-
AuthorContent
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6760149

Last year, only my orange tiger (L.lancifolium) had bulbils, so I was really pleased to just discover that at least 2 of my new lilies have bulbils too!!!! I think (no blooms yet) they're Blood Tiger (from buggy) and Robinson's Comet.
What other lilies are bulbil-bearers? And does anyone know how long it takes a bulbil to become an adult flowering lily?
Mainiac
Poland, ME

June 30, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6760264

2-3 years
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6760492

Thanks, Mainiac. That's not too bad at all - especially the 2 part of your answer!
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6769975

Sharon I have Bulbils on the new Orange Tiger one I was sent last fall..
But so far not on my yellow tigers that produced a bunch last year...

Are these all in the same genre/family/catagory??
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #6770071

Phyllis, that's what I'm trying to find out. The orange tiger bulbils I sent you last year were, I think, lancifolium. The only info I could find on the internet was that crosses between lancifolium and other lilies are likely to produce lilies with bulbils. I couldn't find any other info, which is one reason why I'm asking here - but nobody's answering!
The bulbils from the yellow tigers you sent me last year are in a starter bed, and have only one leaf each so far. How are the ones I sent you doing?
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6770083

Their in the Tiger lily bed in a pot..with lots of one leaves also
I got smart and put them in a pot and buried the pot so they'll be easy
to remove and keep track of..
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6770360

My main bulbil making machines are all from buggycrazy:

Momentous
Blood tiger
Rochelle
Firetruck (bulbils forming in the upper axils)

Buggy may have others that do this that I don't know about...
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6770404

Hi There! I was just lurking in the Lily Forum and came across this thread. I'm no expert on Lilies but I do know that 'America' makes bulbils and it's an asiatic. I have 2 of them and on one of them there is tons of bulbils and the other has none. I don't know if it makes a difference but the one that gets more sun is the one with the bulbils and this is the first time I've seen them on these lilies and this is their 3rd summer. So maybe it has something to do with age?

Steven
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6770475

Phyllis, my starter bed is so small that I couldn't lose mine - and I wanted to give them enough room, because I don't know how fast they grow.

Thanks Pardalinum. Isn't this bulbil thing great?! I'll have to check those out and see if they have lancifolium in their genes, or if any others make bulbils too. Maybe I should ask buggy about it. (PS - by the way, my pardalinum made its first blooms this year! I think it was you who advised me last year when they only grew a foot or so and died back. That was their first year here).

Steven, are you sure that "America" is a straight asiatic? I'm not familiar with it. Will look it up. Thanks.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6773826

Production of bulbils is originally a characteristic of certain species of lilies: L. lancifolium, L. bulbiferum, L. sulphureum, L. sargentiae, are the ones I can think off the top of my head. Hybrids that include any of these in their parentage, may (or may not) produce bulbils.

As you can see, all of these species are not all closely related, so no, they are not grouped in the same "family".
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6773918

Leftwood, again you're a fount of knowledge! Thanks! I'm not at all familiar with those - except lancifolium. Do you know what exactly the category "asiatics" refers to, if it can incorporate a bunch of different parentages, since several of the ones with bulbils are listed in that category?
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 4, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6777084

Asiatics are first and foremost, of Asian origin. It's a big group, and somewhat ambiguous, since trumpets and orientals are from Asia (mostly), yet they are not termed "Asiatic". These are names (trumpet, asiatic, etc.) given by the trade, and not botanical classifications. Although, it is true that asiatics as a group, are more closely related to each other than to any in other groups. Asiatics are most often (but not always) upfacing and outfacing, rather than down facing. A characteristic you can use to describe asiatics in general, but not one you can use to differentiate them from other groups, as other groups have up and outfacing flowers too.

