1970)
Tonight:Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 76F
Precip 20%
Wind: SW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 78%
Sunset: 8:26 PM CT

Saturday's Forecast:
Day: Sunny
High: 100F
Precip 0%
Wind: SW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 54%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 5:56 AM CT
Avg. High: 89F
Record High: 96F (1966)
Night: Clear
Overnight Low 77F
Precip 0%
Wind: WSW 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 72%
Avg. Low: 68F
Record Low: 52F (1968)
Avg. Low: 67F
Record Low: 51F (1974)

The mums are blooming!

Thumbnail by marsue

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6743500

Bad thunderstorms went around us today. Weather is cooler - 78 degrees now.
Ric - the flower you showed earlier looks like Phlacea sp? comes in white and blue. White is taller and buds more closely set.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6743516

Hot but not too humid. Had a little bit of a breeze today also so that made it bearable.

Asiatic Lily "Black Out" One of the lilies waiting on a bed that my dad doesn't want to make. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6743696

W/ everything going on I forgot to mention we found the owner/gifter of the Sage.
It is a Sage she just can't remember which one... lol!
Checking her notes.

Hot and still today.
88 (Heat Index 96) at the worst.
82 (Heat Index 86) currently at 9:30 PM.
Here we go again.

Mau wait until the 'Dippers' get a bit bigger and you get a light rain.
They bob up and down like Flamingos.
Hopefully by next Spring I'll have some 'Coffee Cups' for you.
Deeper purple, Deeper Bowl.

Lovely reds in the posts today.
Hummer Bait! lol!

Bernie I love Calicoes.
This is the first time in 30 years we haven't had one... or a Tabby.

After the cleanup we started rearranging plants and cleaning. Company tomorrow morning.
Robyn tackled the Sewing/Plant Room.
I finished the shingles on the right side of the deck.
Monday I'll start the left side and the trim.
We did move 5 hanging baskets of 'Spider Plants' up on the new Canopy.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #6745993

86 (Heat Index 87) and I'm all alone here...

But the Tour was fun!

Here's a mini DG reunion.
(l-r) Bertie, taynors, Me and joycet

Thumbnail by henryr10

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 27, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6746039

Ric, I love the new Canopy, I'd need one of those too! I'm glad everyone is OK after such a bad storm...grrr!
Sharon, what a beautiful rose!
Mau, my mums are blooming too... isn't it strange? My Betty did that to herself, I don't know how...I hope it wasn't a silly game some one played on her...that would make me mad! She might wanted to drink water from that bottle or just played with it...they all do that with plastic bottles. I just saw her like that at the fence , walking arround the house like asking for help, poor baby!LOL Of course I ran quickly for the camera and then out to release her!LOL
Bernie, good job with teh veggies and good bargain with the fruits! Yummy breakfast! Cute picture of the kitties! Momma cat seems pretty bothered!LOL
Rann, gorgeous pics!
Kelli, loved the article! What are those red blooms in the picture ? The field which surrounds my house is sold for construction, they don't have farms here anymore. The small village is about to be part of the city of Bucharest in the future . I hope we won't have tornados here...grrrr!
Marylyn, lovely thing about Vacation Bible school! That was too cool about having a Super Mario game at church!LOL

It has rained last night again, with thunders and lightnings, but not so much storm, low wind. It has cooled off, about 55 last night and 78 today. Cloudy this morning and it rained again, smoothly, no wind. After noon the sun came out and the temp got higher , to 86. Big dark clouds are up again and rain is forecasted for tonight.
I haven't watered since Tuesday.
Are you sitting? Then I'm going to tell you I took 1,200 pics last night and saved only 3 with the best lightnings...which I'm going to post now!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 27, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6746046

Ric, what a beautiful reunion! Nice to see you and the girls!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 27, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6746051

Another one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 27, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6746058

One more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 27, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6746076

And a sunset tonight, for changing the colors!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6746953

Adina, the red flowers are scarlet larkspur.

Hot today

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on June 27, 2009
93 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.84 in (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6747377

Wow Adina--great photos of the lightening! You certainly have more patience than I do! LOL Yes, it is strange that the mums are blooming now.
Someone told me if I will deadhead them once they bloom that they will bloom again in the fall. I sure hope so.
Ric: I'll certainly be looking forward to the "coffee cups"! :o)) What fun--a mini-reunion! The canopy is looking great and so are all you DGers!!

