Have gingers blooming-

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Would be nice to see the gingers everyone has blooming. Mine are just starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Bward
Gainesville, FL

So far I only have Daniel Weeks and Clown Suit for the hedychiums. Dr. Moy and a few others have flowers formed but are not open yet. I do have a bloom on this new Curcuma...C. "Emerald". This photo is misleading, its a LARGE bloom (The whole plant is LARGE)

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

Also have Costus stenophyllus blooming

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

How pretty! I've had to move mine this year and none are blooming yet. How many colors do they come in? Mine are white, but very fragrant.

Gainesville, FL

Hedychiums come in the basic white, yellows, peach/orange, and pinks. It'd be cool if someone could hybridize a purple one. There isn't a 'true' red, although there are some really deep orange-red ones.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

One of my favorites. Years ago I would not have orange flowers in my garden-until I fell in love with gingers.

Thumbnail by Bward
Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Gothqueen,
do you know the id of the first hedychium I posted above? So many of the peach/oranges look a like. My tags keep getting lost/ thrown away by yard workers.
barbara

Gainesville, FL

Did you ever have Anne Bishop? It looks like that to me

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Yes-I wondered where she went. Thanks.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is the first bloom for me. I put it in the ground in early spring. Jeremy (JaxFlaGardener) gave it to me around the beginning of the year.

Darla

Thumbnail by Darlacooper
Gainesville, FL

Daniel Weeks is blooming all over the property. Its always the first one out (except this year Clown Suit beat it!)

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I love an early bloomer. If they do not bloom early then they must endure 104 heat like yesterday and today.

Miami, FL

This is a new Kaempferia hybrid that started blooming recently. The leaves are almost black in person. They start out bronze and end up black.

Thumbnail by ScottDurand
Miami, FL

Another shot

Thumbnail by ScottDurand
Miami, FL

Curcuma hybrid "purple gusher"

Thumbnail by ScottDurand
Miami, FL

Curcuma 'parvenu' established group planted in 2003

Thumbnail by ScottDurand
Miami, FL

Very rare Smithatris myanmarensis

Thumbnail by ScottDurand
Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

ScottDurand, does the Curcuma hybrid "purple gusher" stay that short. I love the purple tipped flowers. I have a passion for curcumas. Have a long list of gotta haves.

Miami, FL

Hi, yes it stays a medium height. Typically the largest i've had it grow is about 3 ft.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

My Purple Gusher is about 2 feet tall right now..fixing to get another bloom beside the last bloom..

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Need id-Just starting to open.

Some I have don't know location
Kewense
Samsheri
Ayo
Kahili

Thanks
BW

Thumbnail by Bward
Gainesville, FL

Do you know the names of ANY of your plants, LOL?

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

noid of course. they smell incredible smell though

Thumbnail by candela
Gainesville, FL

Your NOID looks like Kahili

Gainesville, FL

This one just came into bloom, its Hedychium urophyllum.

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

And my most favorite curcuma of all time is blooming...Sulee's Rainbow

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

And this sweet little curcuma, don't know its name...

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Gothqueen, I purchashed Sulee's Rainbow and Purple Princess today and did not know how beautiful the blooms of Sulee's Rainbow would be. Will take photo of Purple Princess today. It is lovely deep purple. Thanks for posting photo.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2009 7:09 PM

Miami, FL

Gothqueen, it's nice to see someone else growing H urophyllum. I've grown it since 2003 and I am surprised that it is not seen more often in cultivation. I think I first received it on a trip I made with Tom and Tim Chapman.

Gainesville, FL

I bought mine from Tom Wood at one of our local botanical garden sales a few years ago, same time I bought Clown Suit. I really like them both. Tom Wood has an openhouse some years, its pretty sproradic, where he sells his plants, and he shows up at the Kanapaha sales on an irregular basis. I wish he'd show up every time, I'd like to keep collecting his stuff.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Went to local nursery and and I could not believe what nice plants he had. Purple Prince Curcuma and Red banana (ensete maurelii). first will post Purple Prince.

Notice the beautiful gray blue leaves and they are thick-almost rubbery. Love it!!!

Thumbnail by Bward
Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Red banana (ensete maurelii) very nice limeie leaves with redish contrast.

Thumbnail by Bward
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Barb if you go back to the Nursery before you and Kay come down please get a Purple Prince for me. I'll send you the money for it

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

got out this morning and took some pics of my gingers I have blooming now
Curcuma Flaviflora Fire

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 9:15 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

pic 2

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

pic 3

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Costus Spicatus

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 9:14 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Costus Barbados

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

pic 6

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

K. Satin Checks

Thumbnail by DonnaB

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.