All the species I listed are from Asia, except bulbiferum (Europe). Sargentiae and sulphureum are trumpets.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6777904

Thank you Leftwood! You're extremely patient and good at clarifying things.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6790273

I'm not sure what the parentage of 'America' is but it has bulbils. I used to have a NOID red/orange asiatic some years ago that had bulbils too but I lost it somehow.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6790731

Thanks SW. I can't find it listed anywhere except in plantfiles. It is peculiar that one of yours has bulbils and one doesn't, if they're the same age.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6790756

Sharon..All the Tiger ones that had bulbils on them last year so far have none..
And one that didn't... does this year...it's the only one I see so far..
Maybe it's not a every year occurrence...
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6790798

Phyllis, how's this for a theory - Maybe your adult ones that produced the bulbils last year died off, and the ones that came back are from its younger bulbs and they're not grown up enough yet to produce bulbils. - ??? So the one that didn't have bulbils last year is now old enough to produce them. ?? Makes sense to me.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6790840

I dug all mine up last year and replanted them...and all the bulbs are accounted for...
So unless they all died off I don't know...
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6790874

Maybe they didn't like being dug and replanted, so they're rebelling?
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6790902

But the one producing Bulbils was dug and replanted too...
It's in the same bed as the others..
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6790943

Some interesting reading..I have alot of offsets this year...

http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop.html
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6791459

Great stuff Phyllis. I've read it all before, but haven't done much digging up yet, since most of my lilies are pretty new, so I don't really have the "how to's" of this stuff in my head yet - but I will have to do a bit of it this fall.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6792296

When you dig lily bulbs up...be careful cause 9 out of 10 times their not where you think they are..
and you end up cutting the bulbs in half...they move themselves around and send up their stalks
lots of times at an angle...So start out and work your way in...carefully...LOL
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6793138

Thanks Phyllis. I know that some came up far from where I planted them.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6795291

I found stem bulbils on Zeus and Tiger Babies for the first time this year. I assume its from the L.lancifolium genes.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6795755

Hooray! I planted Zeus last fall (just flowered - does it get more than 2 feet tall next year? I was surprised how short mine are.) - And I ordered Tiger Babies for this fall. I just love those bulbils because it makes me think they'll increase more rapidly - and I can trade them too, before I have extra bulbs. How long have yours been planted?
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 9, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6795999

Anything special happen with your Zeus and Tiger Babies this year, Neal? BTW, Zeus (that you gave me) is doing better then ever. I love it. I've never seen bulbils on in or Tiger Babies.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2009
10:26 AM

Post #6796765

I think this is the 4th year for Tiger Babies and the 5th for Zeus, and they were both short the first year, but have been 3-4' tall ever since. They both do increase nicely.

Rick, glad to hear Zeus has done well for you! Same here with the Tiger Babies you sent- I wish more cultivars were as strong as these. The main difference this year is we're having a really pleasant growing season, cooler than usual, plenty of natural moisture, and relatively few pest issues. This is the 3rd year they've been in their current location.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6797319

Thanks Neal. I'm glad my Zeus is likely to grow up.
Well it's interesting to discover that bulbil-capable lilies don't necessarily produce bulbils, nor do it every year. I wonder if anyone has an answer as to why this is?
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 9, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6797926

That is what I was trying to discern from Neal: what it was that made his Zeus and Tiger Babies produce bulbil this season, when they normally don't.

From the aforementioned "Mike's" site:
The formation of bulbils can be induced in some varieties by cutting off the flower head before they get to the small bud stage.

I supposed he could add that there are other unknown factors that may also spur bulbil production. It's pretty tedious though, and since these factors are so ambiguous, I think I would leave it as he did. His site is fairly good, but I do take exception to his treatment of species lilies. Take my advice and skip that section.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6801228

Something interesting I observed today about those stem bulbils- each stalk only has a few (3-5), and they're concentrated around the top of the stems, right around the inflorescence. Not like the Tiger Lily that has them all up and down the stem.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 10, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6801235

A normal expectation for those varieties that don't usually produce bulbils.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6801391

Interesting stuff. I wonder if the unusual cooler than normal and rainy weather has something to do with Neal's lilies producing bulbils. I know lots of strange things are going on in my garden with the exceptionally cool and rainy weather. I have an aconitum blooming and helenium and japanese anemone in bud, all 1 to 2 months early. If the weather's telling them its fall and they haven't yet reproduced, maybe bulbils are a way to do that. ???
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6823469

The one with bulbils got more sun so maybe that had something to do with it? And the other day a vole chewed through the stalk so hopefully it'll come up next year as it was really nice!
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6823808