I took a day trip today to visit someone in north east Arkansas--had to drive through the Arkansas Delta farmland to get there. I took this pic of the sunrise early this morning at approx 6:24 a.m. You can see the heat haze hanging heavy in the air. By 7:30 a,.m. it was already 86F! at 2 p.m. It was 100F--air temp--not heat index. On the way home we ran through a rain shower but, alas, I returned home to discover that it didn't rain at my house. *sniff*

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6747394

For those of you who have never seen rice growing, here is a photo of a rice field.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6747399

. . .and just across the road from the rice field is a soybean field.

Rice and soybeans are the two major crops grown in Arkansas

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6747406

this pic shows the big sprinklers watering a field--once again you can see the heat haze in the air

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6747422

This is a close-up of the sprinklers--these weren't watering at the time. Bear in mind that I took these photos from the car while traveling at the speed of approx. ?? mph

This message was edited Jun 27, 2009 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6747448

This photo shows a cell phone tower across the highway from grain elevators and grain bins. Technology has come to the country! This particular highway is straight as an arrow for approx. 40 miles. The official speed limit is 55 mph but on the week-ends when there is relatively little traffic one could easily drive 70 mph if one had a mind to do so!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6747462

a well-maintained Arkansas farmhouse with red barn through the trees

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6747474

and one more--that's not a bird--it's a plane--the ever-present cropduster!

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6747486

Adina again Great Shots!
WHAT a Sunset!

Mau we saw them watering celery that way in LA just south of Kelli.
WILD to watch!

Kelli Thanks! I was going to ask for an ID on the Larkspur.

I talked to a renter of the house that was hit in the storm.
It was lightning.
It hit a Cottonwood, burst the top and knocked it over.
I'll try to get a shot tomorrow.
It's one of our favorite houses, looks like a mini castle.
Probably dates from around 1910.
Stone walls, slate roof, round tower entryway.
The tower is now missing it's balconey, gutters and part of it's roof.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6747754

Super hot today with very little breeze til tonight when storms rolled into the area. Weird thing is that the storms were all around us but we only got about a minute's worth of rain. Tomorrow a cool front comes thru so our high will only be in the high 80s. Big relief!!

Mona Lisa Oriental Lily. Smells great!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6747815

Adina those lightning shots are awesome! :-) Wow 1200 shots! that's really something. Beautiful sunset :-)

Mau - great photos :-)

Pepper - pretty lily. I have that one too :-)

It was mostly cloudy today, light breeze and finally a bit warmer ... today's high was around 60F :-) Yesterday was mostly sunny and also warm ...must have been at least 60F. Felt like summer at last! :-)

Hi to everyone I haven't metnioned - I enjoyed all your posts and photos :-)

Here's a link to a few video clips of the midnight sunset and sunrise at 3 am the other night :-) http://www.dropshots.com/ranny#albums/Midnight sunset

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6748693

Great video clips, Rann! Magnificent sunset; gorgeous field of flowers; a happy bird chirping; pretty horses(I'm partial to "paint" horses myself); loved the shot of the church with the water in the background--so picturesque! Thanks for sharing!
P.S. when do you sleep--LOL?

Here's another shot from my trip yesterday--a pond beside the highway.

Currently 81F at 7:40 a.m.

Pepper--send that cool front our way, please!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6748702

Here's a pic of the rice storage bins with a newly plowed field in the foreground.

This photo was taken at approx 2:30 p.m. The heat haze is readily apparent.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2009 7:47 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6748714

Another shot of a rice field--in the distance you can see the water bubbling up from the large pipe that keeps the fields flooded to the proper depth.

This part of Arkansas(the east) is flat and fertile farmland. The north central and northwestern
portion of the state is mountainous and rocky (but NOT nearly as high in elevation as our western states) and is where you will find the Ozark and Ouachita National Forests.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2009 7:52 AM

This message was edited Jun 28, 2009 7:54 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6748777

Good morning!

Thanks marsue :-) Not sure the bird was so happy ... I think it was telling me to go away! lol Must have had a nest or young chicks somewhere close by. LOL ... I sleep in decemeber ;-) lol Great photos ... the rice fields are such a nice green color :-) Didn't know they grew rice in Arkansas.

