Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Soapworts - the Genus Saponaria: Blessed Soapwort

Communities > Forums > Article: Soapworts - the Genus Saponaria
bookmark
Forum: Article: Soapworts - the Genus SaponariaReplies: 4, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Potagere

June 27, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6743345

S. ocymoides creeps along a wall of my series of cascading ponds that I was otherwise unable to make look natural.
Well, its cascading stems and gorgoeus pink blooms certainly do alleviate the problem.
I only wish that it were more inhibitive of invaders (i.e. annual and perennial weeds).

I was a bit disturbed by a tenor of your article that appeared to imply that "pink" is a less desirable colour. When my S. ocymoides bloom in the Spring, their pink is so vibrant that they command the upperslope of my great pond as well as compliments (as if I had influenced their display) from visitors. It's a gorgeous plant in full flower, in even a modest planting.

Personally, I rate S. ocymoides as one of the great landscaping plants for some particularly difficult conditions. It covers a multitude of landscaping/architectural sins, but is, like too many other "groundcovers" too freely invaded by more invasive plants for general use.

I have never encountered its smaller relatives for the rock garden. I hope I will run across some of them over here, in their native environment.

Thanks for another informative article.
Potagere
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6743604

You are very welcome!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

June 27, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6744775

Excellent article, Todd. I'm not familiar with soapwort and don't have them in my garden. Maybe I should, though, after reading your description.

Angie
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6744844

Informative article on this delightful herbal plant. Thank you. I received a start of this vintage passalong plant. It had no ID and I patiently awaited blooms to receive the identification. It is delightful but suffering this year with our drought. Perhaps I should move it to the pond. Thanks again for this article... pod
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6745038

I planted some S. ocymoides last year and thought it had all died, but this spring I discovered one surviving plant doing exactly what I had hoped it would do. But I had to ask around to discover what it was, as the tag was lost!

I'll be buying more.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Soapworts - the Genus Saponaria Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy to grow in Oklahoma! darlindeb 1 Jun 28, 2009 2:00 AM
Thanks for the Info. & Pics Petalpants 1 Jun 28, 2009 11:44 PM
Soapwort Rowanberry 2 Jun 29, 2009 7:26 PM
What eats soapwort? Niere 0 Jun 29, 2009 12:48 PM
Soapwort debz4 1 Jul 8, 2009 9:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America