Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?: turkeys in my garden

Communities > Forums > Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?Replies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lhillsman
Elkton, OR

June 26, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6741885

will the tom and hen and 8 babys hurt my new veggies? if so what should i do that wont harm them?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6746681

I've heard they like to scratch around in veggie gardens. :-(

Depending on the size of your garden, you might try putting a chicken wire fence around (yes, turkeys fly, but they might not want to be bothered to deal with the fence), or maybe some chicken wire or other material on the ground that they wouldn't want to walk over would discourage them.

Some people feed them on the other side of the yard from the garden, but that may just encourage them to hang around and not actually reduce any damage they could do.

On the other hand, I'll bet 8 babies are much fun to watch run around!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
In the Garden irisMA 5 Nov 28, 2008 2:16 AM
Great phicks 9 Nov 28, 2008 7:43 PM
Wild Turkeys have their own website! gloria125 5 Nov 28, 2008 6:48 PM
Gardening software Petergt 1 Dec 1, 2008 2:54 PM
My life as a turkey steadycam3 4 Nov 26, 2012 7:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America