I actually stayed up again last night to see the sunrise since the cloudcover looked promising to be able to actually see the sun ... It was spectacular ... drove out to the end of the little peninsula (lftanes) that divides the fjord Hafnarfjrur where my town is (that's it behind the church) from the next inlet over where the town of Garabr is ... anyway ... turned out that the sunrise was 20 min. earlier there since Mt. Esja wasn't in the way ... still mountains blocking it, but not as high so the sun rose over them around 3:40 am ... when I drove back home at 4:00 am the sun was just rising above the highest point on Mt. Esja (official sunrise time was 3:02) ... It was a really glorious night ... I'll upload the videos later today :-) I think it was almost 5 am when I finally fell asleep ... just to too exhilirated to sleep ... really wanted to go outside and work in the garden.

Now it's cloudy, supposed to start raining this afternoon and according to the forecast it will continue to rain all next week :-( Hope not! Seems fairly calm and still warm, 58F at 12 noon.

Sunrise at 3:40 am this morning:

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 28, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6748840

marsue, Nice pictures. Lot can be learned about an area from pictures.
I think nobody thinks about the south was farmed long before the midwest! Most farming here started in mid 1800's. Lot's of farms here have been celebrating the land being in the same family for 100 years. Some of the longest settled in 1870's. There were homesteaded at that time.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6749117

Kelli That trail looks very inviting.
Marylyn I hope you had a nice long nap after VBS. Its nice to see someone has low humidity LOL!
Mau Love the color on the mums!
Se_eds Your temp is wonderful!
Pepper Black Out is way too pretty to wait for a new bed! Tell your dad he needs to get busy LOL!
Ric The canopy looks great!
Adina Whoa - 1200 pics?! Those that turned out are great! Pretty sunset.
Mau Pretty sunrise even with the haze. Weve had a lot of haze lately. Its been a long time since Ive seen rice and soy fields. Im always amazed at how pretty and green they are. Did you have a mind to drive 70? Love that farmhouse!
Pepper Lilies are becoming a favorite of mine. Oh well, theyre all favorites LOL!
Rann- Love the videos! Looking forward to more vides. That is one gorgeous sunrise!

87.1 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 56%
Wind: 4.3 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph
Pressure: 29.83 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 90 F
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy. Breezy. A 30 percent chance of afternoon thunderstorms. High 96. West winds 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph.

Heat index readings 105 to 109.

We had to pick up Jeff's work van yesterday from a friend of ours repair shop (new fuel filter). He could normally do the work, but it's so hot outside he'd rather pay Tommy to do it. On the way to the repair shop the temp reading on A1A was 104 and that wasn't a heat index reading.

The neon pink moss roses. Picture is NOT photoshopped. They are this bright.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6749306

Sunny, Hot, Bright.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6749314

Thanks Sharon :-) Love that hot pink color on the moss rose! :-)

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6749418

Quoting: Did you have a mind to drive 70?

Sharon: I'll never tell!! LOL (although I have been accused of having a lead foot!)

DGS Zachary and I are going to take in a movie this afternoon: "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian". We debated between that and "Up". We'll probably go see "Up" later in the week.

Still hot but not as hot as yesterday. Our high is forecast to be 92F today which is several degrees cooler!

By the way, Arkansas is one of the largest rice-producing states in the US. We export a large percentage of the rice grown here to oriental countries. When the rice matures around October, it turns a nice wheat color. That's when it's time to harvest it! Here's one more pic and this will conclude my "tour" of the Arkansas Delta. :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6749490

Very interesting Mau :-)

Here's another photo from last night ... the Presidential residence, Bessastair ... I've posted so many photos where it can be seen in the distance, thought I'd take one where you can have a closer look, since I was driving by ;-) lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6749516

I could live there LOL!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6749730

There was a farm that was in my family for probably 120 years. It was sold in the 1980s, I think. (No one in the family was interested in farming or had the money to buy an extra piece of property and I was too young to care.) As far as I know, it is still one complete piece of property, though the house burned down.

