Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mgffn
Somers, NY

June 28, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6750461

My son lives north of Corcord, NH. Last year he began raising honey bees for the honey. He has been asked to put some hives on various pieces of properties that grow organically. Not a problem. On his own property he has about 10 hives. He has planted some blueberry bushes, apple trees, etc. and we would both like some help in what else he should plant to nourish the bees - flowers, anything you find helpful in that climate.

Recently he told me his bees (as elsewhere in the northeast) are not happy - with all the rain, etc.

Can someone recommend any perennials he might plant in his climate that the bees would thrive on.

thanks for your help - Mary
rosie45
Belmont, NH

July 2, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6766710

I wouldn't worry about what to plant.I am north of Concord,NH too. Bees always manage to find pollen . There's plenty of wildflowers around here that they can enjoy.For example we have : clover , daisies , apple trees etc. and sooner or later there will be the vegetable plants too.That is IF it ever stops raining !! They don't always stay in your yard to eat . It would be nice if they did .
curzio
Kenosha, WI

July 3, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6774307

see a list of companion gardening crops for bees
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/2735/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America