Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy Gardens: delightful article!

Communities > Forums > Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy GardensReplies: 6, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6748558

Thank you, Jan, for a wonderful article! What a way to start my Sunday morning in the garden! I like to believe the fairies visit my garden too!

Have you ever noticed in the early mornings that there may be large, web-type, patches on your ground, resting lightly on the grass? I have tons of them here and there, and usually sparkling with dew because it's so early. Anyway, my mother always told me they were fairy tents. These were the spots where fairies held their dances and parties, and of course by morning the fairies were gone, but their tents were left standing.

I've passed this knowledge onto my children, and we take such delight in seeing the dozens of fairy tents on some summer mornings. We have soooo many of them! They never fail to bring a smile to my face. That's how I know the fairies visit my garden! ;)

Thank you!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6748767

Jan: what a wonderful, whimsical article! Thank you! I have a hummingbird/butterfly garden with a great many of the flowers in it that you mentioned in your article--including asters and daisies grown from the seeds you sent me when I first joined DG in 2007! Thank you for contributing to my garden! and thanks again for this article. You have inspired me to invite the fairies to my garden.

. . .and "Dee", your mention of the "fairy tents" was a reminder to me that I have seen these in my own backyard! --so perhaps the fairies are not so far away after all! :o))
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

June 28, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6748784

Jan: This article was a delight to read, as I began my own fairy gardens a copule of years ago by adding fairy statuary, plants with fairy names, and recently added my own fairy door. I have a few signs about the garden, but really need to add a special place as you have described.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Angie
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6750846

What an adorable idea! There are woodland fairies, too, aren't there?
*wheels turning in head*...
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6752923

Dee, what a lovely thought! I'm so glad you put the fairy tent image in my head. Now I will smile, too, as I walk around and see them in the early morning. Thank you.

marsue, I'm so glad that some of my seeds are growing in your garden. and I know the fairies are just waiting for an invitation LOL

Angie, it's always nice to hear from another gardener with a fairy garden. Do you have pics you could share? I'm so glad you enjoyed the article.

KyWoods, there are absolutely woodland fairies. they are closely related to the garden fairies. you may also find sprites and pixies in your woods. keep those wheels turning and let us know what you come up with.

~ jan
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6755136

You gave me an excellent idea for a garden I'm planning, thanks! Gotta be Bambi/Thumper resistant, though...will post pics if it works.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6755178

My only problem this year is Mickey and Minnie. I hate meeces to pieces. They are chewing plants to the ground in every garden. I went out to check a trap yesterday and one ran right by me...nothing in the trap, of course.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fairy Door pixie62560 11 May 10, 2010 9:22 AM
Surprised you didn't mention our: seedpicker_TX 3 Jun 30, 2009 4:06 AM
oh I love this! MySharona 2 Jun 29, 2009 12:26 PM
fairy garden daphnep 1 Jun 29, 2009 12:10 PM
Love it deedles45 1 Jun 29, 2009 9:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America