KK's sick

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

He was supposed to come home today, but came down with a 105 degree fever yesterday. Legs swelled up too. Vet dosed him with antibiotics and banamine and we hosed him down. He felt much better after, but when the vet used a $115 anti biotic and said "cross your fingers" I freaked internally. Bloodwork results to come today. We think he picked something up at the horse park a few weeks ago that just got him now.

South Hamilton, MA

So sorry, Jenks. Hope he is feeling better & soon.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Hope he's doing better.

Shippensburg, PA

What a shame Jenks...hopefully it's something that the antibiotics will take care of and nothing really serious.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh geez, hope it's nothing more than a scare!!!!!!

Well, they don't know what's wrong. His WBC is normal indicating no infection, and his protein is normal, but everything indicating liver issue is elevated. If no improvement by tomorrow, I am to call her out again. Fever was 102 this morning, buted him and have been walking him all day once it went down to 100. As soon as I get him back in his stall, he swells, but the fever has not gone back up. I'm going to ask the vet Monday if he can come home - there is one more test she is waiting for results on, but she did say that at the time she pulled the blood work that it was nothing contagious.....

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been physically getting sick over it.

South Hamilton, MA

I'm sure getting the fever down was a good start. We are all with you. Lucy

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Gook luck Jenks!!! Hope he gets better soon and you figure out what exactly he caught.

Update? How's he doing? How is he acting?

I think he's going to be fine! He still has edema in his back legs, but his temp was only 100, and he is eating finally! Whoo hoo! He just pressed his head on my chest and stood for about 20 minutes this morning. I think he is miserable up there. Time to come home for sure.

Poor guy, needs his mom. Okay, both of them!

South Hamilton, MA

Needs his pals, also.

Lucy & PC :D

I may never let him leave again. Really.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Jenks, I am so glad he is better!! Bring that boy home...

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

How's KK? I hope you can get him home asap!

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

ugggh, I just found this! How's he doing today? And what meds did they put him on?

He's doing good today! No swelling! They put him on Naxcel, bute, and then just banamine on that first day. No bute in 2 days now.

She got the fibrinogin (sp?) results today and they were elevated. But he is getting better on the Naxcel and I think today is his last dose.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Good to hear he's doing better.

I am so thankful. I know you know....but wow. I think only my children could rival the cause of panic that this evoked. He's never leaving again. Not without me at least.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

If they decide to keep him on Naxcel, let me know. I have two full bottles in the freezer.

HOly moly. It's expensive! Thanks for the offer! Fingers crossed that it's not necessary....

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 8:54 PM

So, did she ever figure out the actual problem? I mean, other than sick pony syndrome?

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

you still got my number? check with me on expensive antibiotics before buying more than a day or two's worth. Chances are I got 'em already. I think I've run the mill on all of them at some point and fed ex next day has GOT to be cheaper than most of them. My vet now even goes into my "pharmacy" to see if I have something she wants to use before giving me something so I can use up some of this stuff.

Nope. They never did figure it out. I'm going to send the blood work to some of my vet student friends and see what they think.
I am sure I do still have your number! Thanks DD!

Jenk's. Listen and answer to cvm2002!

Rachel

Thanks Rachel. That's pretty much what the vet said minus the viral aspect. I'll have a new workup done. I'm tempted to have his titers checked too.

Wishing your horse a total and healthy recovery Jenks!

Dina seldom chime's in over there but she is a Veterinarian and will help all she can via the net.

Rachel

Thanks! I think he's OK, I just need to get him home asap!

Oh dear, he's still not home?

No, I just got back from being out of town. I didn't want to bring him home and then leave. Plus I wanted to be sure the bug he had wasn't going to spread. It's been 11 days now, 9 with no fever, so....it's time!!! I must get a trailer. Depending on others really is not satisfactory now.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

keep us updated on how he is, especially once you get him home and can monitor him daily.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Hope you can get him home soon.

Yes yes! soon soon! I'm pricing trailers. At the very least, by this weekend.

Rachel, I keep banning myself from abh, but then I go there for something innocent, and open my fat mouth. I'm going to let my subscription expire.

None of the vets on my genetics forum have said anything about KK, but it appears he's OK anyway!

Saturday!

Jenks, your a good egg;-) I don't consume myself much anymore with Tom's site.

Your horse should be OK now to bring home;-)

Keep the up-date's coming if you would like.

Rachel

Yay for Saturday!

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

woohoo! I remember how flipping happy I was to finally get Joey home after he was at camp Hilary for a few months. I can totally relate!

I don't think I've literally jumped up and down since I was little. But I did! LOL Good thing my neighbors couldn't see. Youda thunk I'd won the lottery.

Thanks Rachel! I try to stay away from it.....there are few people I do really like and have met from there too!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Good news your boy is coming home!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images