Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Wilting in the heat

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6737521

I went out to walk through my garden (what little garden I have so far) last night to find something strange. One of my three polemonium (they're in a clump) was badly wilted. Just one--the others, planted right next to it, looked perfectly fine.

And one of my three blue/white clips campanula (also planted in the same general location) is near death. The others are growing vigorously!

I've only noticed it since we've had this high heat and humidity the past few days. The soil is uniformly moist. None of these pants gets more sun than the other. The one thing I did notice with the campanula was that some of the soil around it had sunken and its crown was too high...but its neighbors have the same problem. I added some compost around the plants to cover any exposure.

Anyone else have wilting perennials with this heat? Any guess as to what might be causing these couple plants to suffer while their neighbors look perfectly okay?
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 25, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6738850

Perennials and me - wilting.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6739245

lol, duck_toller! I've got central A/C here, but the plants aren't so lucky.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6740705

My poor rose blooms have been looking dreadful, too much water and too much wind and then too much heat. They're all brown and wilty at the edges then blow quickly. Boo hoo :-(
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6741572

What I don't get is why the two other polemonium--planted right next to the first one--and the two other campanula look just fine. I mean, I can see why my echies look droopy...they get more sun and it has been REALLY hot. (They also perk up when the sun starts to set, just as most perennials do when it's hot.) But I don't get why these two plants are pouting. :(
wadeinthewater
Verona, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6782090

Hi Kayly,

any chance you have moles or voles going at their roots? just a thought..
DianeEG
Galva, IL

July 6, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6784770

Take a look at my Jackmanii Clematis. When it was really hot and humid, it did this while in the direct sun but by the time the sun was at 3 pm, it perked right up and stayed beautiful until about 11 am the next day. Hasn't done it since the weather turned cooler. I wondered if it was some kind of protection it does to shade the inner portions from burn.

Thumbnail by DianeEG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6785126

I've learned that is the plants natural way of protecting themselves from too much stress. I was also told that when the plant does that you should wait until conditions are back to normal; if it perks up then don't water it, if it doesn't water it. I've followed those lines of thinking and everything seems to be okay. Its when you water right away each time it happens whether it needs water or not you're risking root rot by drowning the plant.
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6786181

The neighbors have all dragged out the sprinklers. I've been dosing the veggie bed and the new birch trees with lots of water, but that is it. Sure hope I'm not being dumb.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America