Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: Peel and stick vinyl tile

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 8, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maryky
Hudson, FL

July 2, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6768782

We have been thinking about installing the peel alnd stick vinyl tiles in our kitchen over top of existing tile. Do these tiles really stick?
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

July 2, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6768890

They stick...but they slip too...I put them in a bathroom once...never again!!
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 7, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6787484

It depends on the type of tile you have in there currently. If it is a smooth surfaced tile (no texture to it) they should work just fine. You'll want to remove any wax or grease that may be on a kitchen floor. Clean it thoroughly and rinse it well. If they are a decent brand, they'll give you several years of serviceable floor covering.

The house I'm living in right now has peel and stick tiles in all but the bedrooms. They clean up well, you can use a "Mop n Shine" type product to make them shine and I've never had the issue 'slipping' that threegarderers spoke of. That's just my experience though.
RobinDz
Oklahoma City, OK

July 12, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6809004

I have never had any slipping and I love the improvement in looks that I got for the ease of installation and the low cost. They do dent, like if something sharp is dropped hard, just like a linoleum would do, or a tile perhaps would crack. That is precisely WHY I decided to go with self-stick vinyl tiles. If one became damaged, easy fix. :)

I like the LARGER tiles, they have fewer seams and just look a little nicer. I would take the time to find those. I found them at Lowe's.

Good luck!

Robin ;-)
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

July 18, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6835352

I used peel and stick tiles in our "attic"-type storage area over the garage. I let the first couple rows set a few days, and then checked; it looked like there was going to be a little "slide" to them, & a little too much lift at a few of the edges. I used an additional adhesive when I laid the rest. The vinyl adhesive was kind of messy stuff, spread with a notched trowel, but the ooze cleaned up with a little gas on a cloth, & the tiles are rock-solid in-place now.
The tiles I used were higher end for vinyl tiles, so they were fairly durable. I still checked to be sure the gas wouldn't damage the finish before I used it to clean up any tile surfaces.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 18, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6835819

Couldn't help but notice that the ones who had problems with slippage were from a cooler climate. And those of us in the warmer zones didn't seem to have that issue. Maybe the temperature has something to do with it. It could be that they need warmer temps for the adhesive to work properly. I wouldn't think maryky will have that problem in Florida, if that is what causes it.
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

July 21, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6844322

Good observation, DesertPirate! I put mine down in an unheated space in fall, too, so it was quite cool. In my case, the rather porous subfloor probably would have caused a little lifting at the edges, anyway. For maryky, a warm clime and a smooth sub-surface should make for great results.
Twincol
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #6944686

Hmmm, interesting idea about the temperatures. I grabbed some tiles from BigLots last week, figuring I'd lay it on the concrete floor in my garage in front of my washer/dryer and fenced in for the dogs during the day. I was wondering about the need to cover the concrete surface with something before I tried to lay down the tiles. It was 103 degrees here yesterday. Plenty warm if temps are a consideration, LOL.

Ideas about covering the concrete?

Linda and The MopTops

Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9137674

I know this thread is a bit old, but hop someone will read it!

@ maryky ~ I read your post about using sticky tiles. I'm also using the 18" x 18" size sticky tiles to put down as flooring material in my storage shed outside. When I bought the sticky tiles, it was also recommended that I buy a "self-adhesive tile primer" ~ brand name is "Henry." It comes in a couple of sizes, so I bought a quart size jug. Just use some paint rollers that you can trash later, some disposable paint trays and you're in business. You can get this "self-adhesive tile primer" at either Home Depot or Lowe's.

I've got 1- 1/2 more rows of tile to put down & by using this "primer" ~ it has worked great! No lifting at corners either. One other tip that I must share is this: 'use a wooden rolling pin to "roll" down on the tile to help it set up a bit better.' The liquid is white when it comes out and you only use a little at a time, you roll it out on the area you need & then put your sticky tile adhesive down [roll until the liquid is almost absorbed]; carefully peel the paper backing off, carefully put the tile down and then roll the rolling pin! Ta Da!! That's all you do! Keep up the same process for the rest of your tiles. If you're working with a patterned tile, make sure you keep that pattern going in the same way.

@ Twincol ~ you mentioned wanting to use sticky tiles on a cement floor ~ get some of this adhesive that I mentioned, then test a tile in an area that won't be that noticeable. If it stays put, then you feel more confident about using it where you want to use it.

Good Luck to you both!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America