Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

June 27, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6744801

I need help finding a vine for covering a pergula over my deck.I would like it to a quick grower but not invsive. And of course ta long bloom time lol.Any suggestions in zone 5
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6745242

A friend of my mother's has a beautiful rose vine that twines over her portico. She said as long as she deadheads it keeps blooming all summer and even into the fall.

I'm partial to clematis vines, which are also non-invasive and darn hardy. And I believe their is a variation of the hydrangea in vine formation that can make it through humid summers and cold winters up here.
textilis
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 28, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6747832

I plant 2 or 3 different varieties of clematis together. The combination of flowers and stagered bloom time works perfect.

I also have the a hyacinth bean vine (not sure of the real name, someone gave me some seeds). It's an annual. but is hardy and grows fast.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6776319

I have a porcelain berry vine that grows on a chain link fence next to my pergola.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6776326

From inside the pergola

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6776329

You probably can't see it very well but it is also sending branches over the top of the pergola.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

July 4, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6776350

does that get small blue berries on it?
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6776366

The berries are blue, pink, & white and glossy like porcelain. I bought it in 2003 and it never did much; then one Fall (2007) I didn't get time to clean off the chain link fence before winter. The next spring (2008) I found that it grows on old wood. That was the year it went over the top of the pergola.

The berries are small so way back against the chain link fence . . . they were hard to see..well last Sept they were over the top and inside the pergola and you could really appreciate their beauty when passing through.

Last Fall, I deliberately cut it back to the top of the chain link fence because I thought if let go, it might get too heavy on the wood structure. This Fall, I'll be braver and leave it alone to see how it does next year. I can always hard prune it if it seems too much.

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6776398

Here is a better pictures of the berries from last August.

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6776401

Taken in August; you can't see it very well but it is just peppered with little berries.

Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

July 4, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6776413

thanks for the pics I did think of this one but dont know if I want berries , because it will be going over a deck and not sure how messy it will be. Birds and berrys
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6776426

I don't recall it being messy but maybe I just didn't notice; we walk through that pergola coming and going daily. I notice on my daily walks throught there more mess from spent clematis and lilies. I like to dead head the lilies and daylilies to keep it looking nice but don't even try to do that with clematis.
DianeEG
Galva, IL

July 6, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6784680

I use hybrid honeysuckle vines (Coral Trumpet (red/orange), Dropmore Scarlet (orange/yellow), and John Clayton (yellow). They do not self seed either by dropping or birds. I then plant a clematis with them. The hummingbirds love it and although it blooms heavy in spring - it continues to bloom on new growth all summer. I've attached a picture of the Dropmore Scarlet with a Jackmanii Clematis. I cut the honeysuckle back this spring so it isn't as large as usual. Sweet Autumn Clematis will vine to 30 feet and takes little care. I had it on a pergola that was mostly in the shade and it still did well. It does sometimes self seed and spread but I've never had problems controlling. It just started blooming today.

Your pergola looks beautiful! A private nook for a cup of tea or glass of wine?

Thumbnail by DianeEG

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6785900

hmmm . . . my Sweet Autumn Clematis doesn't bloom until the end of the summer.
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6786138

If you are thinking clematis - these guys are good www.silverstarvinery.com

A very nice hydrangea www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HYPEP.html

I've never bought from this site, but always wnated to. Check out the roses! www.gardenvines.com I love the blaze roses and they're on sale! Pretty and a bargain. Check out the one called American Pillar too (cool photo)

Honeysuckle is an option, just be careful not to get anything invasive. I bought one with a great smell, delicate yellow and pink blossoms that sent nasty, woody runners out into the yard.
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 12, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6808284

Autumn Clematis can be invasive. I'd stay away from that one. Jackmani is a prolific bloomer if you like smaller purple flowers. Really lovely when blooming.

I also like the idea of planting like pruning group clematis together. If you do decide on clematis, make sure you understand the pruning requirements.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America