Little Yard Tour of containers

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We have had an extremely late spring. We removed a very large trampoline and I have been digging grass. Ran out of steam so I made a few container beds on bark mulch.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a circle view in the back yard. Lots of buds, so next week it will look very different

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Red Tea Roses (budded) with Creeping Jenny

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still a little construction in the yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Fountain area

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Garage

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Greenhouse with rose pots & pink tone flowers in pots

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

New area claimed for gardening where the tramp was

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

kitchen window box

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Veggie garden

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

View from the swing

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

View from the greenhouse

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

From the swing

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Front yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Backyard gate

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Front North

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Front South...end of tour

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Joanna,

I love your yard and gardens! Will you come do my yard?
Sarah

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Joanna,

Beautiful garden !! I love all of your settings especially fountain area.

Tomtom

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tomtom,

What is the symbol on the back gate? I bought it thinking it says welcome, is that correct?

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

absolutely beautiful! How do you water all of the containers? Here in TX it is a challenge to keep everything hydrated!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Takes about 1-1/2 hours to do the entire yard. Most containers are large enough that they do not need to be watered every day. All the lined wire baskets have a heavy plastic liner with bottom slits for drainage. Here's my gardener in training & she is about 5 feet tall. she can reach all the baskets easily with this water wand (48")

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oops...was on my work computer & had to change to my personal to get the picture. Here it is

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Beautiful garden, joannabanana! Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Joanna,

Yes,you are right.

歓迎 is generally used as meaning 'Welcome'
迎 means 'welcome'
歓 means 'with pleasure.'

It's a well-meant symbol .

Tomtom

Orange, CA

Thank you for the tour Joanna. Your yard shows a lot of beauty and hard work. I, like Texas Liz, have a difficult time keeping plants watered. Here in SoCal it is usually parched. At the most we might get 13" inches of rain a year.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the beautiful pictures, Joanna. Our containers here in south Texas don't look like yours.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks everyone. This year is about 3 weeks behind normal for everything. We even had a freak snow storm & frost the 2nd week in June. It was VERY discouraging. Still hasn't got very warm and the nights are very cool

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Yikes, you ARE in a cold climate in zone 3a. I am suffocating down here in zone 9 with triple digit temps everyday.............and only 2" of rain since Jan. 1.............you know we are jealous of you.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing. I always look forward to your pictures. Did you do any wintersowing this year?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes I did about 36 jugs. Finally got everything cleaned up today.

Milwaukee, WI

you need to make myour conrtainers self watering I am have very good luck with the ones I made only about once a week need watering twice at most

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well we finally got several weeks of good weather and everything took off. If you would like to view some recent pictures, check out the thread in the Canadian forum

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004151/

Cliff Dweller, WA(Zone 8b)

Joanna!
Thanks for taking the time to post all those photos! I SO LOVE seeing "normal" people's back yards! Such a wonderful way to start my morning...sipping coffee and enjoying your beautiful efforts! My local gal-pal (aka partner in crime) and I do at LEAST one yard tour a summer and we always enjoy the yards that are done by the homeowners ...and not professional yard services. I love the green house views! I'll be right over to just sit in the yard and enjoy! :)

Also, I love your bold pops of that blue color (chairs, doors etc). My home is a very neutral pallet...and I have been trying to think of a fun color to put on my front door and one small gate. The Feng Shui rules say flame red (due to the direction my door faces)...but...I'm not sure I'm ready for that...lol

Wonderful efforts! Obviously a labor of love!

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Here's my planters as of a couple of days ago. It's taking about 20 minutes each day to water. Luckily, we've had enough rain this week that I haven't had to water since Sunday. Really weird for us to have any rain in July, much less the several inches we've had.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Irwells50,

Nice pic...everything looks so lush

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

joannabanana - Loved your photos. What a beautiful yard you have! I agree with Highmtn, I like seeing "normal" people's yards better than professionally landscaped ones. I find it's more inspiring to see what others have done themselves (not that professional jobs aren't beautiful, mind you...). I especially like how you hung the two window baskets above your garage window. Great idea! That leaves space below it for more containers.

Irwells50 - Beautiful! I'd say the 20 minutes a day are definitely worth it. Your containers look so lush and full! I would never guess that you live in a dry area.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Irwells Thats a beautiful arrangement of containers.
I like them against the brickwork
These are some of mine

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks. I keep saying I'm not going to plant as many next year, and I always do it anyway. I'm lucky that we have some college students that work for us, and I can just have one of them come by and water before they go to work if I'm going to be out of town.

Cliff Dweller, WA(Zone 8b)

Irwells...

Gorgeous! I love container plants! You can control the fertilizer and watering so much better, but you're right...LOTS of hand watering.

ge1836
Nice photos too!! Thanks for posting

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.