Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Roses

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 30, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6759814

You zone elevens, what roses do you have? I'm looking for monster fragrance, like Angel Face, or Fragrant Cloud.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 1, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6761026

Sorry Molamola, no roses here on Kwajalein.

Yokwe,
Shari
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6761641

Roses don't fare well here in our NW Florida area, either - with Knockout roses being the exception - all the others in my yard have just gotten black spot and literally melted! I'm getting ready to pull them out and put them in the trash - such a waste of good money!

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 1, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6761797

Rosa chinensis does well here but is not very fragrant.

Rosa x odorata does well and is fragrant.

Both are resistant to the mildew, disease, and Rose Beetle problems that plague other Roses here.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 1, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6761974

I've resisted buying any roses here, they just never seem to do well that I've seen. Most of the ones sold here are actually grown in the highlands of Mexico and brought in and sold before the heat and humidity get to them. The ones that I have seen growing sort of well, great for here but not so great if you are from somewhere they really thrive, are climbers at a nursery and they are under shade cloth. I haven't seen one yet in someone's yard that didn't have powdery mildew and was sparse with small blooms.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 1, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6761979

Don't know much about roses but I do know that they don't go well with heat and humidity. Often we get southerners moving up here wanting to grow roses. The only ones they sometimes manage to keep going for a while are what's called "floribunda roses", a small variety.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 1, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6763695

Hmm, thanks for your comments!

I thought if I got some from Louisiana or someplace like that, that are !! virus-free !!, they might do well.

OK, we'll see.

Cheers,

Melissa
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6764056

Melissa,
while in Miami, I've had several roses. Bad thing was that I bought them from HD, and they were sick to start with. However, constant care and spraying for black spot (that was my problem) kept everything under control. I only had fragrant roses: Angel Face (my favorite, for it's unbelievable color and scent), Garden Party (very fragrant), Don Juan (Fragrant), Gold Medal (fragrant), Strike it rich (fragrant), Chicago Peace (has some fragrance, but weaker than the others, BUT was the most vigorous, the healthiest overall, and the most disease-resistant in my conditions), Mirandi (fragrant). I didn't like Mirandi too much, because it sent blind shots quite frequently, but when it bloomed, it was gorgeous! My gardening friend (also in Miami, we lived in the same house for 3 years) has Oklahoma (fragrant red) and a few he grew from cuttings from mine.

Miami is 10b, as I remember, and I had all these roses in pots (nematode problems with the soil for all Florida).

Hope it helps.
Alexandra

(Chicago Peace)

Thumbnail by goofybulb

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 1, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6764215

Super. I love Angel Face, first named rose I ever had, long ago in Virginia.

If you wand fragrance, try Fragrant cloud, IF you can find the buggar. They're always sold out.

I haven't heard if there are bad nematodes here. Everything that could be imported has been, so they must be here too.

I should NOT look at rose catalogues!

OK, thanks,

Melissa

goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6764479

Melissa, last time I looked at Vintage Gardens, they had Fragrant Cloud! Available. They also have Angel Face, my favorite above others.

Whatever you do, do not succumb into temptation, do not buy roses from box-stores! They are doomed to be sick, I learned from my own mistakes (repeated mistakes, mind you) and it's a struggle from the beginning.

I don't know about other rose nurseries, but Vintage gardens has a promotion right now (just received an email from them), LMK if you want details.

Good luck with your rose quest!
Alexandra
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 2, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6765556

Ha, no box stores here. I am even leery of buying from the small nurseries that import from?? I've seen a Weeks lable, not good. That virus is awful. You spend the money, do everything right, and the rose just withers away over two or three years. It's the virus, not the gardener.

OK, off I go to drool over roses, heehee. Thanks for the heads-up!

Melissa

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America