Nice sky pictures, Adina. It sounds like your area is going through what this area went through about 60 years ago. A hundred years ago, this area was all huge cattle ranches and a vast wheat farm (40,000 acres!). After the aqueduct was built, they were sold off and divided into smaller farms, usually of 5 to 10 acres and people grew stuff like lima beans, sugar beets, barley, and walnuts. Then in the early 1950s, the farms were sold off rapidly and divided into the suburban lots that they are now. Once in a while, you still come upon an odd piece of ground still being used for farming or keeping horses or is just a vacant lot. When we first moved here, there was a small farm about 2 miles from here, but it's gone now - about 8 to 10 houses in there now. A few miles from here, there are a couple of old houses from circa 100 years ago. They have larger yards than the modern houses and it's my guess that they were once part of farms that took up the whole block. Where I used to work they said used to be strawberry fields.

It's going to be beastly hot today. It's a good day to stay inside and watch baseball.
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on June 28, 2009
82 F
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Pressure: 29.90 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 F
UV: 7 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

If I posted this before, sorry. The red ones come back every year. The others I just bought a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. Next time I'm at the nursery, I think I'll get more.

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6750151

Ohh Kelli I don't have any red MR's - yet. Maybe I'll get some next year!

Now
Through 345 PM...thunderstorms continue on the Northside of Jacksonville and heavy rainfall and lightning should be expected with these thunderstorms as they move into Amelia Island...Black Hammock Island and Arlington. The thunderstorms are moving southwest at 15 to 20 miles an hour.

The temps has droppe 7* in the last 30 minutes. It's still hot, but we're below 90!
89.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6750411

Goodness - it hasn't been this cool during the day in - well a long time LOL!!

83.5 F
Overcast
Humidity: 55%
Wind: 7.0 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 29.74 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 89 F
Clouds: Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Overcast 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I may have to go outside for a little bit :)

It's dark outside!
Now
Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect until 9pm... through 450 PM...thunderstorms continue to move into western Nassau County and will affect Callahan...Bryceville and the Airport area on the Northside of Jacksonville. Heavy rainfall and lightning should be expected with the thunderstorms as they move southeast at 20 miles an hour.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2009 4:44 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6750631

Blow some of that rain over my way, Sharon! 83F sounds mighty cool to me! LOL

Kelli: love the MR--that variegated version is pretty, too. I saw a lovely pink and white variegated phlox on the website of one of the internet nurseries yesterday. I thought about ordering one until I saw the price--It was a mere 18.98 per plant!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6750664

I'm trying Mau!

79.2 F ------ huh????? This is awesome LOL!
Overcast
Humidity: 62%

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 28, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6750689

Kelli, I've heard on our field used to be eggplants all over. The peasants here had their own field , but they sold them for money. I can see only a few lots which are still cultivated, especially with sunflower. I have to make a trip and take some pics when they are in full bloom...the dogs will love it! Your portulacas are so pretty!
Sharon, yours too!
Mau, great pics, thanks for the tour!
Rann, what are you doing up at 3 a.m.? The sunrise is amasing!
Ric, what a tragedy for those people! The storm we had on Saturday was so powerful that a lightning hit one of the tallest building in Bucharest downtown and it burned all night. The firemen fought so hard ...it was live on TV. It happened at 11 p.m. and I stayed until 2 a.m to watch and the fire was still on, the building was burning like a torch.
I'm sending this link wher you can see some pics of the fire :

http://www.hotnews.ro/hotreporter-2009-06-5865782-incendiu-armeneasca.htm

It's raining again, started at 9 p.m and it's 12 a.m. and hasn't stopped yet...ugh! Lots of Ts and Ls again, but no pics!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 28, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6750708

A video of the fire :

http://videonews.ro/action/viewvideo/17794/Incendiu-Armeneasca/
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6750715

Adina - I hope no one was harmed in the fire. What are you doing up at 12:30am? LOL! I'd be fast asleep. Your baskets are pretty!

I hear thunder...

Now
Through 615 PM...showers and thunderstorms will continue to move south of the Georgia border with the heaviest thunderstorms moving into the Westside of Jacksonville...Jasper and northern Baker County. The thunderstorms are moving southeast at 20 miles an hour. Lightning and heavy rainfall should be expected with the thunderstorms.