I have bubils on Tiger Lily Splendens-no surprise there,on Commander in Chief-a cluster at the broken tip,on Queen of Spades-low on the stem and on Red Dutch-also low on the stem.
We have had extremely hot weather with one full week over 100 degrees.The temps have moderated now to their usual low to mid 90's.These temps killed the tops of some varieties but the bulbs seem to be ok.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6823981

That's really interesting ("a cluster at the broken tip"). It's beginning to appear that they'll do whatever they have to to reproduce. that and the extra hot weather there - the extra cool weather here - insects and animals going crazy chewing on them...
I assume that you usually don't get bulbils on Commander in Chief , Q of S, and Red Dutch?
SW, make sure those bulbils take, to be sure you'll have more.
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 15, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6824019

I have a lot of lilies making bubils also. I have to make a list. Pink Panther from Buggycrazy is actaully making them this year.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6824071

Thanks Mainiac. You would know a lot better than a lot of us who usually makes bulbils and who doesn't. Is this unusual for a lot of yours?
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 15, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6824096

Yes, the only one that comes to mind in past years is Robinson's Comet. But it seems like I am seeing them all over the garden. I will start a list!
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6824455

Please do. Thanks.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6824687

Zeus Pink makes bulbils too.

Thumbnail by Moby
Click the image for an enlarged view.

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6826154

That's good to know. I hope my Zeus will make bulbils. It's its first year here, and so far hasn't.
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 16, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6827987

Nutcracker!

Thumbnail by Mainiac

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6828003

I think Zeus is different than Zeus Pink?
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6828099

Yes, they're different which is why I've added it to this thread. Buggy makes reference to it being similar to Zeus, but not necessarily related.
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6828620

oooooh I need a Nutcracker; it has been on my 4n want list. Thanks for posting the photo, Mainiac. It really does look super.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6829453

Yes it IS lovely.
Neal mentioned bulbils on Zeus too. It had slipped my aging mind for a minute.
Mainiac, waiting with baited breath for the rest of your list!
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2009
5:13 AM

Post #6829605

Bait breath? hee hee ;)
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 17, 2009
9:04 AM

Post #6829799

I won't have time today...
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6830803

It's an old expression, y'know Moby. Anyway, I'm not going to hold my breath.
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6832325

I was sure to collect them off the broken lily...but I think I lost them. Silly me :)
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6834087

Hope you find them, SW.

As Moby correctly pointed out, I don't have worms in my anticipatory breath, at least to my knowledge.
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 19, 2009
8:59 AM

Post #6837024

Sorry to take so long. I took a good look yesterday and I really didn't find as many as I thought I had seen. I think the only other one is Zeus. Sorry if I disappointed you. If I find any others, I will let you know.
Chocolatemoose
North Pole, AK
(Zone 1)

July 19, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #6837088

I have bulbils on 13 different varieties. Some bulbils are rather large, some very small, some at the top of the stalk, some all the way up the stem, varying quantities. Seven of them didn't bloom this year, some bloomed very well. Some were new to me this year, three are third year bulbs from The Lily Garden and have never bloomed. They've come from various vendors...Our summer has been unusually hot and dry, with everything blooming earlier than usual.

Seems Asiatic is the common denominator for the most part in this list.
Firetruck, Marilla, Starburst, Blood Tiger, Taco Sauce, Zeus, Zeus Pink, Champagne, Cathedral Windows, Bali Hai, Loreto, Yellow Star and First Crown.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6838664

Chocolatemoose, sounds like you're the jackpot winner this year!
Hot and dry in AK? Are you really in Zone 1?
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 19, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6838697

I found another one today but it hasn't bloomed yet so i will need to wait until then before I will have a clue on what it is.
Chocolatemoose
North Pole, AK
(Zone 1)

July 19, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6838718

We'll go down to the minus 50's several times during the winter for a couple days to a couple weeks and will stay in the minus 40's for weeks at a time. North Pole (south of Fairbanks) is located between two mountain ranges so very little wind. An arctic desert all year. We've had more 80 degree days (and a couple 90's) in the last 3 weeks than we've had in the last few years during an entire summer ...Last year we had the cold, wet a lot of other parts of the country have this year.

