Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kenbutsu
Somerville, MA

June 28, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6749082

I've found both the advanced search and the zip code search, but is there any way to combine the two?

For example, I'd like to search for vegetables and herbs that don't need full sun that are known to grow in my zip code (02144).
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

June 28, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6750726

At this point, I don't think there is a way to search for plants by zipcode. You can search for plants that grow in your zone with the advanced search. However, most vegetables are annuals, so there isn't a zone hardiness category for them.
jmmahnke
Monroe, WA

June 22, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8646791

I was wondering why a plant would have different cold hardiness temperatures in different zones? For instance Helenium autumnale goes all the way from -39 degrees in zone 3a to 15 degrees in zone 8b.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8647221

The temperatures that you see listed next to the zone don't have anything to do with the plant, those are just the minimum temps that you'd expect to see in that zone to help provide people who might not know exactly what zone they're in with a frame of reference. So in zone 8b your typical lowest winter temperature would be 15, and in zone 3a your typical lowest temp would be -39 degrees. But a plant that's listed as being OK for zones 3-8 can handle temps down to -39 degrees.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America