78.4 F
Thunderstorm

The temps keep dropping. If it gets much cooler I'll start getting concerned about tornadoes.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6750912

My "red" portulacas aren't true red. It's more of an orange red.

That's amazing about the building. You wouldn't think there would be enough wood in a modern building to start a fire, though I guees there must be more to them than steel and plaster board. The hook and ladder (type of fire truck that can reach heights) is amazing, too.

100F here at the house. There are probably a million people at the beach. (I don't know if that is an exageration or not.)

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 28, 2009
99 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
UV: 10 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6750923

A hard core beach friend of mine said today that it's too hot to go to the beach. I have marked this on the calendar. Next year she will deny saying those words LOL!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6750947

Here it is probably almost never too hot at the beach. Right now it is 67F at the beach that we usually go to (one of the beaches of Malibu). The ocean is always cold so it keeps the air cooler right at the beach. You don't have to go very far inland before it gets hot again.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6751375

Nice and cool today!! We had a great breeze and I spent most of the afternoon outside planting. I dug up some daffies and replanted only a few of each clump. I had almost a full plastic bag. A friend of mine is taking them off my hands.

Here is one of my Rudibeckias. 'Maya'

Thumbnail by pepper23

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6751395

At 7:56 pm, it's still 96 here. I'm ready to go to either beach, Sharon and Kelli! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6751506

Pepper that's an interesting Rudi.

Pretty Geraniums Adina!
They had some damage here but there was no one hurt.
It was lightning as you can see the burn marks on the trees.
In a few weeks, except for the missing trees, no one will even know...
Incredible Fire over there!
I hope everyone got out OK?

I can definitely vouch for the cool beaches in CA.
On the East coast the temps are almost always higher on the sand.
Out in Malibu as we went down from the cliffs it was like driving into a deep valley here.
From San Fran north it gets hotter the closer to the water you get.
But 18% Humidity? That's Death Valley dry!

Rann it's been Cool seeing the Sunset/Sunrise shots and video.
Just think in 6 months you can shoot the whole day in an hour...lol!

Mau stay Cool!
Nice Geography lesson.
I've not seen much of the Delta there.

Sharon stay Safe!

The front came thru here this evening.
It's nice and cool w/ a NW breeze.
From a hot 88 w/ a Humidity of 79% to a nice 79 w/ Humidity of 34% in the last hour.
Supposed to go down to 60 tonight.

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6751624

Adina - LOL I was waiting for the sun to rise... ;-)

Sharon - can't imagine it being too hot on the beach ... WOW then it's REALLY hot!

LOL - Ric ... well 4 hours ;-) But it's pretty cool to think that the sun is rising and setting in the opposite direction that it was in December ;-)

Another one from last night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6751860

Ha! Sharon: now I've heard everything--"too hot to go to the beach!" LOL
Adina, that was some fire!
Pepper: pretty rudbeckia. Enjoy your cooler weather!
Ric: those steppingstones look like wheels from a Stone Age cart! LOL (or did they have wheels in the Stone Age?)
Another great photo, Rann!

Marylyn: I'll stop complaining--we are a cool 81F at 9:51 p.m. It is also Dyson dark.
Good night all.
P.S. DGS and I enjoyed the movie--it had lots of noise and action but it was relatively harmless and the good guys won. :o)) I loved the tiny cowboy character! Although the evil Egyptian pharaoh was hilarious, still, he got his just reward in the end. :o)) There was only one very mild(by today's terms) swear word, which was refreshing! I rarely go to the movies because most of them are just plain trash, IMHO, but I'll have to admit that this one was fun.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6752302

Getting ready for the drive to work & it is dark.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2009
9:59 AM

Post #6752645

Kelli 67*? Is that the water temp or air temp? If its air tempIm moving to your beach LOL!
Ric 60*? Yall are killin me! Cool stepping stones.
Rann Its been too hot to go to the beach for me. Laying on hot sand baking in the hot sun then cooling off in warm water??? No not for me LOL! Your pics are just gorgeous!
Mau Fred Flintstone had wheels on his car! The beaches arent as jam-packed as they usually are. Its a tad more hot this yeareven the tourists are whining. I dont go to the movies much either for the same reasons.