I'm originally from CT, 1/2 south of the MA border. Where is Jamaica Plain?
dlefferts
Agawam, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2009
5:44 AM

Post #6840360

Chocolatemoose, I live in Agawam, MA. Did you live in Suffield? I have enough trouble with the weather here. How can you bear it in AK.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6841361

Jamaica Plain is part of Boston. I can't even imagine what minus 40 or 50 would feel like (to humans or plant life). And we have barely started our hot weather this year. I don't think we've hit 90 yet. How strange the weather has been!
Breeze1947
Milan, OH

July 22, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6851259

I have a tiger lily when you all talk about bulbils are you talking about the seeds that are all over the stem from top to bottom. I know that I started out with just one and now have about 7 out there blooming. I just figured the seeds dropped and that is how I got the new ones. Am I correct if not please let me know what bulbils are. My tiger lily is orange I am wanting to get the other colors they are so pretty. I have lilies all over my gardens but these are the only ones that I have ever seen seeds on.

Breeze1947
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6851288

Hi Breeze. Yes, we're talking about those little bulbs that grow along the stem. Your new lilies could either be from dropped bulbils or from the bulbs forming under the ground.
Breeze1947
Milan, OH

July 22, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6851418

Thanks perenniallyme for the information now that I know what you are talking about when is a good time to pick them off I would love to get them growing in other area of my gardens. Also if I wanted to do some seed trading over in that forum would this be something I could use to trade?

Breeze1947
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6852107

If what you're seeing is like this http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6824687 then they're not seeds, they're little bulbs, hence the name bulbils. They can't be stored like seeds as any type of lily bulbs is never truly dormant.
They can be traded as long as both parties understand how to handle them and that they need to be planted promptly.

Bulblets are another way that lilies clone themselves and these grow along the stem, underground.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6852231

Breeze, if they come loose when you touch them, you can pick them. Otherwise, I'd wait til they're loose and ready to drop. They're also not hard to find on the ground after they drop.
Breeze1947
Milan, OH

July 23, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6854854

Thanks for the information I thought I could store them so I need to just take them were I want them to come up and get them in the ground. As far as trading them not a good idea because I don't know what I am doing. Help me here please I am very interested in getting them growning in other area of my gardens.

Can you tell me how to handle them for trade this is very interesting to me. I am talking to experts I love this any information would be helpful. Lilies are one of my favorite plants I have them all over my gardens and I go every year about this time when I find them marked down and buy them up I think I have bought about 25 this year already. I am looking for more interesting ones that can grow in zone 5. I seen one posted in here called dots and dashes been on different web sites looking for them with no luck.

Breeze1947
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6856375

Breeze, if you're going to trade them, you should do it right away.

I'm no expert on planting them, but since they drop to the ground and root themselves in nature, I wouldn't plant them very deep. Maybe someone else has better advice.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 24, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6857164

I would plant them a half inch deep. You can store them for trade in a ziplock bag with barely moist peat moss or vermiculite, just as you might store larger bulbs, or similar to the ones you would buy mail order. I would keep them in the frig, or they might sprout, and you need to pass on this info to the one you trade with too.

P.S. I have a non-blooming Pink Panther making bulbils, too.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2009 8:43 PM
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 24, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6857452

We need a comprehensive list of bulbil makers. And from this thread, here it is. Please correct any mistakes. I will keep the list updated.

Always = the type produces bulbils ever year.
Sometimes = plants must be induced (somehow) to produce bulbils.
Unknown = I couldn't tell by the post which it is of the above.

Alex 2 - unknown
America - sometimes
Bali Hai - unknown
Blood Tiger - always
Cathedral Windows - sometimes
Champagne - unknown
cheryl Ann - sometimes
Commander in Chief - sometimes
Dryrot - always
Firetruck - sometimes
First Crown - unknown
Indian Brave - always
Lilium bulbiferum - always
Lilium lancifolium - always
Lilium lancifolium var. flaviflorum - always
Lilium lancifolium 'Flore Pleno' - always
Lilium leichtlinii - sometimes
Lilium leichtlinii var. maximowiczii - always?(please see discussion below, beginning July 25)
Lilium sargentiae - always
Lilium speciosum var. album - sometimes
Lilium sulphureum - always
Loretto - sometimes
Marilla - unknown
Momentous - always
Nutcracker - sometmes
Ove - always
Pink Panther - unknown
Prawn Tiger - always
Queen of Spades - sometimes
Red Dutch - sometimes
Robinson's Comet - always
Rochelle - always
Starburst - unknown
Taco Sauce - always
Tiger Babies - sometimes
Tropical Dream - sometimes
Yellow Electric - unknown
Yellow Star - unknown
Zeus - sometimes
Zeus Pink - sometimes

