Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Duck pen 'floor'

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 5, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LoreenH
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6759619

I am starting to make plans for our duck pen and not sure what to do for the 'flooring'. I live in Portland, Oregon and we usually get about 40 inches of rain a year. Someone posted pics of ducks in a pen that had grass, I don't know if that would get too muddy here or not. One idea I read was to put down a couple of inches of pea gravel and top that with several inches of golf course or builder's sand; that way you can scoop the poop like you would in a litter box. I am thinking about combining the two ideas and having the grassy area at the end where their pool would be. No they won't have a built-in pool, but have a kiddie pool like the other ducks I've read about here...they will probably be spoiled enough...LOL. I will have 3-6 ducks (supposed to have no more than 3 but will try to get away with 5 or 6). Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6760035

I line my floor with a thick layer of pine straw so i can spray the poop down and not have a muddy mess. I add fresh on top in spring and fall since it does break down
karbear71
Kent, WA

June 30, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6760604

I had a couple of ducks for a very short while so I don't know to much. But the one thing I would recommend is putting the pool on an area that has drainage like pea gravel. My ducks were SO messy especially with their pool which the loved!!! Wished I could have kept them but they turned out to be both males and they were getting rough with my chickens.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6765557

My Ducks make mud pies out of any water on the ground my kiddie pool is on the grass and they splash out the water.
They then get out of the pool and doodle in the spilled water cleaning their bills off in the pool. (this keeps the pool messy)
I'm going to try and put stepping stones or something like pea gravel under the pool to stop then getting so much mud in the pool.
My Cayugas are free range but my calls are in a 10x11 foot ground pen on just a dirt floor and i sweep it occasionally but it does get really messy when it rains.
I have heard of pea gravel and straw being used you could try "Back Yard Chickens" thats where i got all my duck info from.
There are alot of duck breeders and keepers on there

LoreenH
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6768178

Harmony, thank you so much for letting me know about looking on 'Backyard Chickens' for duck info. I had seen the site but never looked at it because I thought it was only about chickens. There is lots & lots of duck info there too. After looking at everyone's pics here & at the other site I want duckies NOW!!! LOL! Unfortunately my budget won't allow for any yet. I am hoping to get them by early spring.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6768215

Your Welcome i got all my info on my Ducks there and it helped me alot.
I was even on a thread there with folks encouraging me and helping me thru my Calls hatching which was a nerve raking experience.
I learned about waters and pens and feed it's been so helpful in my first time with ducks.

I hope you can get some they are awesome i just love mine {:~)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America