77.5 F
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 71 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 7.5 mph
Pressure: 29.74 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 94. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent. Heat index readings 101 to 105.

No rain last night. Lots of thunder and lightening though. I don't know where the rain went, but it completely skipped us.

I start the July on Wednesday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6753647

Sharon: pretty flower--is that e.hookerii?

Today: Mostly Sunny
High 93F
Precip 10%
Wind: N 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 43%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 5:57 AM CT
Avg. High: 90F
Record High: 103F (1988)
Tonight: Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 68F
Precip 0%
Wind: W 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 69%
Avg. Low: 68F
Record Low: 56F (2006

Phlox--it doesn't seem to mind the heat

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6754151

Sharon, that's a 67F air temperature, with a water temperature of about 62F.

It will be hot again today. I'll check in later.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 30, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6755878

68*F~thunderstorm in the works. More thunder in the past days than in years.
Had a good time RVing w/grandkids the past few days; today we went to the reindeer farm where you can wander out into the herd and hand feed them. Was a good day, as well.
Celia's in Oregon- not Marsue:)) Need to be more careful of thinking one way, and typing the other:)0
Happy Anniversary, Rann. Nice seeing you on Facebook now. Love being able to see at a glance friends' there, too.
MySharona~the rhubarb is very good all season. The leaves are not edible. The new haircut must be great in that hot weather.
Adina~your lightning photos are beautiful.
hi all~getting back on is great seeing you all.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6756451

Pretty Phlox!

kiska a little squirrel stew?
He looks fat enough...lol!

Another hot low humidity day.
Maybe 84.
We worked on the flowers all day... well our 'next' project is in the works too... but mostly the garden.

Mau here's 'Coffee Cups' or 'Tea Cups' depending on who you ask.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6756483

We thinned out the herd today.
EE's are now scattered everywhere around the yard and I was able to sell a few also.

Here's the last herd shot until Fall.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6756547

Hot and sunny today with the occasional breeze. Probably mid 80s.

Another daylily.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6756635

Welcome back, Kiska!! :-)

That's a beautiful daylily, pepper!

It rained this evening!!! Yayyy! It was pouring for a long time, which was wonderful. Charles went to the library to drop off some books and a video that was due today ("Lars and the Real Girl"... a very different sort of movie! Good, but... well, different. LOL). He called to say that it was going to be a while before he got home because the thunderstorm we could hear in the distance from here was right over the library and the lightning was all around him. As he was talking I could hear the sirens from several fire trucks, so a building nearby might have been hit.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (765 min ago)
Temperature 82 F 28 C (That's almost a 20 degree difference from just a few hours ago!)
Dew Point 75 F 24 C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 29.85 in 1011 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir W 270
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 90 F 32 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C

There's still a chance of more rain tonight, and a chance of some tomorrow, too. I'm praying we get some nice steady showers for several hours... It would make SUCH a difference!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6756930

It didn't get as hot today as they were calling for. It probably got somewhere between 85 and 90.

colorful sunset tonight

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6756940

last of the sun reflecting off one of the Warner Center highrises

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6756991

The place where I used to work is near these buildings. It is too short to be visible from this distance.

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
10:01 AM

Post #6757555

Mau Yes it is! Its been blooming pretty regular this summer.
Kelli I want to move to your beach LOL! 67* in the summer? Perfect for mealthough I probably wouldnt be able to afford to live there!
Kiska A reindeer farm sounds like fun! I just had to get my gray roots tuned up LOL! I started going gray at 25 (thanks Dad!). I keep my hair at a bob length, just above my shoulders or a little shorter in the summer. That is the cutest squirrel feeder Ive ever seen!
Ric Thats a nice big gulp of coffee there! Those are cool looking!
Pepper Love that daylily!
Marylyn Congrats on the rain! We got some too :)
Kelli Thats a pretty sunset!

77.4 F
Overcast
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 74 F
Wind: 3.8 mph
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 29.71 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 F
Visibility: 6.0 miles
Clouds: Overcast 600 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 92. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

We had a thunderstorm move through last night. Jeff was also late getting home due to the heavy rain and winds. I shut down the computer due to all the lightening. We have surge suppressors, but I like to shut it down...just in case. We received 1" of rain, temps dropped to 74, so I went out on the porch after the worst had passed. It was pleasant out without humidity.