This message was edited Feb 2, 2012 10:32 PM
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6857681

Wow -Thanks, Lefty! So by unknown, you're saying at least sometimes, but possibly all the time?
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6857794

I just checked my Pink Panther and it has bulbils along the upper half of the stem. This is my first year for it so I don't know if that is the norm.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 24, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6859161

That's right perenniallyme,
Unknown = the person who posted regarding said lily was unclear (at least to me) in his/her writing, whether the bulbil production is "sometimes" or "always". But it is at least one of them.

If known, I would appreciate a clarification.

---------------------------------
Actually, I have two first year Pink Panthers from bublets, one blooming, one not. They both are growing bulbils.
Mainiac or anyone else, what say you? Is PP sometimes or always?
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 24, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6859396

I never really paid attention before (regarding bulbils). Except I know Robinson's Comet always seems to have them.
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 25, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6862980

This one has bulbils -- first year for me. Cheryl Ann

Thumbnail by Mainiac

Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 25, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6862982

Alex 2 has some bulbils coming on the lower part

Thumbnail by Mainiac

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6863002

Great - love those bulbils. I'm finding that while my lancifolium bulbils grow fast and quickly detach themselves from the stem, the bulbils on blood tiger (very large now) and robinson's comet are still stubbornly stuck to the stem. Especially peculiar as these have already bloomed, while my lancifolium hasn't bloomed yet.
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009
6:58 AM

Post #6866116

I'm a bulbil fan, too! I'd put Taco Sauce in the "always" column for me. Last year both Buggy's vds#4 and l.speciosum album had tons of bulbils, so far none this year.They were new for me last year, though. I haven't seen any on Zeus or Firetruck either, but I'm having a hot and dry summer this year-could that be contributing???
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 26, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6866665

Taco Sauce, duly noted. Susybell, are you sure about Lilium speciosum var. album last year having bulbils? Seems very unlikely (but not impossible) that any oriental would priduce them.

Anyone else have bulbils on orientals?
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6867584

Yes, my 'Cheryl Ann' has a ton of bulbils too.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 26, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6868410

Every year for Cheryl Ann, Mags?
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6868769

1st year lily here, so I can't say.
roomformore
Penticton, B.C., BC
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #6874349

I also need advice on lilies, My white casablancas 4 yrs old looking elegant until a stargazer got mixed up, now all showing pink. What happened and will my white ones return?
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6877148

Lefty, yes, I'm quite sure-was quite surprised myself last year. I figured it had something to do with one being a species lily? Vds#4 looks closely related to speciosum as well. Anyway, as a result, I've got a load of baby lilies this year. It'll be another year or two before I know who I've got for sure, though.

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6877454

Not sure if this counts, but this lily known as DC #1 had bulbils last year and this year. It had bulbils present even before its first blossom. Of the DC's that have bloomed thus far, it is the only bulbil maker that I have seen.

Thumbnail by magnolialover

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6877769

That's one gorgeous lily, Mags. Definitely needs a new name and to get out into the world.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6877912

Thanks P-me for the nice comments. I really like it a lot, we shall see how she does over time, but she's still blooming as of tonight, so she's lasting quite a while out there. She gets points for producing bulbils, don't you think :-)?
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6878218

Absoluetly! Free babies? Can't beat that.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6886364

I just noticed that my Yellow Electric (first year here and a bit short and scrawny) has teeny weeny bulbils. Had to take a 2nd look to be sure they were there, but they were. None on my Electric though.
inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

August 4, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6903950

Some years ago I moved provinces in early june so nipped off all buds as soon as I saw them. You'd be surprised at the numbers of asiatics that produced bulbils.

