Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy Gardens: Love it

Communities > Forums > Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy GardensReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
deedles45
Decatur, IL

June 29, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6753136

My aunt introduced me to Lily of the Valley when I was a child and taught me the following poem. Hope you enjoy it, if you are not already familiar with it

White coral bells
Upon a tender stalk.
Lilies of the Valley
Guard my garden walk.

Oh, how I wish
That I could hear them ring.
But that happens only
When the fairies sing.

Also, my brother lives in Ark and his yard borders on a very wooded area. When his nieces were small, they discoved a hole in a tree about 14 inches from the ground. Harry told them that a "little man" lived in there. For about a year, the youngest who was 6 or 7 would leave food for him and tiny treasures, including a small ladder that Harry made for him. These treasures would always disappear and sometimes the "little man" would leave something in return, acorn top cups, a tiny button, etc. Many friends were introduced to the home of the little man and many happy hours were spent looking for him and for treasures to leave for him.

You just have to believe.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6755204

I have heard the poem and it is lovely. And so is your story about your brother's 'little man'. Thank you for sharing :0)

~ jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: If you build it, they will come; Fairy Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fairy Door pixie62560 11 May 10, 2010 9:22 AM
delightful article! DiggerDee 6 Jun 29, 2009 9:02 PM
Surprised you didn't mention our: seedpicker_TX 3 Jun 30, 2009 4:06 AM
oh I love this! MySharona 2 Jun 29, 2009 12:26 PM
fairy garden daphnep 1 Jun 29, 2009 12:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America