Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: It's Fiesta Time: Yummy-Looking Salsa!

Communities > Forums > Article: It's Fiesta Time
bookmark
Forum: Article: It's Fiesta TimeReplies: 4, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6765771

Stephanie, Great Explanation & photos on canning tomato salsa; looks so yummy I wanna go get out the chips! =)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6766127

You have inspired me, Stephanie! We have an overload of tomatoes and I can't wait to follow your recipe. I don't usually put anything in jars but this salsa is just too tempting.
Thanks for writing the article!
gail
Pelfrey1
Ooltewah, TN

July 12, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6810287

Stephanie, I am just now getting in tomatoes and you have inspired me to can again this year. Last year I canned some tomatoes with basil, but this year it will be Fiesta Salsa!
I can use it in spaghetti sause and chili, too. My spaghetti always has a little chili powder, so this will blend in quite well. I also tried out a new system last year of canning in the oven, but your simple water bath has me thinking I'll go back to the way my mother taught me. The jars are much easier to clean when you use the contents. The oven method left an almost burned on rim around the top...but I might have dooked it too long.
Thanks for a great recipe and explanation.
Happy canning!
Andrea

Thumbnail by Pelfrey1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 11, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7959429

Plefrey:

Oven!!! I have never heard of such, I did not know it was possible.

But I suppose that it is heat like everything else.
Did you have much trouble with the food bubbling up to the top of the jar, and getting under the rubber seal?

That is interesting!
Maybe some thing new to try!
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

July 12, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7962554

Here deep in the heart of salsaland (New Mexico), I make a very similar product. The major difference is that I do not cook the salsa first because I like a very fresh-tomato taste. I put the raw mix---and YES, chunky is good---into hot, sterilized jars and then process as for canning raw tomatoes in their own juice. As I recall, that takes nearly an hour once I add on the fifteen extra minutes in the canner to compensate for the altitude here, which is 5,000 feet. The Ball Canning Guide, my bible during the summer jar season, has complete instructions. For goodness sake, consult it before canning anything.

Other variations: lime juice instead of vinegar, chopped fresh majorum (sorry---can't spell today), lotsa garlic, sometimes I add some basil too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: It's Fiesta Time Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
IF my tomatoes grow, I'm doing this! carrielamont 6 Jul 11, 2010 11:30 AM
cooking time 604stretch 3 Jul 12, 2010 8:24 AM
Just what I was looking for! pixilated 0 Jul 12, 2010 8:26 AM
Thanks! FlowrLady 0 Jul 8, 2012 10:01 AM
salsa gardengirl86 0 Jul 9, 2012 3:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America