Mainiac, thanks for the picture of Alex 2. Now I have another one ID'd. BTW, did you know that Alex 8 has finally been registered as Burnett's Beauty. Most of mine are labelled Alex who knows #.
Do you have Alex 3 & 4 as well? If so what colours are they.

inanda
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6905828

Inanda, that's really interesting that bulbil formation can be induced that way.
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6922845

Buggy Crazy's Dryrot formed a few bilbuls in it's 1st year.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6923687

Why would anyone name a lily "Dryrot" (dry rot)? Are you sure that's right?
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6923764

I've seen it on buggy's website.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6923785

LOL Yes, that's the name. Lisa has a sense of humor.
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6923812

I think she named it after her roof or house or something like that.
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6923822

I see she has a new Asiatic coming out this fall named Starven. Somehow I think there is a bit of hidden meaning to that one...

http://buggycrazy.vstore.ca/index.php/cName/lily-bulbs-asiatic
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6923921

Okeedoke . . . added to the list.

If Dryrot has bulbils and a flower this year, I'll change it to "always".
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6924844

It did have a single flower this year.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7969567

'Tis the season for bulbils. Zeus Pink has a lot this year.

Thumbnail by Moby

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7969929

That's great, Moby. Who else?
It seems like there are far fewer bulbils here this year than last. Lancifolium, of course, Blood Tiger, and Robinson's Comet have them, but less than last year. I haven't noticed any others.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7971561

Remember everyone, I am still updating the
"Official DG List of Bulbil Bearing Lilies."

It can be found in this thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6857452

Additions and corrections wanted!

Rick
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7971632

Thanks, Rick!
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7972135

Rick, Lilium lancifolium 'Florepleno' (Double Flower Tiger Lily) always has bulbils.

Thumbnail by tggfisk

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 18, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7977698

Thanks, tggfisk. I added it since it is a "common" one that might be confusing.

Everyone, please assume from my list, that if it is a species lily, all types, varieties and cultivars of that particular species will have said characteristic (unless otherwise specified).

For example:
- Lilium martagon
- Lilium martagon var. album
- Lilium martagon 'Claude Shride'
are all different, but are the same species.

plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7995149

Hi everybody.
I can report that L. leichtlinii and L. leichtlinii maximowiczii both produce bulbils. The former in my experience only when it is a blind stalk. Last year I had the biggest bulbils I have ever seen on a blind stalk, (see photo). The L. leichtlinii maximowiczii produces a lot more, so much so that I wonder if it has some L. lancifolium in it. (I got them in trade simply as "red tiger"). Also, of course, L. lancifolium flaviflorum has them too.
David

Thumbnail by plntsrok

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7996867

What makes you think it is L. leichtlinii var. maximowiczii and not lancifolium?

And where did you get the supposed L. leichtlinii?

I've never heard of L. leichtilnii producing bulbils, nor do mine from the SLPG(Species Lily Preservation Goup).
http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/leichtlinii.htm
http://www.deflorum.com/species/leichtlinii.html
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7996889

P.S. If that is supposed to be L. leichtlinii in the immediate background of you pic too, then you definitely have an imposter. L. leichtlinii pedicels (the flower stems that originate at the vertical stalk) are at practically right angles with the stalk.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 6:44 AM
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 26, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7997480

Well, I just went out and looked at my L. leichtlinii this morning, and it seems the pedicels after flowering do ascend a bit more, enough to make that pic of yours within a species variance. But, this is only an FYI. I still question it's species designation.
plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7997789

Cool your jets "Lefty". All my plants look exactly like the ones in Darm's photos at Species Lilium. I got the bulbs from BD.

Thumbnail by plntsrok

plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7997816

Also, what makes me think it is not L. lancifolium is that I am not an idiot and I have both the possible L. leichtlinii maximowiczii and L. lancifolium and the difference is obvious. Here is L. lancifolium:

Thumbnail by plntsrok

plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #7997818

...And here is the other one

Thumbnail by plntsrok

plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7997822

OK?
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8000578

Gosh, really I only wanted to get to the bottom of your assertions, as experts far more learned than us disagree with you. I can't tell if the variance in you maximowiczii pic is within the parameters of the species or not.

