Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Needle Arts: Non-Profit Needs Help

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 8, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KactusKathi
Goodyear, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6732865

I am not very crafty but I am a gardener and usually post on the SW Gardening & Cactus & Succulent Board. I am the director of a non-profit dance group for children and we are putting on a festival in October. We are setting up craft booths free for the area's children and need yarn of any color for the project. They will be making a craft call the "Eye of God" (pic attached) anything you would care to donate would be greatly appreciated. Since we are a non-profit we have very little money but lots of enthusiasm. Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Kathi Soria
P O Box 1486
Avondale, AZ 85323

Thumbnail by KactusKathi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KactusKathi
Goodyear, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #6787729

I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you that sent your scraps to us for this project, the children will certainly appreciate it. Please remember it's not to late to send more and I expect over 400 kids to do this craft. God Bless You
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6796151

Hi Kathi - I just put my package of yarn together to send to you. It has some different colors - odds and ends from previous projects, but certainly plenty for those ornaments. I used to make them with my mom for Christmas tree ornaments. I also included a couple of skeins of "fun" yarn (fuzzy, hairy type of yarn) that should be a cool addition to some of the projects.

I hope you will take some pictures at the festival so you can post them here and we can see what fun they had in making their ornaments!

I will get it into the mail tomorrow.
Best of luck with the festival!
Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

KactusKathi
Goodyear, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #6817161

I certainly will and again thanks to all of you. It's always nice when people are willing to share especially in these hard times. I wanted to share a photo of "my kids" with all of you and it is attached. I thought I was retireing but my husband and I have started two non-profit organizations to benefit children. The dance class gives kids something to do which keeps them off the streets and out of gangs. The other thing we do is called Christmas Smiles and we provide Christmas for needly children in our area, we did the Head Start Program last year and provided gifts for 182 kids. My husband and I grow cactus and sell them to provide the funds for the gifts.

Again thanks to all of you for your support!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009 9:43 PM

Thumbnail by KactusKathi

KactusKathi
Goodyear, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6820000

Your package was received today and just wanted to say thank you again for you kindness.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6820420

I just LOVE that picture Kathi! I'm amazed at all the costumes. I can't imagine the work that went into that. What a fabulous group! They look superb! Kudos to you for all you do to make the world a better place. The world needs more people like that. Glad you got the yarn!
Claire
KactusKathi
Goodyear, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6821231

Here are a few of the kids in their VeraCruz costumes this influence came from Spain as you can tell. How do you like the fans? I dyed them Orange and sat with a blow dryer for a few hours drying them. lol As you can tell we are lacking boys because it's not a cool thing to be doing but we enjoy the ones we have.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009 9:50 PM

Thumbnail by KactusKathi

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6821770

The boys you have are lucky to be surrounded by such beautiful girls! They look great! The fans are perfect!! They really stand out against the white dresses and give the "heat" of the Spanish theme. Way to go!
jmp24
Medford, NJ

August 12, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #6940084

I have some yarn that I don't need...probably 4 or 5 things of it, some thin, some thick, some "nubby". Not sure of colors, I will have to dig it out first. We made these when I was a kid, called them "God's Eyes"

If you dmail me an address, I can drop it in the mail sometime in the next week or so.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America