Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Lovely Lamium: Lamium - purple dragon - seeds?

Communities > Forums > Article: Lovely Lamium
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lovely LamiumReplies: 3, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ewarchery
Lenoir City, TN

July 2, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6768345

I have a fairly good size area that I want to put the purple dragon in. All the plants at the local nurseries recommend planting about 12" apart. I would need about 100 + plants and can't afford that. Are you aware of any seed source for these that I could start this winter/spring and then transfer to where I want them? I've "googled" and can't locate anything.
Help. Thanks.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6768568

I think, as they are mint relatives, they are very easy to start from cuttings. I'm not sure 'Purple Dragon' makes viable seed.
ewarchery
Lenoir City, TN

July 4, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6776855

carrielamont, Thank you for responding. I guess I'll pick up one or two from my local nursery and see what I can do.
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7823905

Ewarchery, you should also probably try to contact Dan Brown, who has planted hundreds (!) of these plants. He has responded on Dave's Garden on this entry. As Carrie Lamont already noted, seeds don't do the job on this plant. Cuttings or division are probably the ways to go.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lovely Lamium Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love your lamium Hemophobic 3 Oct 13, 2008 1:24 PM
Lamiums LeathaStewart 1 Oct 11, 2008 9:50 PM
Lamium mykeac 0 Oct 13, 2008 8:11 AM
Lamium ajl 0 Oct 13, 2008 3:16 PM
purchase some lamium with golden foliage rigaut 1 Oct 15, 2008 2:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America