I am not going to argue. My jets are "cooled," and I truly didn't mean any malice, but my plane hasn't turned around. I don't recall ever referring to you as an idiot, but I will say I have called myself that sometimes. LOL

I'll put your experiences on the list. Regarding maximowiczii, perhaps you can find some supporting evidence from another source that I couldn't find. With such dissension between you and what seems to be all the other experts, herbarium specimens, etc., I feel it only fair to include a caveat.

Rick

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 3:28 PM
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8001124

Nicely said, Rick- you're always a gentleman :-)
plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #8001903

Actually I got the "red tiger" from the same person twice. The plants received the first time do not have bulbils, but the second batch has had them. I have become less sure of the "max" ID as time goes on. I will try to locate some correspondence I had on the subject of bulbils on L. leichtlinii with at least of the Lilium group people.
grapus
Andebu
Norway

July 29, 2010
1:25 AM

Post #8003791

This is an Latvian hybrid named 'Ove'. It have a lot of bubils.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by grapus

grapus
Andebu
Norway

July 29, 2010
1:35 AM

Post #8003792

This one are also from Latvia. Don`t know it`s name. It has some bubils.

Thumbnail by grapus

grapus
Andebu
Norway

July 29, 2010
1:44 AM

Post #8003793

Here is a bether picture of 'Ove'

Thumbnail by grapus

Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8003993

Very nice. I especially like your second lily.
Mainiac
Poland, ME

July 31, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #8008217

Just wondering, Lefty. Do lilies sometimes have bulbils and sometimes not. Last year my Nutcracker had bulbils but this year none...
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #8009734

That's where the "sometimes" comes in in my list. Most often I'd say the bulbil inducement is the non-flowering stem. But it could be anything, even weird weather.

BTW, if anyone can help out, the "unknown" on my list means I couldn't tell by the poster which it is (always or sometimes).
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6857452

(I did change Nutcracker, Mainiac. Thanks)

plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8009995

I would concur about the blind stalks being the most likely to have bulbils. The L. leichtlinii that had them last year had flowers this year and no bulbils.
No luck finding the correspondence but it said, as I recall, just what is being said here that (some?), stems without flowers are more likely to produce bulbils than stems with flowers.
David

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010 10:02 PM
plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8021522

On L. leichtlinii and L. leichtlinii maximowiczii:
There was a long thread on the subject, (with offshoots into taxonomy), in the Yahoo Lilium group recently. Beginning on June 25 I believe.
David
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #8021662

Yellow Electric has bulbils this year...
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #8022073

'Cheryl Ann' has bulbils this year. I hadn't recalled that from other years. So maybe the "sometimes" category would work.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #8022440

Pard, can you be more specific? Did Yellow Electric have bulbils all the other years too?

--------------------------------------

Yes, I've been following the yahoo lilium group. No significant discussion of bulbils that I remember, unless I missed it.

Actually since the yellow form of leichtlinii seems never to occur outside those few islands in Japan, I am inclined to think it may be a true variety. Even notwithstanding your pics, plantsrok, it seems other characteristics gleaned from other sources are different too. But I have to agree that mostly, color is not enough for a varietal differentiation.

Rick

pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #8022649

Since I didn't mention it earlier in this thread I'll so no. I do recall going out and checking all of my lilies last year...

Interesting... Firetruck has not a single bulbil for me this year. It does have a huge healthy stalk and bloomed it's head off, just very recently finishing up.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #8027961

Does that mean Firetruck should be a "sometimes" producing bulbils, or should I make a new category - "most of the time"?

Rick
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #8028074

In reviewing this thread I see that susybell reported that her Firetruck did not have bulbils. Perhaps "sometimes" would be appropriate.

I noted another lily with little bulbils in the upper axils today but will have to check on the name tomorrow and report back.
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #8030131

It was Tropical Dream having the bulbils. First time I've noticed them.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8741125

Some substantial bulbils on 2 stems of Indian Brave

Thumbnail by Moby

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 7, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8743415

Thanks, Moby.