Justin modeling Jeff's dorky hat! We tease each other about out summer hats :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 30, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6759180

58*F Sunny, bright, and beautiful.
ric~gorgeous plants; the "coffee-teacups" looks great with such a pretty bowl shape. The squirrel is really putting away the seeds now and getting plumper by the day.
kelli~the sunset/city is so nice, too. Great seeing more of your area.
Marylyn~what a storm-must have made quite a racket.
MySharona~cute pic of Justin~~the 74* sounds quite nice.
Pepper~that's so pretty; love the soft color.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6759519

Too much to catch up on or comment on, so...

92.7 F with 98 for the high. We came from 75 800 miles away, to this.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 14.0 mph
Pressure: 29.85 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 88 F
UV: 9 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

No pics yet. I have to review, crop, and delete.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6759767

Celia - welcome back! :-)

Kiska - looks like the reindeer farm was a lot of fun. My girls would LOVE that! :-)
Marylyn - so glad I don't have to deal with thunderstorms ... seems the cool weather here takes care of a lot things I don't have to deal with as a result! lol
Kelli - very pretty sunset ... and nice view!
Ric - those coffee cups are really cool looking :-)

It was mosty cloudy today, very short sunny spell around noon but otherwise overcast. Pretty calm and still relatively warm ... a high of 61F today! Yesterday was even better ... there were more sunny spells so it must have been a bit warmer ... felt warmer at least. I really need to get a new thermometer ...

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6759931

Helluuuu! :D What a gorgeous day today. At the moment we have a temp of 76, w/ clouds & sun, intermittently. And a great breeze to go w/ it. :)
At Dublin...
Mostly Cloudy79F
Feels like: 79F
Barometer: 29.7 in
Dewpoint: 61
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 10 mph W
Sunrise: 6:06 AM
Sunset: 8:48 PM
UV Index: 4 Moderate

Mau. I've been so busy that I need to clean the bed that my Amaryllis is in before I take a pic. But it's doing very well! :D
Sharon...Where's your hat!? :D
Kelli! Great article & very informative! :D And LOVE that sunset!
Ric, Looks like both RU's went well. I really like those wooden shingles! Is that what they call shakers?
Kiska, Looks like fun was had by all! :D Have the earth quakes subsided? I certainly hope so! :-O
Rann, Such a pretty face!

Me & JW picked black raspberries yesterday...LOL! He had 6 in his bucket before he tried one. When he did...he had the look of "Hey, That's what's in my bucket!" He ate them all! LOL! Luckily, there weren't too many of them, otherwise he may have had a burnt rear. :) And it won't be much longer & the blackberries will be ready. :)

Have a good evening!
Joey

Stella Dora is blooming! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6759939

This is my DBIL's new addition...

Yeager

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2009

Post #6759944

JW (or as he says...Joe) on the move.

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 1, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6760999

"our" little JW/Joe is as cute as ever. Glad to see you again, too. Yeager is pretty darn cute, as well.
69*F~ sunny and as nice a day as I've seen. There was a 3.2 quake today, but I didn't notice. The volcanco has been downgraded today~that's good, too.
rann~glad you're getting nice weather, too~the Reindeer can't bite, nor do they kick backwards and are a wonderful way for the kids to see them up close.
grandkids meeting us at the airport last week. They flew up alone and did very well.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6761195

Hey let's watch the 'Dorky Hat' cracks I have one just like that! LOL!

Joey that would be Shakes.
Split Red Cedar

Looks like someone's missing some teethes!
Does the Tooth Fairy visit Iceland?

Yeager looks like a no nonsense kinda dog!

Cool Reindeer!
I love those guys... and girls as I see there... we have them at the zoo here.
Still stop in to pet them when we're there.
Glad the Grans had a good trip.
That's a scary at any age. Looks like they handled it well.

Never broke 75 degrees here today.
Nice breeze... ahhhhh...

Well the north side Shaking is done.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6761497

Sunny and about 83 today with a breeze. A very nice day!!!

Here's one of the hollers I have to drive thru everyday to and from work. In the winter time the ice won't melt because the sun can't reach the road.

Thumbnail by pepper23

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2009
10:05 AM

Post #6762449

We've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1009430/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America