Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Orange beetle by tomatoes and carrots.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

I found a small orange beetle on a carrot leaf, planted under my tomato vines. I am not good at posting photos on the internet, so I can not post one. It looks similar to a "fungus beetle" from looking on the internet, but am pretty sure that is not what it is. I think that I have seen them in garden magazines before, but do not remember what they were called.

Sinks Grove, WV

Whatever it is, if it doesn't look like the carrot beetle at http://tinyurl.com/meaubn, you probably don't need to worry about it.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks suunto. Close, but no cake. lol Mine seems to have longer antennae and a little more slender.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

I am pretty sure it is something to worry about, as it has to eat something, and it don't look like it eats other insects. I also have banana peppers and potatoes close to where I found it under my tomato vines.

Sinks Grove, WV

Did it have spots or any other markings that you could see? Also, could you give a rough estimate as to its length (such as 10mm, 1/2 inch, etc.)?

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

No spots. I believe almost 1/2 inch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.