I was just thinking that it's about time to resurrect this thread...
plntsrok
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #8992060

Last summer, at my grandmother's cottage, (where L. lancifoilium were planted in the 1930's or 40's, the lilies that 1st sparked my interest), I noticed three plants in a row, next to the path down to the lake. I am VERY curious to see this summer whether or not they will bloom as L. lancifolium flaviflorum, I put several bulbils in that area a few years ago. If they bloom yellow they will be the first known-for-sure plant from bulbils for me, (although I suspect some of the propagation in my garden may be due to them as well).
I saw fewer bulbils last summer, except on the lancifoliums of course.
Anyone have any thoughts on the effects of this very mild wet winter on lilies? I know the effect will very greatly with different species, I only hope some of them like it.
Rick, I don't know now why I got so fired up that one day long ago, Must have been having a bad day. Sorry.
David

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #8992064

If bulbils are the baby bulbs that surround the main bulb ,then my Asiatics have them. Even OT Shocking.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #8992459

Bulbils are on the stem, Jo. You'll see them in pictures above at the leaf axils.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #8992848

Jo, check my pic 3 posts above yours.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2012
1:57 AM

Post #8992933

Thanks ladies.I have several of Lisas lilies that do that.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #8993153

You got some good looking bulbils there, Moby.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #8993402

That Indian Brave sure makes some good ones. I don't think I've ever seen bulbils with so many scales.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #8994755

Oh guys, not to change the subject, but speaking of lilies, I'm afraid I won't be planting any more, and will probably be digging up a bunch of them in the spring, as the lily beetles were really terrible this year, and I had a hard time keeping them under control. Less lilies, less lily beetles and inspections and beetle massacres to deal with. I sure hope they won't be traveling to your areas, or you'll see what I mean.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #8994764

So sorry to hear it. I'm praying the lily beetles all die.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #8994781

So am I, pirl! I've had them for several years, but was always able to get most of them before it became a big problem - that is, until this past year. This year (2011) I saw them crawling up out of the ground (never saw that before) in April and it was a huge battle until fall.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #8994864

That would dampen the dreams of any lily lover, I'm sure. It's not fun when nature seems to work against us and our plans.

The Bayer drench didn't work?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
2:38 AM

Post #8995158

I also use Sevin to drench as soon as the lilies peek out of the soil.No beetles here.I also spray duering the season while they are starting to bloom.

Sorry about your crop.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #8995916

I haven't tried bayer or sevin. I try to keep away from the really toxic pesticides, though I've been using neem oil to some extent. Mostly I knock the beetles into a jar and drown them, and pick off any leaves that have larvae deposits and drown them too. It worked pretty well until recently.

Thanks for the sympathy, ge.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #8995919

I bought the Bayer but haven't used it. I wanted it "just in case" the lily beetles cross Long Island Sound.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #8996240

I have used pesticides for years and still have bees,butterflies,birds,spiders ,you name it. Ihave noticed an absence of fireflies all over the country but thats from the univeasla use of lawn chemicals.
Bayer products all have imidiclopris ( sp) it attacts soft skinned insects ie larve. It is necessary to drench when the beetle is in the larve stage.Early spring, just as the lilies break ground.
It is a product that is also used for bearded iris.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9615226

Does anybody know if L. michiganense gets bulbils?

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9616811

My bulbils did not appear until about a month after the blooms went. I am watching to see if they grow larger. They were on the asiatic "cocktail twins," and I'm hoping they will be good growers. They were very pretty reddish orange lilies.
Marcia

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9619006

I just noticed this thread.Hi,I have a question,I have grown lilies for years,but paid no attention to where I planted them.Then this year,where I had 'Pink Perfection' trumpet several years ago,these 5' gangly weeds showed up.I thought that they looked lily-ish,but no bulb underground.Could that have been a spent seed,or bulbil?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Lilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
lilium White Henryi lincolnitess 55 Jan 1, 2008 4:30 PM
The sickness continues... ivory 268 Oct 23, 2007 9:34 PM
Lily Germination Leftwood 8 Apr 21, 2007 7:20 PM
Fasciated Lilys menkids 108 Dec 6, 2007 2:20 PM
my Lilium seeds germinated bloomoon 10 May 8, 2008 3:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America